|
Author Topic:   zero ping
harmless
posted December 02, 2003 04:04 AM            
now that i think about it...

where does this zero ping in the server listing inside of the TM game come from?

why i am curious...
my trusty TM server, that i've used for the last 2 years running NT4, always shows a ping number, whether i use "refresh LAN" or "refresh internet". my server always has a ping number.

now, while i was hosting the 85weapons server, i moved the TM server to a brand new computer running w2k, all i did was copy the configuration files and AddOns over to the new computer. i did not change any settings. the curious part is that when i "refresh LAN" at the server listings, i would get a ping number, but when i "refresh internet", my server would show up, but with a zero ping.

and i am not sure what to think about that.

thanks.
harmless

------------------
mikey,
may peace doggedly
follow you.

IP:

Rex R
posted December 02, 2003 04:46 AM            
been my experience that zero ping servers are; behind a firewall, not availible for play

IP:

harmless
posted December 02, 2003 06:03 AM            
both computers are on the same LAN.
i do have one of those DSL/Cable routers,
but that has never been a problem.
people have been able to connect to either
of the servers.
well... i'm not sure what to think...

IP:

KiLlEr
posted December 02, 2003 09:56 AM            
If there is a packet filter on the network it may be set to filter out ping packets. This would also cause 0 ping.

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted December 03, 2003 10:30 PM            
You can register a server on the master server by setting it up and letting the data OUT from the comp; if you disallow incomming data, the ping is zero; especially if ICMP/IGMP is switched off.

IP:

harmless
posted January 26, 2004 02:35 AM            
ok... just some further observations...

my w2k box is actually a dual boot win98/w2k,
i thought for sure it was some w2k funkiness, so i installed and started the TM server from win98... and frick and frack.... still zero ping when i refreshed the internet within the game screen from another computer.

well now, i got treadmarks to run successfully on my Xandros Linux v2 computer.

screenshots here

so i fired up the TM server, and lo and behold, when i checked from a different computer, refreshing the internet gives me ping numbers again.

all of my computers are on the same LAN behind the same DSL/Cable router.

so my NT4 and linux box gives ping numbers, but my dual boot win98/w2k box gives me zero ping.

the only thing that is different is that both the NT4 and linux box have PCI NICs, and the dual boot computer has the NIC integrated into the motherboard.

i know, i know... if i wanted to settle this matter, i would install a PCI NIC into my dual boot computer, turn off the integrated one in the BIOS, run the TM server and go and refresh internet inside of the game and check to see if a ping is reported from another computer... which i might do at a future date, but i don't have any desire to do that now since i can just run my TM server from my linux box if i ever need to.

ummm, nevermind

toodles,
harmless

------------------
mikey,
may peace doggedly
follow you.

IP:

BamZipPow
posted January 26, 2004 04:20 AM            
Maybe yer intergrated NIC isn't passing the hardware MAC address? Fire up winipcfg and see what it sez fer the hardware MAC address?

IP:

harmless
posted January 27, 2004 06:09 PM            
well, winipcfg reported a MAC address for the integratred NIC.
who knows....
w00t. pffft. ntus. lol.

IP: