Skip navigation

Free Look...who uses it and why do you use it.

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Tread Marks > Free Look...who uses it and why do you use it.
Level 15 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on November 30, 2006 at 10:28 pm

I have been debating on whether to relearn TM by doing free look. Two of the better players in TM use free look, Ras and Pab. Ras always said that it was important to find the best weapons and free look allowed him to do that.

Well...what do you all think?

Level 14 Human Unaffiliated Game Maker
Alignment: Chaotic
Posted on December 1, 2006 at 12:40 pm

I think I drive around and if I want to look for something its just as quick to spin my tank around, and free look bugs me :/

Level 14 Human Shadow
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on December 1, 2006 at 11:35 pm

I've never used freelook (well, not entirely true - I keep it turned on, but never move the mouse).

Up until a year ago, I didn't even turn the turret. Took getting used to :)

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on December 1, 2006 at 11:40 pm

I used it with mouse's right button... always afraid of consequences. Ras dared me to play JUST with it... I did and felt weird.
Now I use both :)
Thanks for the complement , but all there is with any game is to explote tools and use awareness of environment= anyone with time can do it :D

Level 14 Human Shadow
Posted on December 2, 2006 at 12:12 am

My game keys consist as follows:

1. Entirely keyboard based play, normally
2 Mouselook on (via numlock key)
3. Use 1/0 on numpad to move camera up and down
4. Use arrows to move tank
5. Use S/D to turn turret and SPACE to fire

In a very rare chance I might grab the mouse to quickly look at something (usually after I'm dead or such, and I want to see some way I'm not looking).

Except for the S/D to turn turret, the rest of these keys I've used for 6 years. After just a year of turning the turret, I can intuitively guess where tanks are behind me, plus swinging the camera vertical helps a lot to find nearby targets.

That, plus radar, plus an understanding of how to kill with every weapon is how I play.

- For me, the worst weapons are Laser and Machine Gun. Just not my style.
- Generally best (excluding super weapons) are Avenger, Ramdrill, and Plasma
- The others all fall in the middle, with MRL toward the high end and concussion toward the low.

Level 14 Human Unaffiliated Game Maker
Posted on December 2, 2006 at 10:35 am

I tend to be able to multitask my vision pretty well and can easily watch the radar while driving and aiming.

I dislike the laser but I love driving along in a race or even in normal combat with my turret off to the side, nailing somone with the machine gun :D

I also like the flamer, swarmers I LOVE, and the concussion I like too :3

EDIT: Ooh and the dirtball is awesome and it disables enemies well ^_^

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on December 2, 2006 at 5:21 pm

I use the keys to steer the tank, and the mouse to slew the turret and fire. Turning on free look has generally been disorienting for me, as it seems the slightest mouse movement sends the view flying out of control.
Ras never said much to me about free look, but I am sure he used to use it to recon, such as look to see what weapon you had or what you were doing on the other side of a hill, cliff face, etc.
I wasn't aware that Pab has been using it.
MC

* If you die horribly on television, you will not have died in vain. You will have entertained us. -Kurt Vonnegut jr.*

Level 14 Human Sr Code Monkey
Location: lost in the evil lands, of soccer-mom piloted minivans....
Posted on December 2, 2006 at 11:51 pm

I use the free look as well. I like keeping tabs on the enviornment.

Level 15 Human Jack-of-all-trades
Posted on December 4, 2006 at 4:27 pm

I use free look interchangeably with with turret rotation; I use free look to see over berms and look for both targets and targeters while moving. The preference changes dynamically during game play.
For instance, side mounted weapons that strafe are some times easier to shoot while using free look because the POV from the turret is somewhat obscured.
When damaged, sometimes it is easier to aim and fire using free look. This may not be a problem for players of smaller tanks.
Also, the keyboard/mouse combo that I use (Scorpious with big trackball) allows me rapid scans of my surroundings.

Level 14 Human gamer
Alignment: Lawful evil
Posted on December 10, 2006 at 9:12 pm

I use free look most of the time. Apart from added awareness it keeps the camera more steady especially for an open but bumpy piece of ground.

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on December 11, 2006 at 2:23 am

That makes sense Ni... after being gone for sooooo long, you come back to play ranked DDM with fury.... even with no practice! :roll:

Welcome back! hope you stick around! :twisted:

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on December 11, 2006 at 8:23 pm

Ni long time no see :) hmm I use freelook sometimes to look at players around me and at other weapons around me but usually I just don't mess with it

Level 14 Human gamer
Alignment: Lawful evil
Posted on December 14, 2006 at 5:54 pm

Yeah long time. I've had my fix of 'bigger' games since my upgrade but I'll always come back here! Thanks Pab, though there wasn't much of a turn-out. Still, it's most definitely quality over quantity. Good games and made me a bit sweaty.

My point: dinna fix whit isnae broken, right?!!

Level 15 Human gamer
Posted on December 28, 2006 at 3:12 am

Yeah...glad to see you back Ni.

And again...thanks for all your advice on free look.