|
Author Topic:   Just bought and am deficient in mods...
Aces~X~
posted October 17, 2003 12:31 AM         
From reading the webapge regarding the "friction" addition that reduces the sliding, I'm in need of a little help or, (hopefully,) confirmation that what I have is correct.
I read that the sabot.ent file needed to be placed in the AddOn/Entities folder, but since I had to create the AddOn folder, I want to make sure I have the file path correct... Here's where I have it...
C:Program Files/eGames/Treadmarks/Game/AddOns/Entities

I've been gaming awhile, and have added mods and updates manually before, but usually with the help of a more expert member of my squad... Without him, I'm pretty hopeless in the whole mod and update area, especially when left to my own devices...
I'm also interested in creating a flag at some point, and I've browsed the pages regarding it, and not sure I've completely understood everything about adding in your own creations... Any good tutorials out there that can be recommended?
Any help for this nooB would be greatly appreciated.
I can't believe it only cost $10 for such an addictive game... Great stuff here!

Regards,

Aces & Eights ~X~

IP:

BamZipPow
posted October 17, 2003 04:02 AM            
Welcome to the game and the forums, Aces!

I'll do my best to help you out but I won't be back at home fer at least another week.

Think of the Addons folder as an extension/duplicate of the root folders. Any mods that you make should go in the Addons folder as TM will look there first.

If you do create a flag, make sure you distribute yer flag to the servers you are joining. If you don't, it will bungle up the log and no one will be able to see yer flag but you.

Any mods that you download (maps, weapons, tanks, tweaks) should be set up to be unzipped to the TM root folder. Since you have the eGames series, that would be C:\Program Files\eGames\Treadmarks\Game\. If you don't want that sort of hassle (I've made my viewpoint on the way eGames setup TM known), you can always create a separate folder of C:\Program Files\Treadmarks\ and move the contents of the C:\Program Files\eGames\Treadmarks\Game\*.* and subfolders to that folder.
Just make sure you link yer icons to that folder and delete the rest of the eGames stuff...

Snag a few of the tank/weapon mods and take a peek at them. You'll get the hang of it fairly quickly.

Fer making maps, you'll need a few user-made tools and the tutorial. You can always ask around here and we'll help you along to yer first map/mod before long.

Again...welcome to our world. Now git on them servers so we can "greet" you warmly with a nuke or two!

IP:

Aces~X~
posted October 17, 2003 04:17 AM         
Thanx for the welcome... I'll let you guys make that welcome a bit "warmer" somewhere in the near future...

"Since you have the eGames series, that would be C:\Program Files\eGames\Treadmarks\Game\"

Do I still need to create the AddOns folder, with the sabot.ent file within it after your filepath, or just place the sabot.ent file into the ...\Game folder? (Sorry, as I said, I'm pretty hopeless...)

I opened my game up, and immediately noticed the eGames logo, which made me hesitant, to say the least... My last foray with them ended with a rather nasty adware installed on my PC, to the point where a reformat ended up being necessary. Going to their website, I was assured that this was no longer their practice, and during installation, (unlike my previous game from them,) I was given the option to install a auto-check program regarding updates, new products, etc... Which I kindly declined.
Although I may take your recommendation to heart if I can find the time to reorganize the files to get rid of eGames... Thanks for the advice.

Thanks for your help!

All I ask is that you be gentle with those nukes...

Regards,

Aces~X~

[This message has been edited by Aces~X~ (edited October 17, 2003).]

IP:

coaxs
posted October 17, 2003 04:23 AM            
A flag tutorial can be found at my site url: coaxs.net or just click the sig.

Should be in the mod section.

------------------
Tread Marks Ladders

IP:

Aces~X~
posted October 17, 2003 04:31 AM         
Lastly, now that I start taking a look around in my folder... And thanks for any further help you're willing to give... What all should I be getting rid of within that folder if I want to take your recommendation?
Here's a quick peek... and my furthered confusion...

1)Should I remove the registration folder altogether, as that seems to go thru eGames.

2)I'm also going with the thought that the 2 eGames icons, the Galaxy html link, and the gbrowser should also find their way out.

3) The assets folder also appears to be completely eGames dominated... That go bye-bye, too?

And, will this cause a problem in the Add/Remove programs section of my PC, since the filepath would have changed? I know to keep the Unwise with the transfer, so I can uninstall from there, if need be. I also use a program called regcleaner to keep my PC clean as possible, which will allow me to remove "stuck" Add/Remove listings that refuse to go bye-bye with the actual program, on those rare occurrences, so I can remove that listing if this is the case...

Thanks again, sorry to be a pain, but I want to get everything shored up as soon as possible so you guys have someone else to kill...

Regards,

Aces~X~

[This message has been edited by Aces~X~ (edited October 17, 2003).]

IP:

Aces~X~
posted October 17, 2003 04:32 AM         
Thanks, coaxs!

Regards,

Aces~X~

IP:

coaxs
posted October 17, 2003 04:53 AM            
No problem Aces, just enjoy the game as much as we do.

1,2,3) All of us use clean copies of TM, so we may not know the answers. eGames is a new distributor for Tread MArks, whereas LDA use to release the game themselves. I would imagine it would be okay to remove what you said. To unistall TM, you can just delete the folder and all the components should be gone, except for the entry in your registry that regcleaner can get ridof that for you. Plus you can always reinstall over the same path in case anything "bad" happens, which i doubt would.

If you could delete that stuff and the game is still playable it would be good information for all of us to know.

------------------
Tread Marks Ladders

IP:

Aces~X~
posted October 17, 2003 04:58 AM         
I'll give it a shot soon. Followed your link to your website, and found the tutorial. Huge help! Bookmarked ya, as it seemed like you have a great selection for me to use as a resource as I begin my way through Treadmarks.

Thanks again!

Regards,

Aces~X~

IP:

Aces~X~
posted October 17, 2003 05:59 AM         
Went ahead and moved Treadmarks to a "non-eGames format"... It went smooth, no problems, and here's the step-by-step of "how-to".

1)Create in C:\Program Files, a seperate Treadmarks folder.

2) Select and copy all files within the C:\Program Files\eGames\Treadmarks group, copy and paste them to the new Treadmarks folder.

3) There will be a total of 3 folders; Game, Assets, and Register. Delete both Assets and Register. Register is for registration with eGames, and Assets *appears* to be nothing more than the bells and whistles for the eGames menu that initially loads up upon launch of Treadmarks.

4) There will also be the following files within this folder: Icon, eGames (another icon), eGames file folder, gbrowser, galaxy software (html file), an Install log, a title log, Unwise config file, and the actual Unwise file. I deleted the 2 eGames icons, the eGames file folder, the gBrowser, and the Galaxy Software html file.

5) This should leave you with the following items in your new C:\Program Files\Treadmarks folder:

The Game folder (and all it's files within it), the install and title logs, the unwise config file and the unwise tool...

Now, you'll have to go thru and adjust your shortcuts. Within the Games folder is the handy application file that runs Treadmarks, so you can get rid of the junky eGames logo they install as your default shortcut. Simply copy the Treadmarks application icon, then paste it onto your desktop and into your start menu via windows explorer. Make sure you select to "paste as shortcut". Simply pasting alone pastes a copy of the application file and will not work.

Delete any of your old icons, as they're no longer good, and then delete your no longer necessary C:\Program Files\eGames pathway.

As far as the Add/Remove Programs listing, which is pinned to the original installation, and it's pathway, simply goto your A/R programs, select to change/remove Treadmarks. Once you do, A/R will tell you that this program no longer appears to be on your PC, and do you wish to remove it from your A/R programs list. Click yes, and the no longer valid uninstall is removed from the A/R programs listing.

While I did cancel it from uninstalling during my test, it appears that the unwise you copied over to your new program files will run fine, you'll just have to do it from within the Treadmarks folder, as vs. the convenience of the A/R programs list. (Who would want to uninstall it, anyway?)

I ran a quick test from this new setup, and everything seems fine, however, I didn't actually start up a game, just ran thru into the menus.

SOOOOOO, before anybody does any of this, or if you decide to, (for those that may end up with the eGames distribution,) make sure that if you follow through with all the dletions, that you don't empty your recycling bin until everything's been tested thoroughly and running smoothly. If I get an opportunity within the next few days, I'll give my new "eGames-free" setup of Treadmarks a more vigorous rundown and make sure it passes a more stringent series of tests... For now, all I can assure people of is that it will get you to the menu screen, no problem, but I have not checked out the gameplay. Follow my instructions at your own risk.

Hope all that makes sense, because at 5 am, with only 4 hours of sleep from the night before, I'm not so sure it does...

Regards,

Aces~X~

IP:

LDA
Administrator
posted October 17, 2003 11:08 AM            
The "Game" folder that is buried inside is identical to the Tread Marks 1.6 folder that is created for the version installed from our site, so it can just be copied to a new location and renamed.

There is no copy protection or registration tied to the actual game so moving and renaming the folder is not a problem.... other than the need to manually create new shortcuts.

Jim

IP:

coaxs
posted October 17, 2003 04:38 PM            
If its okay with you Aces~X I'll add your post as a tutorial on how to remove the egames content to my site. Giving credit to you of course.

------------------
Tread Marks Ladders

IP:

Aces~X~
posted October 18, 2003 02:17 AM         
I'd be quite honored if you did, coaxs.

LDA certainly put it in less words than I did, but I'm curious if the other files I left, (the uninstaller, the uninstaller's config settings, and the 2 log files,) have become totally useless... If people wish to keep those in there because they do still pertain to the game, (minus the eGames portion of it,) or should they dump those, as well, due to them no longer being valid in any sort.
As I mentioned, a check of the uninstaller seemed to work fine, so I'm keeping it. If it turns out, and LDA may be able to point this out better than I, that the uninstaller will end up NOT working, then I suppose it's not needed. (Perhaps the uninstaller conks out if you actually try to use it all the way through... I just checked it to make sure it would start up fine, as I have NO intention of removing TreadMarks any time soon).

Regards,

Aces~X~

IP:

Aces~X~
posted October 18, 2003 02:28 AM         
A couple other things I should mention, which you may want to add to my run-through, coaxs, if you choose to use it.
1) I created a folder in the start menu titled, "Treadmarks", (what else,) and pasted the shortcut to start the game into this folder, as well as a shortcut to the uninstaller, so that in 5 years, (if ever,) I decide to uninstall Treadmarks (rather than just deleting it,) I'll have the uninstaller handy, as Treadmarks will no longer be in the Add/ Remove programs group, and I won't panic trying to remember exactly what in the *!#@ I did.

2) I'm running the game on Windows XP home edition, so I can't speak as to how older versions of Windoze will respond regarding the Add/ Remove programs response (asking you to remove it from the A/R grouping) once you have transferred the files over, making the original eGames pathway obsolete.

3) I would also recommend for those who have the availability to create a restore point before doing any of this... Never can be too careful, as I have learned and forgotten more times than I care to remember... No matter how safe something appears to be, (like 5 outs before a Cubs visit to the World Series,) it can seem to find a way to go wrong.

Thanks for all the help everybody, and I hope my wordy explanation was indeed a help to someone else in the future. Thanks coaxs for asking to put it up on your site... It was a nice surprise on an otherwise hectic day.

Regards,

Aces~X~

IP:

Blue n Gold Sue
posted October 24, 2003 11:52 PM            
Aces, Welcome.
I am sure you have been looking around. May I highly recommend some tools for you. First off, the EEK (entity something or other) which describes what all the entity commands do. Next is TMMapper. Next is ENTegrity, next is EntityDatabase..
there are others.
all are useful.
go to www.hallsted.us, and dig around. You will find *many* of the TM addons there!
Enjoy and may we see you on the battlefield soon!

IP:

Aces~X~
posted October 25, 2003 01:38 AM         
Thanks for all the help... Still mucking around, trying to work on a few things, and haven't had much playing time, but what little I find, I'm happily destroying more terrain than tanks...

Regards,

Aces~X~

IP: