Skip navigation

Tread Marks and Vista?

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Tread Marks > Tread Marks and Vista?
Pages 1 2 3
Level 13 Human Unaffiliated Game Maker
Alignment: Chaotic
Posted on March 8, 2007 at 10:46 am

Hey, I never had a single problem with ME, ever, XP however was a hell hole in my opinion and I abandonned it for many years after I first used it, until LOTR: BFME finaly demanded it, along with several other games.

And I'm sorry yes I'm not sure I was old enough when ME was released to remember anything at all, but I have never installed any patches on ME and I've not had any problems. I'm just about used to XP by now, but I'm sure if Vista was added to that poll back there it would easily have the longest bar...

Level 13 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on March 8, 2007 at 12:01 pm

Yugo, you fail to consider the extreme lack of games now made compatable with anything below windows XP. For me, Windows ME was the best version of windows.

Stable, simple, does what you need, no need to upgrade.

and btw, why consider downgrading? Isn't getting Vista downgrading? :lol:

i personally liked 98 SE best i only upgraded to 2000 to run Doom3 (then i saw theres a patch for win 98 support)

dang it

Level 13 Human bookkeeper
Posted on March 10, 2007 at 5:11 am

I've been running Windows for years (since Win 3.1). Before that it was an Amiga. But Vista has so turned me off of wanting to upgrade my Windows box, I'm almost certainly going with a high end Mac Pro system on my next upgrade, sometime in the next few months. It's due for an upgrade this year, and I plan to do it. I'm just debating how many addons I want for it :). Do I add 2 of 4 GBs of memory, for instance? How many HDs do I add in after I get it from Apple? I'm not paying the Apple premium for equipment addons...no reason to...I can get them significantly cheaper from Newegg.

woohoo and heehaw!! :)
just grab yourself a copy of codeweavers crossover office and you'll be enjoying treadmarks in full screen 1600x1200 glory! i know i do.

well, considering a mac pro can handle 16GB of RAM and four 750GB hard drives and 2 DVD superdrives... actually i'm just jealous :)
but i do enjoy my 24inch iMac, i wanted to make sure i had firewire 800. it beats the pants off usb2 anyday of the week.

Level 15 Human Jack-of-all-trades
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on May 27, 2007 at 7:11 pm

Incedentally, I wonder if the intel-based mac os can be installed on any intel box.

Yes, I'll try and get you a link to the port.

Posted on May 27, 2007 at 7:17 pm

Vista irritations:

Task: Unzip addons, tell Vista to put it where it belongs.
Result: Vista puts it somewhere else.

Task: Unzip multiple addons, tell Vist put put it where it belongs.
Result: Vist put it somewhere else and you get one Addons folder, somehwere else, for each unzip process.

Recommendation: Don't use Vista.

Work-a-round if you have to use Vista: Install and configure somewhere else, zip down entired installation with addons. Unzip and play from shadow directory where Vista puts it because Vista won't put it where it is supposed to go without a whole lot of gymnastics.

That's not a bug, it's a feature.

Ubuntu Dapper is a pretty decent home disto, SuSe Linux is a decent office Distro.
Harmless plays TM using ?Linspire? I think or, did he go to Mac and run Code Warrior Office?

Level 13 Human Sr Code Monkey
Alignment: Chaotic
Location: lost in the evil lands, of soccer-mom piloted minivans....
Posted on May 27, 2007 at 7:49 pm

Hmmm. I'll look into making a mod manager. It shouldn't be a problem. ;)

Posted on May 27, 2007 at 11:37 pm

I'll try and remember to turn on the laptop and tell you where Vista put it.

Level 13 Human bookkeeper
Posted on May 28, 2007 at 7:30 pm

the server i have at home is xandros linux that includes codeweavers crossover. it is a PIII 500Mhz with 768MB RAM, and it runs a TM server just fine. current server name is harmless enough with killer's one shot mods.

i play treadmarks on my 24 inch intel iMac, via codeweavers crossover. i run treadmarks at 1600x1200 and experience no lag problems even when playing mod intensive games like the xmas 2006 mods or the 85weapons and powerup mods, with 16 other AI tanks running around.

it suits me just fine, and i don't have to bother with the unique nuances that are offered by microsoft operating systems.

toodles,
harmless
:)

Level 11 Human Writer & Computer Consultant
Alignment: Good
Posted on July 30, 2007 at 5:35 pm

Vista irritations:

Task: Unzip addons, tell Vista to put it where it belongs.
Result: Vista puts it somewhere else.

Task: Unzip multiple addons, tell Vist put put it where it belongs.
Result: Vist put it somewhere else and you get one Addons folder, somehwere else, for each unzip process.

Recommendation: Don't use Vista.

Work-a-round if you have to use Vista: Install and configure somewhere else, zip down entire installation with addons. Unzip and play from shadow directory where Vista puts it because Vista won't put it where it is supposed to go without a whole lot of gymnastics.

That's not a bug, it's a feature.

Ubuntu Dapper is a pretty decent home disto, SuSe Linux is a decent office Distro.
Harmless plays TM using ?Linspire? I think or, did he go to Mac and run Code Warrior Office?
I agree with you in essence. However, I solved the problem before it began by not using C:\Program Files\Treadmarks 1.6\ as the base directory. Since I use C:\Games\Treadmarks 1.6\ as base, it works even under Vista.

Level 13 Extraplanar Programmer
Posted on July 30, 2007 at 10:14 pm

Oh, this thread is still active.
If you have the latest copy of Tread Marks, you don't actually need to unzip your addons into the Program Files directory anymore. See this post for details.

Pages 1 2 3