|
Author Topic:   Poor Handling
SA
posted August 21, 2003 06:21 AM         
I know this is going to sound blasphemous to you longtime Tread Marks fans, but I am going to say it anyway. I don't know whether the game changed since I last played it (v1.01), or whether I simply changed my tastes, but I HATE the handling of the tanks included with the game. I am not looking for realistic tank physics since that wouldn't be much fun, but I can't stand the way that the tank slides all over the place like it is on ice. It is very difficult to get item pickups when the tank constantly slides right by them.

So, can anyone recommend an existing mod which rectifies this or give suggestions on how to change the tank handling? I am also interested if anyone else feels the same way, or if any of you know some secrets on how to control the sliding without modifying the game.

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted August 21, 2003 07:03 AM            
You can change the global physics settings in the sabot.ent file, this will be fine for SP mode, but dependant on the mod running on online servers when you join. In otherwords, if you join say a MOON map on LDA, you will be using LDA's world physics setting same as everyone else.

My upcoming mod "The Scion Incident" uses really heavy gravity maps, high speed and friction adjusted tanks to really give them that weighty realistic feel. It should be out round Xmas if i can find time to really sit down n get my teeth into it.

IP:

VorDesigns
posted August 21, 2003 11:25 AM            
When I first started playing the game, I had an Elsa Erazor III vidoe card running on a P/III 700, I felt like i was Buster Keaton and everyone else seemed to be Charlie Chaplin. I scrabbled all over the place and Charlie was kickin' my butt everywhere.
Then I changed to an ATI Radeon 7500 running on a P/IV 1.8 which made me feel like ev-ri-thing, was, stan, ding, still. I got very good at aerial shots
Just recently I played on a system running a Matrox G200 running dual socket 370(?) 300Mhz Celerons and never could get the smoke to go away.
My point being, your hardware has a lot to do with your game experience.

IP:

SA
posted August 21, 2003 01:20 PM         
quote:

My point being, your hardware has a lot to do with your game experience.

While I certainly agree with your statement, my PC would be considered way more than "godly" by the standards of the original Tread Marks. I have an Athlon XP 2600 with Nvidia FX 5200 Ultra. Frame rate is not my problem. Even with the video settings on the highest quality, my fps usually shows well over 100 while playing on the maps I have tried.

I don't really mind the fact that tanks behave like they are in space when hit, i.e. the amount of knockback and inertia is enormous, but I hate all of the sliding while simply trying to turn. I don't expect a tank to handle like a roadster, but these tanks slide much worse than the cars in the game Powerslide, and not in a good way.

[This message has been edited by SA (edited August 21, 2003).]

IP:

coaxs
posted August 21, 2003 04:19 PM            
LDA offers more realistic physics, check here for superfriction http://www.treadmarks.com/mods.html

IP:

A2597
posted August 21, 2003 04:50 PM            
easiest way is to do it yourself. some poeple LOVE the slip and slide defaults (You can tell I don't) and I even find LDAs fix to not be enough...

goto Tread Marks\entities\TankGod
and open sabot.ent in wordpad

find:
#Gravity = 0, -10, 0
#Friction = 7.5
Gravity = 0, -10, 0
Friction = 7.5

the ones with the # in front are commented out, and list the default options.

gravity:
don't like tanks flying everywhere? change it to a lower number

friction: don't like tanks sliding everywhere? change it to a higher number ( iuse like, 14 to 17 for friction, and leave gravity alone. I LOVE the flying tanks! )

------------------
### Hi, I'm a sig virus. Please add me to the end of your signature so I can take over the world. ### - Caught from excaliber @ B5mg.com

Flying Tanks and Cookie Dough?
Oh, wait, no. If tanks were ment to fly they would have been born with little bags of salted peanuts.

IP:

A2597
posted August 21, 2003 04:55 PM            
oh, and if you hadent figured it out, all weapon/tank data is stored in the ent files, and all are easy to edit. so if your like me, and sometimes want an all nukes match, just open the Nuke weapon ent and raise its weight to 100 ot 1000 higher # = more often will it show up.

or lets say you have a tank you like, and love giving yourself an unfair advantage:
open the tile end and change its weapon projectile. (Like the plasma ball, or something, look in the projectile folder for projectile names)

etc etc. I remember once I made a plasma falcon that had a top speed of 300, weapon of a plasma ball, refire rate of 0.2, and good accel..fun for rampages!

------------------
### Hi, I'm a sig virus. Please add me to the end of your signature so I can take over the world. ### - Caught from excaliber @ B5mg.com

Oh, wait, no. If tanks were ment to fly they would have been born with little bags of salted peanuts.

IP:

SA
posted August 21, 2003 10:26 PM         
Thanks, guys! That was exactly what I was looking for.

I take it that the friction and gravity settings are global (they affect all tanks) and are not specific to a certain tank model. Is that correct?

IP:

A2597
posted August 21, 2003 11:25 PM            
friction only effect tanks, yes.

but gravity will effect projectiles as well. generally a good idea not to mess with that unless you want to edit alot of the projectiles as well...

------------------

IP:

Rex R
posted August 22, 2003 01:32 AM            
pls note that the edited sabot.ent should be placed in 'AddOns\entities\TankGod' likewise any edited weapons should also be placed in the addons folder(just those files that you change, makes it easier to track them down later if you wish to try something different)

IP:

SA
posted August 26, 2003 05:05 PM         
quote:
A2597
gravity:
don't like tanks flying everywhere? change it to a lower number

I believe you mean change it to a higher number, i.e. less negative number.

IP:

SA
posted August 26, 2003 06:37 PM         
I also now see that each tank's entity file can specify "GravityScale" and "FrictionScale" values to apply proportionate amounts of the global friction and gravity values to that particular tank.

I have been experimenting with the global friction and gravity values, but I still haven't gotten handling I really like. Increasing friction appears to hamper turning speed and not just sliding and may also be reducing velocity and acceleration due to the increased drag.

IP:

A2597
posted August 26, 2003 08:28 PM            
nope, I ment negative.

you look at it like the Graphing axis, X = horizonal, Y = verticle, and Z = depth.

in this case, a positive Y value would make the takes litterally fly upwards, it can be humerous, but well...you can't play that way. The lower the number, the higher the gravity.

------------------

IP:

Blue n Gold Sue
posted August 26, 2003 09:00 PM            
If I recall correctly, Goldant made a mod to run TM 1.6 like TM 1.0. I think I have it at home and I can send it to you if you are interested.

IP:

KONG
posted August 26, 2003 09:04 PM            
try this: http://qersys.ath.cx/mobettatanks.zip

IP:

SA
posted August 28, 2003 09:40 PM         
quote:

try this: http://qersys.ath.cx/mobettatanks.zip

That link appears to be dead.

IP:

SA
posted August 28, 2003 09:48 PM         
quote:

nope, I ment negative.

I was thinking it worked like gravity values in the real world.

[This message has been edited by SA (edited August 28, 2003).]

IP: