|
Author Topic:   Mods and how to tell something is not stock
Blue n Gold Sue
posted February 24, 2004 05:34 AM            
One of my peeves is that I can't always remember that a certain tank/flag is an addon. I guess I could look through my addons folder, but that is not practical to do when joining a server. When things are modded, like flags, there is no easy way to tell that they are not from the original install. It would be a nice convention if all mods began with an * in front of the name, so that we would know IMMEDIATELY not to pick a certain tank/flag when joining a stock server.

The tank selection would look like this:
Draconian
Dwarf
*Diamond Dwarf
Belaborer
so I would know IMMEDIATELY that the diamond dwarf will cause problems on a totally stock server. IT would be nice if this were also the case with the modded flags, too.
Do you think this will help with the invisible AI tanks on the clan battle server? (my thought is that we just had a release of new tank skins and some new tanks in the CM1 pack and people forgot..) Would it help for when we take the master flag pack off the COMMUNITY SERVER FOR DDMS so people don't try to join with modded flags?

IP:

Sailor
Administrator
posted February 24, 2004 09:08 PM            
I am not sure if an * in front of the name would be acceptable to TM, but that can be easily tested. As for the master flag pack I put that in all of my installs. I keep separate installs for different setups instead of multiple addons folders. It makes it so I can have different icons on my desktop for each setup. When I want to test something completely new I just remove my base Tread Marks 1.6 install and rebuild it - that takes about 5 minutes or less (install TM, master flags, and JV's tank skins). Then I am ready to go since the desktop icon is already there. Just my thoughts and setup.

------------------
May you always have a following Sea a cool breeze at your back and the comfort of those you hold nearest to your heart.
Sailor's Home Port

IP:

Blue n Gold Sue
posted February 24, 2004 10:51 PM            
I'm mostly asking about this as it has been suggested that the syncing of the master flag pack adds to lag. I surely dont' recall which flags are stock, and I'm too lazy (time crunched) to take a looksee to do it - especially since we haven't decided if this WILL help.

IP:

Rex R
posted February 25, 2004 01:52 AM            
ents are synched at the same net rate as client/server have decided on. 300+ ents take very little time to synch on a lan(high net rate) and should not contribute to 'lag' for other players(what you do get is the server adding another set of models for each new player). have not run into probs with uncommon characters in name strings(in ents) as long as they are in the char set should present no probs. for me all the stock flags show up at the end of the list

IP: