Skip navigation

K's Issue

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Longbow Support > K's Issue
Level 13 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on December 7, 2006 at 3:33 pm

K (player) aka Kevorkian has a problem and I volunteered to announce it:

K has dsl cable connection... fair pc system...
been playing with a demo all this time so I advised to get the full version...
so he got the full version 2 weeks ago but the problem remains:

He plays for about 30 minutes to an hour and then ping jumps to 1200 +

Sometimes when he logs-off and comes back 2-10 minutes ping stays well for another 30 minutes to an hour....

I asked him to check for 1 addon folder (new install so skip that), viruses and such (K insists has none), also asked him to update graphic card... but the problem remains...

Anyways, sometimes his ping stays 100-200 for a long time and then jumps to unplayable ranges....

Any ideas? Thanks.

Level 13 Extraplanar Programmer
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on December 7, 2006 at 4:46 pm

Does he have anything that could be running in the background and using up his internet bandwidth? Windows update? Anti-virus updater? WoW updater?

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on December 7, 2006 at 8:01 pm

I did ask him the same question... any program open in the background whatsover?= nope :|

Level 13 Human bookkeeper
Posted on December 8, 2006 at 2:32 am

does he play any other game online?
does he have the same problem with them?
next would be...
how is DSL setup?
is his DSL modem hooked straight into his computer?
or does he have a DSL router in between?
check cables, swap them out for other ones,
the router could be getting too hot or acting spotty.
move the NIC card to a different slot in the computer,
try out a new NIC card and move it to a new slot.
i had DSL for 2 years before moving to cable.
DSL was great for the first year, the 2nd year was nothing but problems.
good luck with it.
harmless

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on December 8, 2006 at 12:13 pm

yes, no problems

how is DSL setup?
is his DSL modem hooked straight into his computer?
or does he have a DSL router in between?
check cables, swap them out for other ones,
the router could be getting too hot or acting spotty.
I believe straight connection (cable to modem, modem to pc)

move the NIC card to a different slot in the computer,
try out a new NIC card and move it to a new slot.
I'll share that with him.

i had DSL for 2 years before moving to cable.
DSL was great for the first year, the 2nd year was nothing but problems.
I think it depends on the company and how many people they are trying to squeeze with their bandwidth....

[color=#FF0000:b416b05014]
I'll try to persuade K to post here, for any/all of these questions.... it would be better if he'd answered them... Thanks for the help so far though!</em>

Level 15 Human Jack-of-all-trades
Posted on December 8, 2006 at 12:58 pm

Hey Pab,

Have K run a speed test from [url]http://nitro.ucsc.edu</a>.

There are some recommendations there for modifying the OS layer interraction with the network stack.

I hope he is running some kind of router between his modem and system(s).

Is he running Internet connection sharing?

I have been running a DSL connection for several years because cable doesn't offer static IP or sufficient upload bandwidth in my area. I have found that periodically, I need to recycle the modem, interconnecting switch and the firewall to stabilize the circuit.

On the SonicWall forum I use, their subscribers there constantly recommend adjust the MTU on the firewall to 1492 from 1500 (the default). Do a key word search in google or what have you for instructions.

Consider installing NetMeter (free utility) [url]http://readerror.gmxhome.de/http://readerror.gmxhome.de/</a> (pop up block recommended) and making sure that nothing is happening on the NIC during the problematic periods.

Consider paying extra for a static IP is he doesn't already have one. Telcos a notorious for under provisioning the networks and he may actually be experiencing forced IP changes.

If he has an A/V application that includes a built-in firewall, he has properly disabled the Windows firewall and the A/V firewall has decent controls; consider resetting the allowed outbound connection and setting a prompt for outbound connections. The one I use, Panda, allows for this and it allows me to add appliations manually like TM so that the application doesn't crash when the firewall asks whether to allow/deny.

Modify A/V software to ignore .ent files.

Well, that's my hay-penny..

Posted on December 8, 2006 at 8:38 pm

yes, no problems

well, if he plays other online games and has no problems...
not sure what to think.

the only thing that he might try is adjusting the network speed in the options for TM (i think that is what it is called)

if it is set low, change it higher. or vice versa.

good luck.

Posted on December 8, 2006 at 10:46 pm

What other games does he play?

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on December 8, 2006 at 11:25 pm

I'll have to wait to see him at the LDA server to answer some questions... but he shared he downloaded games in the past (demos) and they worked...
I did searched for his e-mail in the old archives but the search function gave me a stale page :(
...If I see him next time; I'll try to remember all these advises & questions...

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on December 8, 2006 at 11:46 pm

Hey Pab,

Have K run a speed test from [url]http://nitro.ucsc.edu</a>.

There are some recommendations there for modifying the OS layer interraction with the network stack.

I hope he is running some kind of router between his modem and system(s).

Is he running Internet connection sharing?

I have been running a DSL connection for several years because cable doesn't offer static IP or sufficient upload bandwidth in my area. I have found that periodically, I need to recycle the modem, interconnecting switch and the firewall to stabilize the circuit.

On the SonicWall forum I use, their subscribers there constantly recommend adjust the MTU on the firewall to 1492 from 1500 (the default). Do a key word search in google or what have you for instructions.

Consider installing NetMeter (free utility) [url]http://readerror.gmxhome.de/http://readerror.gmxhome.de/</a> (pop up block recommended) and making sure that nothing is happening on the NIC during the problematic periods.

Consider paying extra for a static IP is he doesn't already have one. Telcos a notorious for under provisioning the networks and he may actually be experiencing forced IP changes.

If he has an A/V application that includes a built-in firewall, he has properly disabled the Windows firewall and the A/V firewall has decent controls; consider resetting the allowed outbound connection and setting a prompt for outbound connections. The one I use, Panda, allows for this and it allows me to add appliations manually like TM so that the application doesn't crash when the firewall asks whether to allow/deny.

Modify A/V software to ignore .ent files.

Hey VTB!
Great tools!. Let's hope his problem doesn't rely on layer management :shock:

Posted on December 11, 2006 at 4:43 pm

I'll have to wait to see him at the LDA server to answer some questions... but he shared he downloaded games in the past (demos) and they worked...
Downloaded games don't count. We're talking about games where you actually need to be connected to the Internet while you play.

Level 13 Human gamer
Alignment: Chaotic evil
Posted on December 11, 2006 at 6:18 pm

The internet is so confusing... @_@

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on December 12, 2006 at 4:19 pm

Demos also have multiplayer capability... like TM :D

I'm still trying to get K to come here; I talked to him yesterday and asked him to send me an email or check this thread....

He also share he's got 3 other computers hooked up to his router :shock:

Posted on December 12, 2006 at 11:40 pm

well, his set up could be good in that...
can he play TM on one of his other computers?
and if he can, does he have the same problem?

another thought... is he using bittorrent on one of the other computers?
for me, even with cable, bittorrent makes any other use of the internet slow and painful.

Level 13 Human Shadow
Posted on March 5, 2007 at 8:20 pm

Couple questions:

1. Does his DSL provider have any sort of caps on activity?

2. Does he have this problem at other times of day?

3. Another possible issue is heat. Could your ethernet card be overheating? If so, make sure your case is well vented and all vents are clean of dust. Stick a thermometer in the case (somewhere center not touching any circuit boards). You should be reading a temperature no higher than 30C for ambient air temperature for the case to cool well. Check this temperature after the case has been closed up a while and you've been gaming.

4. There are some registry settings that might help if your network card is trying to send data faster than it can handle:

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{interface}
MTU= 1500 (DWORD, valid range is from 68 to MTU of network).

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\NdisWan\Parameters\Protocols\0
ProtocolMTU= 1480

You might have to add these entries if they don't exist.

1500 is the default max. I suggest you try lowering these a bit, perhaps around 1400 or so. This will reduce the packet size max in case you're having problems with packet size.

Do a google search on this to learn more about these parameters.