This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2  |
Author Topic:   How do I make trees take 2-3 shot before they are fragged?
posted September 23, 2003 11:30 PM            
Wanting to know how to make the trees last a little longer. You can still frag them but it would take 2-3 shots of a 120MM cannon to get rid of them.

Thanks in advance.

IP:

BamZipPow
posted September 24, 2003 01:59 AM            
Make them into tanks...

IP:

KiLlEr
posted September 24, 2003 08:55 AM            
@666: Thats a lot of work. You would need to make more intermediate images for the trees, then edit the tree's entry in every map. There is an additional entry that controls how many 'hits' it takes to destroy a tree, more corectly, how many images till the tree goes boom. I forgot which it is, but it should be set to "4" normally.

[This message has been edited by KiLlEr (edited September 24, 2003).]

IP:

Blue n Gold Sue
posted September 24, 2003 10:30 AM            
I think there is also a way to string images together to make a new image appear after each hit. Matrix and Sailor each know how to do that, but I don't.

IP:

posted September 24, 2003 11:58 AM            
images already exist...if the tree has leaves...just use the one with out leaves

Still do not know what line I need to modify in the ent file for changing the frag.

IP:

KiLlEr
posted September 24, 2003 03:32 PM            
you didn't read my post thoroughly

its not in an ent file, the setting is in the map itself.

You must have as many images as you have the number of hits for each tree.

Open up a map with trees on it in TMapper, then pick a tree out of the entity list on the left hand side of the screen. Above the list is a bunch of text boxes, three of them are for the x,y and z coords. There is another that will be set to a value of '4', I think its the middle one on the bottom row of text boxes. I donot have TMapper in front of me to tell you exactly which of the text boxes it is, but you'll see it.

[This message has been edited by KiLlEr (edited September 24, 2003).]

IP:

Sailor
Administrator
posted September 24, 2003 08:46 PM            
The field Killer is talking about is the ID field on the entities tab in TMapper. That value can go as high as the number of images in the image file that is being used. Usually 4 for the stock TM image files of trees. Each time you hit a tree is decrements the count by 1 and displays the next image (less leaves) until it becomes zero and then the tree explodes, but if you hit it hard enough the first time it will destroy the tree immediately.

------------------
May you always have a following Sea a cool breeze at your back and the comfort of those you hold nearest to your heart.
Sailor's Home Port

IP:

posted September 26, 2003 03:05 AM            
So, Sailor...how do I increase the tree armor to take a bigger hit?

IP:

KiLlEr
posted September 26, 2003 08:57 AM            
We just did

There is no 'armor' for trees. You have to increase the number of images for the trees and change the ID for each tree's entry on every map to equal the total number of images.

[This message has been edited by KiLlEr (edited September 26, 2003).]

IP:

posted September 30, 2003 12:55 AM            
Well, what can I say...I am slow with this stuff. I still do not understand. Could you do an example?

IP:

JVortex
posted September 30, 2003 03:54 AM            
Think of it this way:

each "layer" of tree you have there is equal to 1 health point (this may or not be exactly correct, but its close enough to correct for this example). so a basic tree with an ID of 4 would have 4 layers to it and would therefore have, say, 4 health before it gets killed and blows up.

so to make a tree last longer; in TMapper increase its ID (ID? is that right? something like that) to 50 or 100 or something. then the tree can sorta sustain that much damage before blowing up. setting it to 1000 would make a tree that would probably survive the entire match.

again, this is another one of those things ive never bothered to fully test, but it SHOULD work :P.

and btw, HI EVERYBODY!!!!

------------------
Let the rocks roll and the battle commence. http://bzrpg.treadmarks.ath.cx/ .
Check out the site! Loads of Tread Marks support and AddOns. Home of the S.T.O.R.M Pack.
The Storm has arived!! :)

IP:

Sailor
Administrator
posted September 30, 2003 12:26 PM            
Hello JV. Good to see you still around and providing wisdom to the less informed. Question though. If you only have four images for a tree then what happens if you set the ID (that is the correct term) to 1000 or any other number higher than 4. I have not tested this myself, but will check it out to see. Just thought it might be an interesting question for the forum.

------------------
May you always have a following Sea a cool breeze at your back and the comfort of those you hold nearest to your heart.
Sailor's Home Port

IP:

KiLlEr
posted September 30, 2003 01:04 PM            
When I did this to one of my maps, TM kept crashing on my machine. When I changed it to the number of images for the tree (or less) it worked fine. I can't say everyone will get the same result though.

IP:

posted October 02, 2003 10:14 AM            
Thanks...but you are still talking to me as though I know all about these codes. I don't. When I say give me an example I mean the actually coded lines. From there I think I could figure it out.

Remember...I have kids...and not much time to fiddle with mods...oh and a deck...and there is the other 100 project still to be done...LOL

------------------
Tin Horn Community Admin Dictator at your service…that is…if I will do it!

IP:

KiLlEr
posted October 02, 2003 10:46 AM            
666, there are no coded lines. Its a setting in TMapper.

IP:

posted October 03, 2003 09:15 AM            
OK...sorry for being so slow. Then it is a setting in TMapper, in the image box. I will go look at it and see how it works. And the come back and tell all. Thanks for being pactience with me.

IP:

BamZipPow
posted November 12, 2003 12:59 AM            
You can also create new tree image files with the DX Image proggie.

Can you say Ice Trees or Fall colors?

IP:

BamZipPow
posted November 12, 2003 01:02 AM            
Fergot to add a Big Thanks to A2597 fer accidentally finding out about using DX Image to view the IMG files and a super duper big thanks to Romano Kasteel fer writing DX Image!

IP:

posted November 17, 2003 11:18 AM            
Well, I experimented with a tree at an ID at 4 then 10 and then 100.

1st off, I must admit I did not know that the trees change if you hit them below a certian speed. The tree at ID=4 would start off green and gradually turn brown after 3 light hits.

Increasing the ID number does not improve the frag durability of the trees. The trees with a higher ID number still frag as easily as a tree with the ID=4.

There must be an ent file that states at what speed a tank hits a tree or weapon amount that determines a tree durability.

If not, what is another option for increasing the tree durability?

IP:

KiLlEr
posted November 17, 2003 11:32 AM            
You need to have as many images in the tree's img file as you have in the ID field of the map otherwise it doesn't do anything.
If you put 10 in the ID field, you need at least 10 images in the tree's img file.

[This message has been edited by KiLlEr (edited November 17, 2003).]

IP:

posted November 17, 2003 11:41 AM            
OK...so how do I increase the number if ID. For example, would it be possible to take the existing 4 ID's and reassign them multiple times, therefore getting my 10 to 20 ID's. Even if that did work, would it increase the frag durability of the trees?

Need to know.

I am almost thinking that to get what I want I need to make the trees a weapon. But how do I put a weapon on the map with TMapper?

------------------
Race Ladder Results

IP:

KiLlEr
posted November 17, 2003 12:33 PM            
Yeap. You can reuse the images. I believe the tree's bmp images are included in the art folder along with the resulting img file. you can just use the original trees, and add them multiple times to create a new img file.

But remember, adding more images will make it use more texture memory.

To add a weapon to a map? Just add a mesh, then change it from a mesh to a weapon ent and pick the weapon you want. But then the tanks will pick up the trees.

I guess you ment a projectile? but then that would take one hit and its gone.

If you make them meshes, but then they will be indestructable.

Sorry, but upping the images in the tree's img file and setting the ID to the new image count is the only way to make them more durable.

LDA: We need destructable meshes. :/

ooo, assign an impact damage for a tank. That way a tank will take damage when it hits something.

Add that feature to meshes as well .

[This message has been edited by KiLlEr (edited November 17, 2003).]

IP:

Blue n Gold Sue
posted November 17, 2003 02:25 PM            
Tanks taking damage when they hit something only makes sense. Real physics stuff.

IP:

posted November 18, 2003 03:30 AM            
In the art directory there is an tree folder. Within that folder are images labeled like this: Tree3_000.bmp, with a high number labeled like this: Tree3_004.bmp.

So what I will do it take 000 and make copies of it from 000 to 004. Then take the old tree image of 001 and make copies of it from 005 to 010. Then do the same for the other old tree images of 002, 003, and 004. That would get me 20 images. Then maybe it will be durable.

Let me know if this is not correct.

Oh yeah, then I go to TM mapper and call out an ID=25 for that tree.

------------------
Race Ladder Results

IP:

Robo Jaws
posted November 18, 2003 05:11 AM            
<posh english acsent> By jove I think hes got it </posh english acsent>

IP:

This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2