Skip navigation

Tread Marks and Vista?

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Tread Marks > Tread Marks and Vista?
Pages 1 2 3
Level 14 Human wizard
Alignment: Good
Posted on March 5, 2007 at 2:58 pm

Stupid Miscrosoft.

You can say that again! They are ID10TS! Vista is full of Trojan Horses and other restrictions.

Some other players, especially at one of the other forums I visit called Neverforum (link not included for safety reasons) hate Microsoft as well.

Level 15 Human Jack-of-all-trades
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on March 5, 2007 at 5:57 pm

If you are serious about moving to linux, look for Harmless' post on using CrossOver Office to get TM to run.
I know it resides on this forum but I have a copy of it here for reference.

Level 14 Human Shadow
Posted on March 5, 2007 at 7:49 pm

TM also runs under Wine. I've run it there in the past, though you need to install it not on a Win32 partition mounted on Linux (it has problems linking files when done that way). Dreamer wrote up some details on his setup: http://38.112.120.110/ubb/Forum2/HTML/002398.html

--RC

Dreamer:

This topic hasn't been touched for some time now...
Well, I've tried to start TM under Linux in that Windows emulator called wine . Guess what: It works. Pretty well, too. Had to adjust a setting in the configuration file in order to make TM grab and keep keyboard focus from my system, but then everything worked well.

Networking: Good. TM times out exactly one time on the master server, then checks the web page (we know that from windows, eh? dreaded. does anyone understnad why it does that?), finds it, and there we are: challenge reply. Finding servers works. Logging in works. Synching ents works. Fragging people works. (Note: AI-BWL on Paranor's Demo server behaves like it's set up to be exceptionally stupid.)

Graphics: Perfect. fps are a little lower than under windows, but that's what I expected, anyway.I can play at 20-25 fps with my GeForce2 GTS/T-Bird 800 system (@1024x768, terrain tris 7000, view distance 750, trilinear on, textures at 512) and that's perfectly acceptable for me.

Almost forgot lag: My ping says 260 on Para's demo server and that is really low for me (connecting from europe). Very nice.

TM won't work in windowed mode (at all), however, and I have not tested voodoo support. On the other hand, even resolution changes from within the game are handled well, so it's pretty hard to make TM crash.

One more thing: If you want to try this at home, make sure to use a really recent version of wine (i tested with version 2002/03/10, latest version is 2002/09/05, afaik), and do make sure OpenGL works on your system - in hardware mode! -, or you are going to be disappointed.

Linux - scared of consoles, cryptic commands, bad documentation? Don't be. Download a recent distribution (e.g. RedHat 7.3 or Mandrake 8.2) and try to install it if you've got some unpartitioned space left on your harddisk. rtfm or you are going to break something if you don't know what you're doing, however.

RedHat or Mandrake offer a tool that allows you to install their linux distributions in the unoccupied space on a windows formatted harddisk partition, too, so that might be an option for the less adventurous among you.

PS: Setting up a TM server under wine/linux should work just as well...

PPS: Phew.

Posted on March 6, 2007 at 12:13 am

Just a little trivial addendum for Dreamer's post; the reason why the server times out the first time is because master server is no longer where the fresh install thinks it is.
Luckily for us, TM was written smart enough to look for a new server on the web site as long as LDA remembers to update it, it works.

And now, to play around with TM on my Ubuntu tinker laptop top. Gonna be a problem not having a Fat32 partition to work with.

Posted on March 6, 2007 at 12:17 am

So my next curious thought is can I get it to run on a Mac, just inherited on.
LOL.

Level 13 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on March 6, 2007 at 10:23 am

I was doing a bit of research into virtual Pc (i think i can check later at home) and thinking about it, could you get tread marks working on vista running a virtual Xp?

Taken from the website

Virtual PC lets you create separate virtual machines on your Windows desktop, each of which virtualizes the hardware of a complete physical computer. Use virtual machines to run operating systems such as MS-DOS, Windows, and OS/2.

i can do checks on this and see if i can get Ms Dos working on my Xp system.

Level 13 Human Unaffiliated Game Maker
Alignment: Chaotic
Posted on March 6, 2007 at 11:55 am

Wow, Dos games working on XP would be nice :3

You're all so much smarter than I currently am XD And yes, I haven't got a clue about linux, I just hope game production companies have the sence and kindliness not to make things Vista exclusive...

Level 12 Human Tinker
Posted on March 6, 2007 at 12:21 pm

Or we could all just read a book and ignore computers for a day. It only postpones the inevitable, but it can be a refreshing change.

<prepares to be flamed>

:twisted:

Level 14 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on March 6, 2007 at 9:02 pm

If you are looking to upgrade your OS, may I suggest you actually downgrade. I have been faithfully running 2000 now for six or seven years and it is totally stable, frugal, and fast. It has the consistency of NT with most of the plus of XP, w/o the RAM scarfing. No weird stuff or adware or anything else. It actually does what you ask it to. The only user-geared difference I have seen (other than not having the usual XP disadvantages) is that the slideshow/preview for image files in a folder is not available. For that I use a free 3rd party accessory.

Hey, what is going on here? Progress is generally measured in terms of benefit, not size, bells/whistles, or additional costs. Seems to me like the software provided in this new release is actually not a vista (read EXPANSIVE NEW VIEW) but a new version of tunnel vision (read MYOPIA).

I think this is what they have antitrust law for. -Y

Level 14 Human Shadow
Posted on March 6, 2007 at 10:01 pm

Yeah, getting dos games working on Win95/NT series OSes is usually impossible without DOSBox, but that tends to be slow and jerky due to poor video emulation. It's actually somewhat easier (and more reliable from what I have read) to get dos games going on a Mac running Parallels Desktop.

Level 14 Human Shadow
Posted on March 6, 2007 at 10:04 pm

Hey, what is going on here? Progress is generally measured in terms of benefit, not size, bells/whistles, or additional costs. Seems to me like the software provided in this new release is actually not a vista (read EXPANSIVE NEW VIEW) but a new version of tunnel vision (read MYOPIA).

I think this is what they have antitrust law for. -Y

I think it also explains the 100%+ jump in sales for Apple between January a year ago and January this year. Included in that is a 194% growth in Mac Laptops and a combined 28% growth in all computers.

Meanwhile, until the end of this month when Adobe releases CS3, Mac graphics artists have little reason to move from G5's to Mac Pro's, so I would expect to see the sales of Apple increase shortly after Adobe puts out their new software.

I've been running Windows for years (since Win 3.1). Before that it was an Amiga. But Vista has so turned me off of wanting to upgrade my Windows box, I'm almost certainly going with a high end Mac Pro system on my next upgrade, sometime in the next few months. It's due for an upgrade this year, and I plan to do it. I'm just debating how many addons I want for it :). Do I add 2 of 4 GBs of memory, for instance? How many HDs do I add in after I get it from Apple? I'm not paying the Apple premium for equipment addons...no reason to...I can get them significantly cheaper from Newegg.

Level 14 Extraplanar Programmer
Posted on March 7, 2007 at 6:26 am

If you are looking to upgrade your OS, may I suggest you actually downgrade. I have been faithfully running 2000 now for six or seven years and it is totally stable, frugal, and fast. It has the consistency of NT with most of the plus of XP, w/o the RAM scarfing.
I still like Windows 2000, and run it at home, but Microsoft has deprecated it, which causes a few problems:
* No Windows updates. I could live with this for at least another year or two.
* No Microsoft games will run on Windows 2000. Again, I can live with that. After all, we're still going to support Windows 2000 for Hegemony >;)
* No updates for the DirectX library, which I need for programming Hegemony. This is rather frustrating.
So my next curious thought is can I get it to run on a Mac, just inherited on.
LOL.

I don't (currently) own a Mac, but there's CrossOver Mac, as well as a few WINE ports for the Mac.
I think it also explains the 100%+ jump in sales for Apple between January a year ago and January this year. Included in that is a 194% growth in Mac Laptops and a combined 28% growth in all computers.
I would also attribute this to the fact that a Mac laptop is now comparible in price to a Windows laptop.

Level 12 Human Tinker
Posted on March 7, 2007 at 6:46 am

Bah. People just wanted better fishtanks

:wink:

Level 13 Human Unaffiliated Game Maker
Alignment: Chaotic
Posted on March 7, 2007 at 11:11 am

Yugo, you fail to consider the extreme lack of games now made compatable with anything below windows XP. For me, Windows ME was the best version of windows.

Stable, simple, does what you need, no need to upgrade.

and btw, why consider downgrading? Isn't getting Vista downgrading? :lol:

Posted on March 7, 2007 at 2:37 pm

Someone, please!!!!
Please!!!!!
Tell me 2nd Self was kidding!!!!

Worst Windows Poll from a Windows Support site.
or
The 25 Worst Tech Products of All Time.

Level 12 Human Tinker
Posted on March 7, 2007 at 4:58 pm

Yugo, you fail to consider the extreme lack of games now made compatable with anything below windows XP. For me, Windows ME was the best version of windows.

'Cept for that nasty RAM leak that they took forever to fix. :)

Level 14 Human Shadow
Posted on March 7, 2007 at 5:07 pm

ME stable!?!?!?!?!?

Please tell me you were joking!

Level 12 Human Tinker
Posted on March 7, 2007 at 5:08 pm

Someone, please!!!!
Please!!!!!
Tell me 2nd Self was kidding!!!!

Worst Windows Poll from a Windows Support site.
or
The 25 Worst Tech Products of All Time.

Those are some fun links! I dare not agree that the top five on the Worst list are the five worst of all time- after all, Sourceforge itself is a graveyard for some truly nasty items just as much as it is a wonderland of excellent applications and widgets.

RealPlayer is a soul eater. I have a special dislike for it There are alternatives available that mimic the Real co/dec, though, so no more problems from that quarter.

Completely agreed concerning Windows (M)istake (E)dition (glad I am that someone else calls it that, too), yes. It tried, it tried very hard, but the thing was a mess. If I regress and use a Windows prior to XP on anything, it is Win98 SE for the old DOS games and whatnot. No sense using 2000, ME, or anything else that might have occurred in that dark age of Windows unless one's hardware is just not up to using WinXP.

Level 12 Human Tinker
Posted on March 7, 2007 at 5:22 pm

ME stable!?!?!?!?!?

Please tell me you were joking!

2ndSelf is probably using it with the multitude of 'fixes' put out for it, I am guessing, and likely did not witness the chamber pot stink that exuded when ME slew its first round of unsuspecting consumers many years ago. He may not even be aware of how nasty the thing was at that time. Not that it is much prettier now, but at least with fixes installed, ME will stay up for a day or two...

...if you give something to the local houngan or mambo. Maybe. Praying for deliverance helps too.

:twisted:

Level 12 Human Tinker
Posted on March 7, 2007 at 5:59 pm

Yugo, you fail to consider the extreme lack of games now made compatable with anything below windows XP.

This part, at least, is sad yet true. No argument from me.

Pages 1 2 3