|
Author Topic:   Help using 3d modelers
RD-Kill
posted November 11, 2004 07:47 PM            
Hi...again lol, I have the downloded bersion of Milkshape 3d and untimate unwrap 3d but need some help on the concept of the tank parts i need to make...all i can do now is make a box, lol. What do i need in a .lwo and whats the purpose of a .luv? skinning? also some help using the Milkshape to make something acually look like a tank, thanks.

IP:

RD-Kill
posted November 11, 2004 08:10 PM            
o yeah and ps: what can export a .lwo? lol
waiiiiitttt i got it lol just neede to download the exprter for Milkshape now just need something for the .Luv although i dont know what their for lol.

[This message has been edited by RD-Kill (edited November 11, 2004).]

IP:

Rex R
posted November 12, 2004 03:02 AM            
the .lwo (v5.6) file format does not directly support texture mapping. the .luv file was lda's method of adding texture mapping info for treadmarks.

IP:

RD-Kill
posted November 12, 2004 08:01 PM            
ok, thanks. is their an free unwrapper that can acually SAVE, i really dont want to spend $60 on the 2 programs when i cant make a tank yet lol. also for the tank, u just make the body and cannon? does TM put the ''wheel spots'' in automaticly?

IP:

Rex R
posted November 13, 2004 01:26 AM            
actually you should have a gun, turret, and a hull. as for programs I've been using a combo of them; anim8tor (to make parts), zmodeler to assemble them (and uv map) then back to anim8tor to orient them(and adjust the grip point) as for .luv files you might want to look at =dnx= matrix's website for 'lithunwrap'. anywho anim8tor can import .lwo files so you can see how the tanks are put together.
edit added link
look here http://dnxworld.homestead.com/bzprotmpage.html
left side, under tools for lithunwrap1.3

[This message has been edited by Rex R (edited November 13, 2004).]

IP:

RD-Kill
posted November 13, 2004 12:22 PM            
Thanks, i made a working tank after i looked at some of the pre made .lwo's ill try the unwrapper and see if i can figure out skinning now.

IP:

RD-Kill
posted November 13, 2004 01:12 PM            
If u wanna look at my tank here it is http://www.freewebs.com/ckrdkill/Addons.zip if the download works anyways lol. I cant figure out the lithunwrapper though....how do i open my .lwo to unwrap them?

it works u just have to go save target as.

[This message has been edited by RD-Kill (edited November 13, 2004).]

IP:

Rex R
posted November 13, 2004 02:16 PM            
ok just looking at the archive some tips; name your archive something other than addons please(RD-killaddons.zip will work fine), if you knew how many addons.zip many of us have lurking on our boxes..., next item. the tank ent should go in addons/entities/racetank(keeps things neater)
unwrap
file/model/open, file/uv/export
other helpful program ENTegrety for error checking ents, not a program but helpful Entity Entry Key(EEK) (coax had a copy) lists all parameters for ents

[This message has been edited by Rex R (edited November 13, 2004).]

IP:

RD-Kill
posted November 13, 2004 04:43 PM            
Ok i got the lithunwrapper and export a .luv but how do i skin it now?

IP:

Rex R
posted November 14, 2004 09:13 PM            
I've had some time to look at your tank(please note I'm not critasizing the tank, just some issues in the ent file). 1st item type mis-match (type should match file name, tm is happy either way but, matching the two makes it easier to edit).
2nd tm uses the forward slash(/) by convention in the path statements.
3rd(not really a biggie at this stage of the tank) bolton coords could stand a few adjustments, on the off chance you haven't figured them out yet...
#bolton0 - Flag
#bolton1 - Top Turret Gun
#bolton2 - Left Tank Gun
#bolton3 - Rear Layer
you should pay attention to the left tank gun, at present you will frag your self with a number of the weap.s HTH

IP:

RD-Kill
posted November 15, 2004 11:02 AM            
So thats why i kept killingmyself when i tested it, lol. (it was with the nuke :-)) That tank is now my mess with tank and i have made a somewhet better looking model now. Iv also figured out the skinning. But as u were saying that TM usees the / for the paths when i get my skin done for this tank and put it in the addons folder should i put it in a folder like..addons/art/Textures? With my new model i have also been working on the boltons(thanks for the names of them) i think my new tank is a big improvment and slowly im making better looking tanks. Next im going to work on a weapon :-D.

IP:

Rex R
posted November 15, 2004 12:57 PM            
correct, the tank skin/texture goes in Addons/art/textures (for reference you can look at where the game puts various things and mentaly add addons to the path).

IP: