|
Author Topic:   Java runtimes?
Tank target
posted April 17, 2005 01:40 PM            
I was told to make BWL's Tmapper work I need to uninstal all installed java runtimes and then reinstal the big install of Tmapper how do I uninstall the java runtimes?

[This message has been edited by Tank target (edited April 17, 2005).]

IP:

KONG
posted April 17, 2005 04:34 PM            
control panel/add-remove programs

you should see it listed there

IP:

Tank target
posted April 18, 2005 02:04 PM            
And what if it's not? Where do I look, 'cause I couldn't find it in the list.

IP:

KiLlEr
posted April 18, 2005 02:21 PM            
Well then thats why TMapper won't work on your machine because you donot have java installed. If you did, it would be on that list (Java runitime, JRE, Sun Java, etc. there could be a few different names for it depending on the version. but if you don't have any of them on your list, you don't have it installed.)

Just install the big version of TMapper and you should be fine.

[This message has been edited by KiLlEr (edited April 18, 2005).]

IP:

Tank target
posted April 18, 2005 02:30 PM            
I don't think you get it do you? I have the big install of Tmapper and guess what! it doesn't work. I also lost the link to the install so if someone would be so nice as to give me a link it would be nice. I uninstalled the previous install i had on my computer.

IP:

KiLlEr
posted April 18, 2005 03:51 PM            
How can anyone "get you" if you keep starting up new threads about a signle issue? I can't keep track of what your doing if you start a new thread each time you have a question or problem about the same program. You really should have kept this in the original thread. If you really need to start a new thread, put *ALL* the information in your post(i.e. the exact filename of what you installed, where you got it, os version, etc). People will not remember what you posted somewhere else.

If you installed the big pack, and it dosn't work, and you donot have any prior version of JRE, then your problem is something else.

Please repost the exact error mesage, the os version, the video card, and the video card driver version you are using in this thread. That way all your posts are in one spot about TMapper and then we can help you.

[This message has been edited by KiLlEr (edited April 18, 2005).]

IP:

Tank target
posted April 18, 2005 05:45 PM            
I don't know all of this stuff, I'm new, here I try but what i've said is what I know. Sorry if I haven't been specific enough but what do you expect from a 13 year old?

[This message has been edited by Tank target (edited April 18, 2005).]

IP:

KiLlEr
posted April 18, 2005 08:25 PM            
No problem matey.

IP:

Tank target
posted April 19, 2005 09:22 AM            
Okay well, I've decided to stick to ENT. mods for now and art mods as well. If I ever get that other stuff working right you'll be the first to know.

Ps I know why Tmapper doesn't work and I got it to work. But it's a little complicated for me. The problem was i didn't have the updated Java runtimes from BWL's website which i needed.

And would anyone like to test some of my mods?

[This message has been edited by Tank target (edited April 19, 2005).]

IP:

Tank target
posted April 20, 2005 04:00 PM            
I don't mean to double post but, One more thing I need with ENT modding I now my way around the ring but spewers I need to work with these kinds of ENTs and others for more complicated mods. if anyone would like to show me exactly how to work with these. And combining them with weapons and projectiles.

IP:

Vlad
posted April 21, 2005 11:06 AM            
Spewers are a bit tricky to get the hang of...

Basically, a Spewer is an entity that creates another entity and "spews" it in a certain direction. I don't have the time right now to write up a whole thing on them, but take a look at the spewers that are already there. There's also a readme file in Treadmarks/Entities/Spewer that explains what all the spewer parameters do. They're all pretty self-explanatory, really. The trickiest one to figure out is SpewMin and SpewMax, which have to do with the possible directions that a spewer can throw things.

The readme file refers to the SpewMin and SpewMax parameters as defining a bounding box for the spewer direction, which is a pretty good way to think about it. Your typical SpewMin/SpewMax pair may look something like:

SpewMin = -10, -1, -10
SpewMax = 10, 1, 10

Each of those three-number sets refer to the x, y, and z directions. Think of the spewer itself as the center point, and then you create a sphere around that center point using the coordinates defined by the two parameters. In this case, the sphere would extend out to -10 and 10 on both the x and z axis, and -1 and 1 on the y axis. You now have a sphere that is ten times wider than it is tall, with the spewer itself sitting in the very middle of it.

That sphere essentially translates into the firing arc of the spewer. The spewer will now throw the bulk of its ents (most likely Projectiles) out to the sides, with a little vertical deviation both up and down. If you wanted the things to only fire upwards at the same horizontal spread, you could change SpewMin to:

SpewMin = -10, 1, -10

One thing to note is that the coordinates are global, and not relative to any individual object in-game. This means that while you can have a spewer always throw a projectile straight up, or north, or west (relative to the map), you can't have one fire to the left of the thing that called it (like a tank, or weapon, or projectile), etc.

IP:

Tank target
posted April 21, 2005 04:09 PM            
Thank you Vlad that helped, a lot though I still need to work on that stuff. One question about readme files, I have noticed that when I crack open and Entity file there are some commands that are not in the readme. Most of which I can figure out myself but there are others that which I haven't a clue what they govern in terms of entity behavior.

IP:

Vlad
posted April 22, 2005 12:45 AM            
Yeah, I've noticed that, too. Some of the readmes are rather comprehensive, and others are pretty sparse.

One thing to keep in mind is that some commands can be applied to different classes of entities, and will only be listed in one readme file. For example, everything on EntityChains is located in a more general readme, if I remember correctly, instead of being in one of the ones in the Entities subfolders.

Look for the EEK. It's a reference of sorts that somebody put together a while back that lists most, if not all, of the various ent commands and what they do (sometimes it's just what's in the readmes, but it is nice to have them all in one place).

I don't know offhand where to download it, though.

Are there any specific commands you're unclear on?

IP:

Rex R
posted April 22, 2005 02:03 AM            
iirc coax has a copy for dl

IP:

Tank target
posted April 22, 2005 09:55 AM            
I have the EEK and I'm reading it alot, some of the commands in there are not specific but most of th time it works the only real problem with the EEK is that it's organized by alphabetical order and not seperated by classes. BTW Vlad I have studied sevral weapons that use chaining and spewing like the Anhilator very complicated stuff.

I really want to make weapons with spewers and chains like the Acid Cloud or JVortex's Romulan Warbird disruptors and stuff like that.

IP:

Vlad
posted April 22, 2005 11:00 AM            
The big thing to keep in mind about chains (as opposed to spewers), is that for the most part, they're used to simply create another entity at the same time as the calling entity. This is how explosion effects are made that require multiple ents, such as the Nuke blast. If you look at explo/Nuke.ent, you'll see that at the end of the file, there's a bunch of Entitychain calls. Each one of those calls another Explo or Explosphere that represents a part of the nuke's explosion, like the fast-moving semi-clear shockwave, or the orange haze that hangs around the longest.

IP:

KiLlEr
posted April 22, 2005 11:18 AM            
more things about chaining:

1) You can only go 3 deep in chaining ( an entity chaining an entity which chains another entity )
2) Only ents that can contain meshes (projectile, explosphere, et al) can chain other ents.
3) projectiles that are spawned using a chain share the same initial direction, initial speed and initial position of the projectile ent it was chained to.
4) kills cause by projectiles that are not somehow spawned by a projectile upstream (i.e. projectile spawns and explo which spawns another projectile, basically the root of the tree has to be a projectile) will have be assigned to fragger at random. The only exception is that if a projectile spawns a powerup that spawns a projectile, you will run into the same problem of the kill being assigned at random.

(yes I've done some wierd things. LOL )

[This message has been edited by KiLlEr (edited April 22, 2005).]

IP:

Tank target
posted April 22, 2005 11:20 AM            
Yeah I know, due to experience working with the heavy flamer which uses a rather small chain unlike the nuke or matter bomb which I've used the explo ent for on another mod.

I have a rather big database of player made mods on my computer and for info I usually look there and my copy of the EEK.

What I'm working on now is a weapon that's like an Airstrike but it drops acid all over the field 100 bombs total launchcount of 20 reload of 5 seconds.

I need help writing an acid entity I don't want to copy someone else's. Basiclly I need the bomb to drop then activate a spewer which realses acidic gasses all over the place.

IP:

KiLlEr
posted April 22, 2005 11:28 AM            
yikes

20 bombs * 1 spewer per bomb = unplayable lag in multiplayer mode.

You have to be VERY careful as to how many projectiles you spawn as it degrades multiplayer performance bigtime. Even if the projectiles donot move. Only projectiles can do damage and track who was the player that launched it. (negative powerups also can do damage, but doesnot keep track of the player that launched it) which means that you'll have 20 spewers launching projectiles. that'll add up bigtime as TM tracks every projectile sending updates each frame to all players.

[This message has been edited by KiLlEr (edited April 22, 2005).]

IP:

Tank target
posted April 24, 2005 12:11 PM            
I'd never thought of that, I've changed the weapon now to only holding 20 and firing 5 every 3 seconds it reloads. Good, and you guys are really helpful maybe in a few months after a very long time of fiddling I can make a good weapon out of this.

IP:

Vlad
posted April 24, 2005 09:17 PM            
Hey, fiddling around is how you learn stuff. A lot of the stuff I made was actuall initially me trying to do something entirely different, then I stumbled upon a neat effect or idea that dragged me in a completely different direction.

There's also nothing wrong with just making crazy stuff for personal use . I've got all sorts of weird weapons that I put together that are either way unbalanced or would most likely lag the heck out of a server, but it's fun to use them against the AIs.

------------------
-Vlad

IP:

Tank target
posted April 24, 2005 09:30 PM            
I know this evil, Muahaahahahahahaha. ::Frags the crap out of enemy tanks with evil weapon::

Yeah, I fiddle alot with I made small progress with spewers making a plasma cannon that spews like a Shadow keeper.

And I blew myself up too.

IP: