|
Author Topic:   A Question of Smoke
=DNX= Matrix
posted March 17, 2004 09:45 AM            
Ok, i got to the nuts of this while playing with treedeath.. but...

I need to do sumthin when a tank explodes...

I need a 2nd set of smoke coming from it and id like to change the "matrix style" slow-down-and-spin-around Explo settings.

I think id have to use some kind of entity chain thing, but i havent a clue on ent programming for simultaneous fx.

Any advice ?

IP:

Vlad
posted March 17, 2004 09:53 AM            
Well, as far as the "spin around" effect goes, That's pretty much hard coded and unchangable through ents.

For adding more smoke effects to the tank explosion, then yes, you probably would want to use entitychains. I posted a quicky explanation of how to use them here: /forums/archive/ubb/Forum9/HTML/000569.html

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted March 17, 2004 05:43 PM            
Ack i 4got bout that... so i could use a tankdeath ent:

EntityChain1 = explo/tankdeath3

Then set that line in all the tank ents... or would it be better if I entitychain a smoke ent to both of the tankdeath ents ?

*confused already .. i will be*

IP:

Vlad
posted March 18, 2004 12:11 AM            
You seem to be thinking about it wrong....

When a tank blows up, it's set to call a certain ent. I can't remember what it is at the moment, but I think it's explo/tankdeath1.

As far as I remember, the ent that is called when a tank blows up is hard coded and cannot be changed, so an exploding tank will always call explo/tankdeath1. What you CAN do, however, is change that ent, but keep the class/type info the same, but just keep the file with the addons.

Now, remember what I said about entitychaining, all it is is calling another ent at the same time. So you only put as many chains as you want new effects. So if you want your tankdeath1 ent to call four different smoke effects (or four iterations of the same effect), then you'd just do:

EntityChain0 = explo/myeffect1
EntityChain1 = smoke/myeffect2
etc

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted March 18, 2004 08:58 AM            
Gochya - Thx Man

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted March 19, 2004 11:22 PM            
Ok, i made a Smoke graphic, i put it in:
art/sprites/smokeboom.bmp

i made an ent for the smoke and put that in:
entities/smoke/smokeboom.ent
Smoke Class...

I edited Tankdeath1.ent to include:
EntityChain0 = smoke/smokeboom

This has had no effect whatsoever to the general tank explo effect.. any other suggestions ?

IP:

Vlad
posted March 20, 2004 12:56 AM            
Well, I may be wrong about tankdeath1 being the actual tank death explo.

First, try chaining the smoke effect to something like the 120mm shell explosion effect (the explosphere one), so that you can make sure that your smoke is working as it should. If you still don't see the smoke effect, then the problem is either with your smoke ent, or with the way you're typing the EntityChain line. To figure out which it is, try substituting a rather distinct smoke effect in instead of your own (like the mass driver one). This way you can determine where the problem lies.

If you want, you can email a zip of your addons folder (just the entities, though) to me (shaun_gonzalez@hotmail.com) and I'll take a look at it and see what I can figure out.

IP:

A2597
posted April 10, 2004 10:31 PM            
tankdeath...fun...

if this is still a problem, let me know, I'll dig around my TM and find where I added effects in the HQ pack...I'm 99% certain I entchained in tankdeath though.

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted April 11, 2004 04:37 PM            
Its been passed onto Joey whos certin he can do it and randomize the effect too.

Thx for the offer though m8 always nice to know ppl are willing to help out. Ents were always my weakness with tm.

IP: