|
Author Topic:   An intersting observation about an old mod weapon.
Irascible
posted April 19, 2003 03:50 PM            
The gravity bang, also known as powerwonk to you ent file readers, is one of my favorite weapons. Kudos to Dudymas.

Yesterday Melon attempted to hit me with it. I timed the discharge of a plasma shield to defend against it. Within seconds the server cpu spiked to 100% and the server app froze. It turns out that when the weapon makes a hit, it spews a maximum of six more projectiles. This isn't usually a problem because while a lot of the projectiles hit the tank, most don't because the tank is small enough to bounce around and out of the way.

But with the plasma shield the target is big enough that ALL the projectiles hit. So it becomes a geometric growth of projectiles: 6x6x6x6x6x6x6x6x6x6... If only I could make money that way (that was NOT an invite to any network marketers that might be out there ).

What I ended up doing was bringing the max spew down to 1, like the shadow that the gravity bang emulates. So even if it hits a big object, it's only 1x1x1x1x1... I also brought the weapon count up, increased its kick severely, lowered the reload time and doubled the range. That keeps and even magnifies the effect of lots of hits and bouncing around. In fact, in testing there were a number of occasions that the defending AI bounced up REAL high (out of reach of the original gravity bang) and stayed there while being pummeled. Real fun.

Now I just wish I had started playing with mods when there were more modders around. This place is a ghost town.

[This message has been edited by Irascible (edited April 19, 2003).]

IP:

BamZipPow
posted April 19, 2003 07:29 PM            
Cricket...cricket...cricket. LOL!!

IP:

Random Chaos
posted April 26, 2003 11:09 PM            
Ghost town...yeah...unfortunately.

I need to bug A2597 about the B5 mod. I want to release some of the maps from it, I just haven't had the time to get them finished and out.

But we also have quite a few weapons for that mod, most unfinished. And now that A2597 has basically started on other projects, this one has sort of...stalled. And I really want to get these out...

IP:

Scrap Metal
posted May 11, 2003 09:06 PM            
Hey, you stole my ghost town quote

I'm hoping that once school lets out, someone will teach me to mod. Then it will be slightly less ghost town-ish.

[This message has been edited by Scrap Metal (edited May 11, 2003).]

IP:

posted May 17, 2003 05:16 AM            
very cool Ras...

IP: