|
Author Topic:   Poly Count!!!
TBIKingTiger23
posted December 20, 2003 02:49 AM            
i hate limits.... i like to expand... does any one know what the max poly count that treadmarks can handel in each frame?...

YO!?
King Tiger (TBI)

IP:

KiLlEr
posted December 20, 2003 01:12 PM            
I was able to load in an object with 60,000 polys. It took forever for the map to load but TM handle it no problem. Keep in mind though that there is a maximum number of polygons a lwo file can have. Something aound 250,000 or so.

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted December 20, 2003 03:26 PM            
I try to keep tanks to 800 single sided polys and meshes less - i let the textures deal with the detail. Like Killer says - TM can handle the high poly meshes, but expect longt load times and more timeouts as a result.

IP:

TBIKingTiger23
posted December 21, 2003 01:27 PM            
ic.. ok thx

YO!?
King Tiger (TBI)

IP:

posted December 23, 2003 02:53 PM            
What all does this include as in the map, the weapons on the map, the tanks...just curious?

IP:

TBIKingTiger23
posted December 23, 2003 09:09 PM            
all of it mostly... but to be mor specific.... Explosions and tanks

IP:

posted January 06, 2004 12:36 AM            
But could too many weapon points on a map cause the poly count to go up. I find that the Clan WindChill map get laggy sometimes and I think it has to do with all the weapons that are in the view of the player. There are probably 30-40 weapons a player can view at one time due to the valley shape terrain and they are all rotating.

If this is a problem, I would like to know.

------------------
Ntus, the server ain't up...signed Tin Horn Community Admin Dictator
Race Ladder Results & Downloads

IP:

TBIKingTiger23
posted January 06, 2004 12:39 AM            
well yes and the reson most of the time is because no one likes to take the time to make a low poly modle for viewing at a long distance. High and low. But i shouldnt be talking cuz i rarely do taht my self.

IP:

LDA
Administrator
posted January 07, 2004 10:47 AM            
A simple approach to LOD (Level of Detail) is to make the high model and then make a copy calling it the medium model...

Take the medium model copy and just delete any details leaving the basic shape intact...

For the low model just make a box or pyramid shape (bottomless) and size it to roughly indicate the object at great distance...

Jim

IP:

posted January 09, 2004 01:56 AM            
thanks LDA...that would explain why the xmas clan windchill was laggy but with the stock weapons it is not laggy. Just too many of the elves and trees caused the lag also.

This will be something that needs to be considered when having the new weapons added to the download.

thx again.

------------------
Ntus, the server ain't up...signed Tin Horn Community Admin Dictator
Race Ladder Results & Downloads

IP:

posted February 25, 2004 01:54 AM            
I have another question about poly count. Are the maps a part of poly count of each frame?

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted February 25, 2004 05:27 AM            
http://www.gamedev.net/reference/articles/article806.asp

IP:

TBIKingTiger23
posted February 25, 2004 06:31 PM            
I would think that maps are part of the count... when you have a map that is 2048x2048, it runs a little slower then a 1024x1024 map

------------------
Um? Well if I could think of one id put it here.

YO!?
King Tiger (TBI)

IP:

A2597
posted February 25, 2004 11:16 PM            
Just for the record, the Pyromaniacs shotgun DOES have LOD's. high and medium anyway.

------------------
### Hi, I'm a sig virus. Please add me to the end of your signature so I can take over the world. ### - Caught from excaliber @ B5mg.com

Flying Tanks and Cookie Dough?
Oh, wait, no. If tanks were ment to fly they would have been born with little bags of salted peanuts.

IP:

TBIKingTiger23
posted February 25, 2004 11:56 PM            
Yeah.. thats what i like to see... people doing LOD's...

------------------
Um? Well if I could think of one id put it here.

YO!?
King Tiger (TBI)

IP: