|
Author Topic:   A Question about smoke
=DNX= Matrix
posted January 14, 2004 08:40 AM            
What would it take, so leave a permanent trail of smoke that doesnt rise AND causes damage to any tank that touches it ?

IP:

Vlad
posted January 14, 2004 08:44 AM            
Just make the smoke trail ent a projectile, then make a projectile that looks like smoke and floats there, or has whatever other properties you wanted. You can then define how long it lives, how much damage it does, etc.

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted January 14, 2004 10:21 AM            
Thx - my tron bike with its walls of death should play really well with those changes

IP:

Vlad
posted January 14, 2004 03:44 PM            
Heh, the first thing I thought when reading that was the tron bikes, too.

One thing to keep in mind is that if you're making the wall a mesh, then there really isn't any way to have it inherit direction from the object that called it. Thus, you won't be able to get any wall segments to match up to the next segments. The best you could do would be a bunch of tall, thin posts.

Either way, don't expect to be able to make it look like the movie.

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted January 14, 2004 04:36 PM            
oh well.. another idea in the bin - thx anyway....

IP:

wolfman
posted January 14, 2004 07:02 PM            
I tried doing that with the acid launcher and switched the damage caused to zero and the time to live was increased. Worked pretty good but the yellow smoke threw me off. Could never get it to the thich deep white that wanted. Hope this helps. Sounds like it is easily doable if you can change the color of the acid launcher and put zero damage and increase time to live. Had visions of teams attacking opposing force covered by smoke screen lol JT

IP:

KiLlEr
posted January 14, 2004 07:08 PM            
I actually tried that to create fog on one of my unreleased maps. It will lag your machine like crazy.

IP:

wolfman
posted January 15, 2004 07:20 AM            
Would it lag the server too much if made a wpn with no damage - up the ammo a wee bit and increase the time a bit. Probably still will - just a thought JT

IP:

KiLlEr
posted January 15, 2004 03:13 PM            
yes projectiles (a lot of them) will lag a server. But I was refering to lag caused by the game having to process all those sprites and the video card chocking on all the alpha blended polys.

IP:

wolfman
posted January 15, 2004 04:58 PM            
To what you said Killer - bummer - don't understand all u said but get the gist. Thanks for the input Bud. JT

IP:

Vlad
posted January 15, 2004 05:40 PM            
quote:
Would it lag the server too much if made a wpn with no damage - up the ammo a wee bit and increase the time a bit. Probably still will - just a thought

What you mentioned has no effect on lag, either network or graphical. For the most part, it's an issue of quantity. The more that needs to be kept track of (more sprites, more meshes, more polygons, etc), the more horsepower needed to display it. Changing damage, ammo amounts, etc is just swapping out one value for another, and won't change performance.

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted January 20, 2004 08:09 PM            
Vlad m8, any clue how you stop tank smoke from spinning ? and id like it solid too with a longer life, damaging as a projectile and instead of raising like most smoke, id like it to drop into the ground.

I realise that may sound so noob, but really ive played with these ents for hours and havent figured out how to get the first bit done yet ! to Stop the Spinning !

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted January 20, 2004 10:50 PM            
nm, sorted... randomrotate=0 in the smoke ent - thx to A2597 for that gem - as Vlad said its not a perfect wall, but im gonna try to refine it more - so far it doesnt look bad at all. Bam is working on a mesh version which should ... knowing bzp, be much better than this.

Feedback appreciated.

[This message has been edited by =DNX= Matrix (edited January 20, 2004).]

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted January 26, 2004 10:39 AM            
1 week later..... no feedback, nobody knows how we can make this effect better ?

IP:

Blue n Gold Sue
posted January 27, 2004 02:56 AM            
Wish I knew...

IP:

Vlad
posted January 27, 2004 01:17 PM            
Well, as far as I know, there's really not much that CAN be done. You're pretty much yet another victim of the limitations of TM modding.

Tank dust is always put out as smoke, so you're stuck with just having a string of individual ents.

Since ents can't inherit directional information from each other (aside from weapon ents giving a direction to projectiles), you're not going to be able to make a long thin wall that follows the path of the tank. At best, you may end up with segments that go all the same direction,in which case, you could just do a sequence of thick posts, but that may not look good, and might also cause signifigant slowdown after a while. At worst, you'll end up with meshes that are going all different directions.

There's also no way you could really make it work as a sprite-based thing, either. Sprites always face towards the person viewing them, so from certain angles, or above, it'd look pretty bad.

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted January 27, 2004 08:59 PM            
yeah i hit all the issues u mention... i wonder... can smoke be chained ? to emit more smoke ? that way surely you would double the output - sadly ive no clue how chaining is done.

I know bam is looking into the mesh wall solution but i dont know how far hes gotten.

IP:

Blue n Gold Sue
posted January 28, 2004 02:23 AM            
Have you given GoldAnt a holler?.. he has done some fun stuff with .ent commands.

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted January 28, 2004 10:23 AM            
not yet.

IP:

Vlad
posted January 28, 2004 11:51 AM            
Entitychaining is pretty simple, for the most part. All entitychaining does is call other ents in the exact same time and place that the calling ent is created.

For example, say you wanted to make the effect for when you hit another tank with the plasma ball a combination of the current one and the "blue sphere" one that occurs when you hit the ground...

In explo/plasmahit.ent, add:
EntityChain1 = explosphere/plasmaenv1

Normally, you'd start it with EntityChain0, but plasmahit already has one in there. All that would do is create the plasmahit, lasersparks (EntityChain0), and plasmaenv1 (EntityChain1) effects simultaneously, and at exactly the same place.

So while yes, you could chain smoke together to create more stuff, you're still running into the same basic problem of stuff not facing the right direction.

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted January 28, 2004 06:20 PM            
Agreed on the facing part.. but that red glowpole is in the iddle of a sprite so it really doesnt matter which way its facing - SO if i can entity chain a 2nd lot of smoke with the same sprite, then in theory i double the amount im dropping thus creating a more solid looking wall ? Or is the problem that im assuming the difference in drop points will be halfway between the standard droppoints for the smoke sprite... Wonder if theres a way i can put a delay on the drop so that the chain apprears inbetween the regular ones in the first ent.

IP:

Vlad
posted January 30, 2004 12:23 PM            
quote:
SO if i can entity chain a 2nd lot of smoke with the same sprite, then in theory i double the amount im dropping thus creating a more solid looking wall ?

Nope. Re-read what I wrote above. Entitychains take effect the instant an entity is created, and create the chained entity in the exact same spot

So even if you did use an EntityChain command in the red pole thing, all it would do is create whatever you chained in the exact same place it was called. So at best, you'd have the red pole, with some smoke in the exact same place.

It seems like you're thinking that EntityChains can do more than they actually can. All it really is is a way to call more than one entity at the same time.

There MAY be a variable for tanks that affect the frequency of the smoke they output, but I'm not sure.

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted January 30, 2004 01:46 PM            
I see, i did misunderstand ya.... hmmm *racks brains* gotta play, i refuse to believe a game so moddable can be so restricting in this one department.

IP:

A2597
posted January 30, 2004 10:32 PM            
hmm...if only I could make a mesh inherit direction!

isn't there a may to make it prodice more puffs?

hmm...alternativly...slower tank speed might prodice extra puffs...(Meaning more bars)

------------------
### Hi, I'm a sig virus. Please add me to the end of your signature so I can take over the world. ### - Caught from excaliber @ B5mg.com

Flying Tanks and Cookie Dough?
Oh, wait, no. If tanks were ment to fly they would have been born with little bags of salted peanuts.

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted February 02, 2004 09:38 PM            
Possible... answer is the speed yes..... game wont be half as much fun tho, the map is pretty big, and flat, so it would take ages to get into the fight.

IP: