|
Author Topic:   How 2 make texturs and meshes
Big Cheez
posted January 25, 2004 06:37 AM            
How do u make textures/meshes/explosions/sparks 4 weapons/projectiles/weapon hits etc?

IP:

Blue n Gold Sue
posted January 25, 2004 05:37 PM            
I highly recommend reading the EEK (entity entry key) found HERE. You might have to log on as a Yahoo groups member, but since I am, the link works for me.
I'm not a modder (yet ) but I do understand that TM controls these things by the ents. The above document explains what to do to control things. Good luck and welcome!

IP:

KONG
posted January 25, 2004 06:57 PM            
or here

BZRPG

[This message has been edited by KONG (edited January 25, 2004).]

IP:

Big Cheez
posted January 26, 2004 06:05 AM            
I mean the actual shapes and textures of weapons. (Sorry if im being annoying but im a total newbie!)

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted January 26, 2004 10:37 AM            
We use MILKSHAPE to make meshes, LITHUNWRAP to get a skinfile, and a paint package (i use photoshop myself) to create the meshes skin.

Sprites are created just in a paint package, BMP or IMG format ... BMP is static, IMG is a multi frame/image like a tree, these requre a program called DXIMAGE.

Hope that answers your question.

IP:

Big Cheez
posted January 27, 2004 05:54 AM            
What file extension do you save meshes with?

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted January 27, 2004 08:54 AM            
They are Lightwave objects bud .LWO extension.

IP:

Big Cheez
posted January 27, 2004 04:35 PM            
Thanx.

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted January 27, 2004 09:02 PM            
I should add, they are single sided polys too, work around 800 ..... no nurbs or double sided stuff, it would lag like mad. Thats why milkshape, its perfect for it. It can be done in softimage or 3ds max or blender if u have the skills ... i dont.

IP:

Big Cheez
posted January 28, 2004 05:55 AM            
The skills in what... that program or TM? Im very skillful with Blender, and thats freeware...

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted January 28, 2004 10:23 AM            
Ok, now were cookin on gas, contact A2597 for more info on blender and how it is used with TM

IP:

A2597
posted January 30, 2004 10:43 PM            
Ahh....blender. Yes, my area of expertise.

As stated, TM needs all faces pointing outward. Easiest method is to just select the object, and in the edit menu unmark "Double Sided" any faces that are black need their normals flipped (Edit mode, select vertexes, flip normals).

Once you have a model, save it in blend format, then join all meshes (Select all, and join) as things get REALLY wiggy if they are saved as DXF and are not one object. export as dxf.

I used 3D exploration to load the DXF and convert to lwo (5.0 to 5.5) I have an old version of it if you need. works much nicer. then the trick is to get it to rotate properly...

Come to think of it, there was a tutorial on this. (Goes searching)
ok, looks like sites dead....anyone have a backup of peeto's blender to TM tutorial?

that will help you out alot. I also think there is an export plugin that can save right from blender to lwo format. just remember that TM needs LW 5.x format, 6.0 or higher TM cannot read. object is invisible.

texturing....well...UVMapping is fun, use somthing like lithunwrap...I have an old version (Thanks to kong) which is VERY easy to use.

------------------
### Hi, I'm a sig virus. Please add me to the end of your signature so I can take over the world. ### - Caught from excaliber @ B5mg.com

Flying Tanks and Cookie Dough?
Oh, wait, no. If tanks were ment to fly they would have been born with little bags of salted peanuts.

IP:

Rex R
posted January 31, 2004 01:30 AM            
tm does not have a problem with inverted faces but things do look strange if you hadn't planned on having them.

IP: