|
Author Topic:   A kick butt training ground (yes, I'm trying to return again)
Dudymas
posted February 19, 2004 11:40 PM            
Well, here I am again. Ignore if you like. Knowing me and my school schedules... the idea I can hold up anything is uncertain. Anyhow... anyone interested in something I dropped a while back? I wanted to make a training map that would allow people to hone harder skills when no one else is on (you know that happens every now and then).

The map is ready to make, I just need to have some suggestions and such. As well, i think it's safe to assume that most of you have TM Mapper and can use that with my height map as opposed to me sending a huge VED file. I should still have a set of mods for the map... it was supposed to be the mining guild training map and be made especially for learning how to flip and tease tanks using only regular weaps (withOUT tracking on the projectiles). Alright, i'll see who's interested.

Sidenote: anyone seen how incredibly awesome blender has gotten or tried out the new gimp 2.0 beta that's in development. For all interested, blender now has REAL exporting power and works properly now, it is open source, does raytracing both itself and exports to raytracing, and has all the python power needed to create lwo's and luv's. We just need to put our heads together to add in map creation, because, to be honest, someone has to do it, and I'm about ready to. I can't stand how much power blender has and that's half of why I want to return. Besides, python has always been something of interest to me.

Dudy electronique-male: Dudy spam 101 at yaaaaaahooooooooo
(you can get rid of the spaces at the beginning and add com to the end). I respond reasonably readily after 2 pm (this is, honestly, how late I sleep in... unless of course I have some crap schooling to attend.)

Order your blender 2.3 manual today! W0ot 750 pages

------------------

IP:

wolfman
posted February 19, 2004 11:58 PM            
Hiya Bud - longtime no see. Welcome back Training map great idea - someone at one time had done a map for weapons testing with tank models and ai's that came at ya. I know that one was very useful - had it for awhile till my harddrive crashed. Any hoo - welcome back JT

IP:

Blue n Gold Sue
posted February 20, 2004 01:24 AM            
Hiya Dudymas. I've heard your name, but I arrived as you were departing. Welcome back!!

IP:

Dudymas
posted February 20, 2004 01:33 AM            
Cool. I'm sorry we've never met..... I think. I usually either am hated or loved. But i know at least TM loves me, or else i would have still been gone. okay... too much emotion. I think I can re-assure you I'll be buying some butter/brown sugar/ what-not, making cookie dough, and doing an original TM ho-down with soda and coffee all through saturday night into sunday morn... so you should be able to see me (if anyone else is on) then. I guess I shouldn't give this out because now everyone's gonna mod the servers to ban my super long names.... I loved the good ol days when we'd all log on and make up quotes or put lyrics of triangle man in our names. where's peeeeto gone to these days?

IP:

coaxs
posted February 20, 2004 03:51 AM            
Welcome back home Dudy.

There are not that many people left from 2000. RL got in the way I suppose. I actually can't think of anyone thats been here since 2000 that still posts and plays the servers regularly. RC is here and there, but he's been here lately. If I forgot someone, I'm sure they'll pipe in.

------------------
Tread Marks Ladders

IP:

TBIKingTiger23
posted February 20, 2004 06:22 PM            
well.. iv been here.. but i dint post on the forum... i played on the lda server though.. some times.

[This message has been edited by TBIKingTiger23 (edited February 20, 2004).]

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted February 20, 2004 09:23 PM            
WB Dudy (arent there training maps on the stock tm cd ?) - peeeto did a dissapearing act bout 2 years ago...

IP:

Dudymas
posted February 21, 2004 05:32 AM            
used to have peeeetos e-mail and he'd play when he had the chance. Real life has got him, though. As for the stock training maps... those are for newbs. i mean something that allows you to consistently set up various scenarios which invoke a chance to get some skilz. Like, you and I both know that you can get to a level where despite lag and everything else... you can almost feel the spot where you have to hit a tank with a peeshooter to pop the tank up... I'm trying to get a map up that allows people to pop, pry, snipe, bump, chase, evade, and frag to heart's content with whatever weapon. what I planned was to take a basic tank, outfit various versions that autospawn a weapon of choice, or else allow one to select the normal tanks and just fire away with whatever lady luck provides. As well, I'd add some cookie dough to the scene, enabling would-be trainers to grab what they want, and instantly get a ton of it. Regardless, this isn't meant to be something that's super fun and great. It's supposed to be "no one is online yet so let me warm up". i'll have to have a practice range with goals for launching spawned tanks (I can easily set the mass so that in order to move them, one has to use weaps carefully0. Ideally, I'd have AI's going around a track with various terrains so you can practice timing plasma shots or air strikes for the moment a tank hits a bump wrong and slows, there would be three or four tanks that would be next to goals, each tank progressively heavy and/or difficulty to control with weaponry (the ai's on the track should also follow this scheme, and the player should be allowed to vary masses so as to get used to bumping), the goals would be three-fold; plain soccer goal types, midair hoops which force you to launch the tank straight up with dirtballs and mass driver shots (you can rebound tanks off each other with mass drivers when you get really good), and baskets for sinking tanks into a particular landing area. I also hope to set up some standing dummys in a fenced in region of the map (just make a circle of dirtball spewers to keep the walls up) so you learn how to 'sink' nukes, and the best part would be a sniping spot with weapons that leave trails for a longer time so you can hone mid-air shots as well as on ground and over terrain. Additionally, I might provide a portion with either random dirtball/hole making spewers or popper holes (holes made that are so deep and small and steep that when you enter, the physics engine throws you back out at high velocities) for learning how to shoot while in a tumble. The more difficult thing that might require a separate map would be an evasion map, which would have some cells containing various weapon types... the player would have the choice of using weapons/limited ammo weapons/ or no weapons plus being able to vary health, speed, armor. Once again, there will probably be a setting for allowing the user to select a specific tank model to practice on. As well, in the evasion map, I'll have some popper holes for practicing landings and mid-air counter-shots. i actually have a lot more in mind, but these will be the highlights of the first release. Understand why i want to make another couple of training maps?

IP:

KONG
posted February 21, 2004 10:01 AM            
Huh?

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted February 21, 2004 10:17 PM            
have a play with the maps in the anarchy pack dudy, im sure you will agree they arent exactly "the norm", maybe one of them will suit your needs.

IP:

Dudymas
posted February 23, 2004 05:11 PM            
hmmmm,you got a link to that? I'll google for it and all, and if I find it, edit this message.

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted February 24, 2004 12:25 AM            
all at the DMF fella .... http://www.dmf.kicks-ass.net/cgi-bin/yabb/yabb.pl

Make a new account, ill activate it, u log in and go for it - btw, are you in any clan dudy ? just to help me assign ur account a level of access.... or are you lonewolf ? (not LWA)

IP:

Blue n Gold Sue
posted February 24, 2004 04:18 AM            
Dudy (and others) there are a few sites that are currently hosting a lot of the TM data. Harmless has lots on
www.hallsted.net

and still MORE on
www.tbhccs.com/treadmarks/tm-downloads-index.html

and
www.hallsted.net/tm-homage-harmless.html

with race ladder stuff at:
www.hallsted.org/race-ladders/race-ladder-status.html

Then there is the www.boomstickjoes.com/mod-o-palooza/

and then there is
www.coaxs.net

where you can link to just about anything TreadMarks related.

There's more.. I listed many of them in a post not too long ago.

When more than one link is in a post, this BB starts pitching hissy fits. If the links don't work, cut and paste.. the info is there!

Edit: checked.. yep, all my [ ] ARE there!

[This message has been edited by Blue n Gold Sue (edited February 24, 2004).]

[This message has been edited by Sailor (edited February 24, 2004).]

IP:

Blue n Gold Sue
posted February 24, 2004 04:20 AM            
man on man.. I didnt leave you out Kong, really I didn't.
http://meo.ath.cx/main/
http://Sailor.ath.cx

[This message has been edited by Sailor (edited February 24, 2004).]

IP:

coaxs
posted February 24, 2004 05:41 PM            
LOL SUE, its not that hard to put links into the forum here is the key thing to remember.

NEVER EDIT A MESSAGE WITH MORE THAN ONE LINK OR IT WILL CAUSE ALL THE LINKS TO GO KABBOOOIE, I'VE MENTIONED THIS BEFORE BUT YOU'VE MISSED IT.

DON'T USE BRACKETS, ONLY USE BRACKETS IF YOU HAVE LEET SKILLZ. SIMPLY COPY THE URL TO THE MESSAGE AND THE BOARD WILL MAKE THE LINK FOR YOU. THE ONLY TIME THE BOARD WILL MESS UP IS IF YOU EDIT A POST WITH MORE THAN ONE LINK.

------------------
Tread Marks Ladders

[This message has been edited by coaxs (edited February 24, 2004).]

IP:

coaxs
posted February 24, 2004 05:43 PM            
THE ONLY TIME THE BOARD WILL MESS UP IS IF YOU EDIT A POST WITH MORE THAN ONE LINK.

------------------
Tread Marks Ladders

IP:

Sailor
Administrator
posted February 24, 2004 10:22 PM            
Not true coax - if you edit the message with more than one link then just remove the surrounding "url" and brackets including the http : // leaving only the link (if it starts with www then you do not need the "http : //" in front otherwise you do). This will cause the board to rebuild the link again.

------------------
May you always have a following Sea a cool breeze at your back and the comfort of those you hold nearest to your heart.
Sailor's Home Port

IP:

coaxs
posted February 24, 2004 10:32 PM            
I know, but I didn't wat to confuse Sue.

------------------
Tread Marks Ladders

IP:

Blue n Gold Sue
posted February 24, 2004 10:56 PM            
Trust me, I'm NOT confused. I did try to rebuild the links when I went into the message and removed the {url] {/url} brackets. <-- tha was kinda obvious a thing to try.
I also tried putting the links in both ways. I am quite successful at putting links in posts in OTHER forums and it is only this one that I have trouble in. There is something different with how this board *reads* links..

IP:

Dudymas
posted February 26, 2004 08:15 AM            
Cool links and all, but surely, I didn't know someone already tried at this. I'll focus back on my entity program I'm building. Boa RULEZ!

[This message has been edited by Dudymas (edited February 26, 2004).]

IP: