|
Author Topic:   So where are the craters coming from?
Irascible
posted September 21, 2003 11:50 PM            
In testing I've set every single projectile ent to 0 crater 0 depth and 1 scorch. I'll then log on to that server late in the game and it still has to update craters. There's very few of course. But why are there any? Is there another source of craters and/or scorching other than projectiles?

IP:

Irascible
posted September 21, 2003 11:52 PM            
No sooner do I post the question than I think of trees. It must be updating destoyed and newly created trees. Is there anything else that causes updates?

IP:

Irascible
posted September 22, 2003 12:17 AM            
OK, so a treeless map and no tree weapon and I still had some updating of craters. Where are they coming from?

IP:

posted September 22, 2003 12:50 AM            
did you do the the tank gun ent?

entities\Projectile\TankGun1.ent

IP:

Irascible
posted September 22, 2003 01:45 AM            
"every single projectile ent"

Yes indeed.

IP:

wolfman
posted September 22, 2003 06:25 AM            
Just pulling a rabbit out of the hat - could it be scorching - maybe at a certain high level it causes mini craters? JT

PS
This is a blind guess lol

IP:

BamZipPow
posted September 22, 2003 01:55 PM            
Try taking scorching completely out...

I know..what would the TM engine be doing then? Hee hee hee...

IP:

BamZipPow
posted September 22, 2003 01:59 PM            
I had the same thing with the soccer mod. Maybe the mod needs to be updated someday...

IP:

KiLlEr
posted September 22, 2003 02:16 PM            
<voice mode="jabba">
OH HO HO HO HO HO HO
Foolish young Jedi!
</voice>

*All* projectiles create craters regardless of what you set crater and depth to. When a projectile explodes, an entry is made in a "exploded projectile list" on the server that contains data for every single projecile that has exploded in the current game.

This is the list that gets sent. Sometimes, you will actually see a replay of the explo/explospheres going off depending on how the projectile is designed. The only benefit to setting crater and depth to 0, and scorch to 1, is that the client's terrain map does not get modified. Which would slow the game down as it would need to recalculate the terrain and textures(which is a computationally expensive process). This improves the games framerate (the game slows down as the terrain gets more and more carved up), which also helps your connection as more resources are availible for network communication.

[This message has been edited by KiLlEr (edited September 22, 2003).]

IP:

Irascible
posted September 22, 2003 04:47 PM            
Ah yes. Memories of when I was a hormone addled teenager watching the pre-fat/pre-psycho Carrie Fisher in her wonderfully revealing slave's garb.

Anyway, so...

Is not setting scorch to 1 (as stated above) the same thing as taking it out Bam? Incidentally, I tried taking reference to scorch, depth and crater out completely as well. It was no different. But with Killer's explanation we now know why.

Bottom line Killer:
I'm trying to make (have to an extent already) a less laggy version of 85. From what you've said, it appears that my main problem with 85 is the sheer number of weapons that get fired. There's nothing I can do about that. But, I've made a version of 85 with nearly no terrain deformation or scorching. Also, I removed the transitory setting on just a few weapons. For example, it seems to me that setting transitory to 0 on the shotgun is silly - since it appears that it would propagate the shotgun's visual effects to all clients regardless of distance. Also when I first made it up, I significantly reduced the number of projectiles on quite a few weapons like the shot gun, volcano, shatter missile, etc. Does it sound like I'm on the right track? Is there anything else that can be done to reduce lag that I haven't mentioned?

IP:

coaxs
posted September 22, 2003 05:35 PM            
The tank treads should also make craters?

------------------
Tread Marks Ladders

IP:

KiLlEr
posted September 22, 2003 07:29 PM            
@coaxs: Nah the treadmarks arn't propagated thru the network.

@Irascible: Yes, making all smoke, explo, explophere, and streamer ents transitory = 0 (or removed) will reduce lag. THis means that anything that is a 'special effect' not to be propagted thru the network. THe only things that should have a transitory = 1 are projectiles and powerups. The downside is that clients may elect not to render transitory=0 items or render them in slightly the wrong spot. Which is ok by my standards. All transitory means is to have the server dictate the creation/destruction of that ent. If it is 1, then it is server controlled, and hence cause lag.

[This message has been edited by KiLlEr (edited September 22, 2003).]

IP:

Irascible
posted September 22, 2003 07:51 PM            
Right-O.

Except, I think you have the 0 and 1 backwards. It would make sense as you put it. But my eek says this:

"Default is 1, set transitory to 0 for any projectiles that should be exactly mirrored on clients, such as very guided projectiles."

There were a few set to 0 that I set to 1 to reduce lag. It seems to have worked.

IP:

KiLlEr
posted September 22, 2003 10:54 PM            
LOL I ALWAYS get it mixed up

IP:

posted September 23, 2003 02:13 AM            
very cool...I am learning every day...thx Ras for asking the question

IP:

KiLlEr
posted September 23, 2003 10:42 AM            
Just to make doubly clear for everyone else:

Transitory=0 forces the server to control the ent

Transitory=1 ent is entirly controlled on the client side

the default when Transitory is not specified in the ent file is Transitory=1

If you are working on a map with background sounds, or a projectile ent for a weapon, you must specify Transitory = 0 for it to work properly in multi-player.

IP:

posted September 23, 2003 04:01 PM            
I guess I could do this with the race server add eliminate the updating of crater also. Will try it.

IP: