This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2  |
Author Topic:   SuperTank from BattleZone (arcade)...
BamZipPow
posted September 19, 2003 12:19 AM            
Finally got figured out how to model the supertank from BattleZone (arcade version) and get it to look like it's vector based. you only saw this tank after you reached 25,000 or 30,000 points. If you never got up that high, then you'll probably get to meet it's twin brother on a server one day...

[This message has been edited by BamZipPow (edited September 19, 2003).]

IP:

BamZipPow
posted September 19, 2003 12:21 AM            
Fergot to add that it's a super low poly count tank. Only 24 poly count!

I still have to tweak the bitmap out a bit as you can see. But at least you can see through the tank!

IP:

harmless
posted September 19, 2003 12:36 AM            
please let us know when we can get our hands
on it. that was one of the few arcade games
that i spent a lot of quarters on.
it's looking good.

IP:

Teulk
posted September 19, 2003 12:59 AM            
Hell yeah... I remember that one!!

IP:

BamZipPow
posted September 19, 2003 02:19 PM            
Here's the basic tank from BattleZone (arcade):

IP:

BamZipPow
posted September 19, 2003 02:23 PM            
Cleaned up SuperTank...

IP:

BamZipPow
posted September 19, 2003 02:23 PM            
Screen shot from the arcade game...

IP:

BamZipPow
posted September 19, 2003 02:33 PM            
Added the treadlines fer the basic tank...

IP:

BamZipPow
posted September 19, 2003 02:46 PM            
Just so you know...the SuperTank isn't setup to have the turret spin. I guess it can be but it does look weird.

However...the basic BZ tank can be setup to do allow that.

I'll take some testers on the tanks if someone is so inclined...need some feedback.

Nothing special about the tanks. Uses stock ammo. The turrets are locked though so if yer thinking of spinning the turret...nope!

The SuperTank does have a faster acceleration and top speed. It can almost catch the Mite!

IP:

BamZipPow
posted September 19, 2003 04:25 PM            
I guess the next thing would be to do is model the Missle and the projectile to just about complete it.

IP:

wolfman
posted September 19, 2003 05:07 PM            
i would love to test it - spazman769@yahoo.com thanks JT

IP:

BamZipPow
posted September 19, 2003 09:29 PM            
File sent. Make sure you give me some feedback. Still trying to work out some things fer it so if you want to be heard...you'd better speak up!

IP:

harmless
posted September 20, 2003 04:04 AM            
let it as is ...
i don't turn my turret anyway,
so this is a good tank for me.
send me the file, pleeeaaaasssssseeeeeeeeee.
michael@hallsted.com
tanks alot.
harmless

IP:

BamZipPow
posted September 20, 2003 05:30 AM            
File sent... Remember..this is only an Alpha release. There's more tweaking to be made on them thar tanks!

Even though it's not part of the tank package, I just finshed the saucer and missile models. Most of the obsticles in the game were just block primatives. I guess I could make models of them and then make a flat map to place them on.

IP:

BamZipPow
posted September 20, 2003 05:33 AM            
I've slapped up a quick tank test server fer you to play with. You'll find out that I've changed the tank gun on the tanks to something a bit different. Let me know if it works fer yah...

IP:

wolfman
posted September 20, 2003 06:31 AM            
Hiya
Can't get it to work - have downloaded the file, unzipped to 2 different tm installs and the name of the tanks show up, but no preview pics. Went into the addons folder to ensure files for the mod there - and yes they are. No idea what I am doing wrong - maybe yahoo corrupted the file on my end. Has happened before. Will send u an email direct with another email addy. Thanks bud.
JT

IP:

BamZipPow
posted September 20, 2003 09:14 AM            
Not sure on that one...maybe I fergot to add something? Anyways, I've added a few more tanks to the fray and sent the pack back out to yer new email.

Server is now hosting the new tanks as well. Remember...no stock tanks on the server. Just the "vector" based ones...

IP:

coaxs
posted September 20, 2003 03:08 PM            
send it over here tooo

coaxs@coaxs.net

[This message has been edited by coaxs (edited September 20, 2003).]

IP:

BamZipPow
posted September 20, 2003 04:09 PM            
Okay, Coaxs....file sent.

IP:

wolfman
posted September 20, 2003 08:00 PM            
Hi Got it to work now - very cool Only a few minutes to putz with it - love the weapons effects - hopefully will have time to test some more and then I will give feedback tomorrow or Monday. Thanks again. JT

IP:

harmless
posted September 21, 2003 03:27 AM            
very interestinig tanks...
good practice for the one shot server.
the tanks worked fine for me... and since
i still play v1.0.1 at home,
the tanks work in v1.0.1 just fine.
the battle tank is easier to control than the super tank.
i wasn't flipping around as much with the battle tank as i was with the super tank.
i tried them both out on DM Glacier.

what i curious to me... how does the game know if it is a steel tank or a liquid tank?
since the game was treating them as steel tanks.

toodles,
harmless

IP:

BamZipPow
posted September 21, 2003 03:34 AM            
The game will know it's a liquid tank if you put in the name of the tank that it's a liquid. So if you rename the tank to Liquid SuperTank or Liquid BattleZone, TM will treat them as the liquid category.

IP:

BamZipPow
posted September 21, 2003 06:44 AM            
Saucer is almost complete. Need to tweak it out a bit. This guy will be a tough one to fight against! I might end up revisting this mesh as I don't think I have it just right...we'll see about it.

The Missile isn't turning out to be a good tank. It's gotta be a weapon...at least I tried. It's too unstable and has a tendency to flip with the slightest bump.

IP:

wolfman
posted September 21, 2003 03:04 PM            
Very cool. Defintely good practice for one shot boomstick. Weapon effects absolutely perfect - woof. Speed and handling seem to work just fine. Need a little more time to play lol Thanks JT

IP:

KiLlEr
posted September 21, 2003 03:37 PM            
All you need now is a map and custom skybox

IP:

This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2