|
Author Topic:   Servers and Lag
Blue n Gold Sue
posted February 24, 2004 05:29 AM            
What can we do to make the lag better on the servers? Especially on the LDA servers, particulary the COMMUNITY servers.
Shall we:
* play with net rate?
* play with rutting on the non-rutting weapons?
* remove the master flag pack?
* remove scorching?

Any other suggestions?

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted February 24, 2004 08:50 AM            
Remove TM and install games made for 33k modems back in the day - loads of players, zero lag

Red Odyssey for example, on 56k u can host an 8 player game, on DSL you can get 40 ppl in there lol... cause the double data rate the game cant handle will give u double power hit shots

IP:

coaxs
posted February 24, 2004 05:38 PM            
I was actually laughing to myself in the shower today, because it dawned on me what would be causing so much lag with 20 people on the servers. Tread marks in Tread Marks! LOL! Not only does simply driving anywhere leave these little scorches of tread marks but they also add tiny craters. In TM1.0 you could see this best when using the ice map and setting no time limit. When you came back to the game in several hours there would be a ringed crater around the weapon point caused from the AI trying to get the weapon, there would also be a hopeless AI trying to get at that weapon in its own self made ringed crater.

Folks clan maps and stock maps set aside( since they really are irrelevant to a discussion on lag), if we eliminate the craters created from the tread marks and the scorches from the tread marks I'm almost positive it'll alleviate the lag issue.

------------------
Tread Marks Ladders

IP:

KONG
posted February 24, 2004 08:06 PM            
good job Coax. you hit it on the nose. I dont believe there is a way to turn that off.

------------------
"My style? You could call it the art of fighting without fighting.''

Homepage

IP:

KONG
posted February 24, 2004 09:20 PM            
use flatter maps with fewer spawn points

remove cratering and scorching (especially from the avenger and MG)

remove the smoke trail from the cruise

Do Not Chat

Edit the nuke explo ent and remove the explospheres

IP:

Irascible
posted February 24, 2004 09:38 PM            
*It seems that there's concensus that netrate is not at issue.
*Given the miriad of tiny divots caused by machine gun, avenger, etc, it seems logical to nix them since they don't affect game play like dirt balls, etc. do.
*Removing the master flag pack decreases synching and therefore lag. The hundreds of ent files that have to be downloaded by dial-up players can take them quite some time. I've seen no evidence to suggest that the server cpu usage becomes an issue with the resulting errors. If cpu usage double from 2 percent to 4, so what?
*Given Matrix's and Killer's tacit and/or explicit approval of removing scorching, it seems like the thing to do.

Actully Coax, as it turns out map selection is not irrelevant. 666 has fully acknowledged that drive time increases with the clan map. Since there is apparently a huge amount of updates caused simply by driving, the clan map adds to the load. And since there are more spawn points, there will be a wider selection of nukes and cm's upon startup resulting in more big time craters and more lag. Since the nukes and cms get used 99 percent of the time, there will also be a slightly higher percentage of them during the game too.

[This message has been edited by Irascible (edited February 24, 2004).]

IP:

Irascible
posted February 24, 2004 09:46 PM            
It would make a truck load of sense if a master modder went through all the stock weapons (except shadow) and de-lagged the heck out of them - removing anything and everything that adds to lag but doesn't affect game play.

Could Killer do that? Would he be willing? Do we have to have some massive debate about that too or can we just go with common sense? Scorching, smoke trails, machine gun divots and a whole mess of other things can be easily labeled irrelevant to game play.

Please note that I am not suggesting any of us debate what it is within a weapon that uses unnecessary bandwidth. Since Killer seems to have the best handle on what does what to bandwidth, it seems appropriate to empower him to make the decisions (if he's willing).

[This message has been edited by Irascible (edited February 24, 2004).]

IP:

Rex R
posted February 25, 2004 01:40 AM            
a comment on netrate; the client requests data sent no faster than a certain rate (3k for dialup) setting server rate higher does not affect them directly (since they'll still get 3k), where it gets tricky is a higher server rate will affect bandwidth usage. what has a direct impact on dial up is fps setting to high and they start getting packet loss(teleporting tanks anyone?). what I've been seeing mostly is packet loss not lag. these comments are my opinion and may or may not be accurate.
edit
the tread marks are controled by your config file

[This message has been edited by Rex R (edited February 25, 2004).]

IP:

coaxs
posted February 25, 2004 02:49 AM            
I'll make the neccessay modifications to eliminate the lag issues from the weapons. The main source is the tanks though. This won't be done by this sunday but will be done by the next sunday.

------------------
Tread Marks Ladders

IP: