|
Author Topic:   Any ideas on the cause of server instability?
Irascible
posted April 12, 2003 10:09 PM            
My server crashes now and then.

-I've added the flag master packs because I got tired of the errors. Could that have caused instability?
-I removed DasMirvII because the bomblettes would, after they exploded, sometimes leave the picture of a completely motionless cruise missle as though it were at a weapons spawn point. But when you drove over the apparent cruise, it would disappear like a vanishing plama mine. Could that have caused instability?
-Usually the lock up will just be the TM app itself. But I got a hard lock once. I was playing on the same comp as the server that time (though I don't usually). I think I was playing from the same TM install too. Could using the same computer and/or the same install cause the problem?
-It just so happens that the hard lock took place right when it seemed a whole bunch of shadow mines were doing their thing. The shadow mine wonk sound was stuck in a loop when the hard lock happened. I've heard TM has issues with sound when you've got a lot of mods (though these are all SSO). Could the hard lock have been caused by the game app not liking the noise issue and/or the server app not liking it?

Thanks in advance.

Or,
-Having shortened the reload time on the shadow causes the wonk sound to repeat real fast. Maybe that's a problem?
-Being on a cable modem I have very limited upload. Maybe when the action gets intense it's too much info. Could the inability to update quick enough cause instability of the server? I changed the rate from 10000 to 7500. I suppose that means the 7500 bps per client?

I'm just thinking out loud.

[This message has been edited by Irascible (edited April 12, 2003).]

IP:

KONG
posted April 12, 2003 10:46 PM            
Mayhap your machine just isn't up to the task?

------------------
Qersys

Ut sementem feceris ita metes

IP:

wolfman
posted April 12, 2003 11:07 PM            
Shadow mines caused problems with mine as well way back when lol Also, caused problems when ran tm and tm server off same install. JT

IP:

wolfman
posted April 12, 2003 11:08 PM            
Let u know - both myself and my son had a blast on your server until we locked it up with about 4 others playing. We all were having a blast. Love that flower power mod -and the comment lol JT

IP:

Irascible
posted April 12, 2003 11:56 PM            
Thanks. Now I'm down to 56 weapons.

It appears to be that the weapons that use a lot of ent files are more problematic. Shadow summoner, DasMirvII and shadow mines all use a lot more than just the typical two.

FYI, the intent of the server is to have lots of mods that all require the attacker to engage at a relatively close range and don't require a download. You won't get any frags from a CM or something like that on an enemy that's half the map away. That prevents camping and makes it more fun IMO. The only fire and forget weapon I've left in there is Tree Strike.

IP:

KONG
posted April 13, 2003 12:03 AM            
Remember, sprites=lag

IP:

Rex R
posted April 13, 2003 02:03 AM            
dang you've got the server rate set to 7500! no wonder things were jumping around fer me last nite. thats huge. FYI par normally runs his at 3000

IP:

Irascible
posted April 13, 2003 07:25 AM            
Too vague Kong. All I know is that a sprite is a pretty picture. So too many pretty pictures cause lag? I need more.

OK Rex, I'm trying 5000.

IP:

Teulk
posted April 13, 2003 03:26 PM            
I'm confused now (too much JD)..are you running the 56 weapons server?? If so, the description at the bottom of the master server calls for stock tanks and weapons, yet all the tanks are liquid...if not, I'll stick to my drink (and the meds)

IP:

BamZipPow
posted April 13, 2003 05:09 PM            
They are all standard stock tanks... Maybe because of yer meds they are all liquidy looking...

IP:

Rex R
posted April 13, 2003 06:29 PM            
sprites are anything that does not use a 'mesh'. examples are; plasma mines, tankgun(peashooter), wonky gun (and gravity bang), smoke trails etc. if in your travels through projectile ents you see; texture = sprites/xxx, then that item uses a sprite. one drawback to sprites is they look the same regardless of viewing angle(if you've played 'doom' and saw the dead bodies rotating as you walked around them...)

IP:

Irascible
posted April 14, 2003 03:55 AM            
Yeah Teulk, that would be mine. Though now it's at 64 weapons. I made and added SSO versions of plasma nukes, wave motion cannon, etc. There are plenty of stock liquid tanks. Though at this point its set for all steel.

So I understand what a sprite is Rex. I just don't know why they cause lag.

IP:

Irascible
posted April 14, 2003 03:55 AM            
BTW, it's been perfectly stable since the shadow mines were dropped.

IP:

BamZipPow
posted April 14, 2003 06:01 AM            
It's that the engine has to keep track of each sprite... Especially bouncing mines!!!

IP:

Irascible
posted April 14, 2003 01:01 PM            
And it doesn't keep track of meshes? Correct me if I'm wrong, I think tracking of meshes by the server is determined by the transitory setting in the projectile's ent file. So I'm guessing that meshes like the cruise missle would be tracked just like sprites. Though if that's true, then I see your point since most meshes aren't set to be tracked by the server and apparently ALL sprites have to be.

Are non-moving sprites also tracked? The mine thrower throws out a bunch of small green mines. What I did with it was cut the amount of mines down by half and increased their damage on the assumption that that would help reduce lag.

Is the lag caused by the shatter missle and shot gun the same type of thing? I'm thinking that that's different in the sense that those cause a lot of crater updates instead of causing tracking issues.

[This message has been edited by Irascible (edited April 14, 2003).]

IP:

Irascible
posted April 15, 2003 12:03 AM            
I "delagged" the dragonflies Kong. Thanks for pointing that out.

IP:

wolfman
posted April 20, 2003 01:24 AM            
iras
found out the name of the weapon that I was describing with the plasma beams coming out of the sky in a row - MX Cannon from Sage. Sent him an email asking if he could send me a copy. Will let you know. Thanks
John

IP:

posted May 10, 2003 11:27 AM            
thx you Ras for asking the question.

IP: