|
Author Topic:   What's the quickest turning stock tank?
Irascible
posted February 05, 2003 03:41 AM            
Is there an actual number in the TM files someplace that determines how fast a tank turns itself left and right? I'm referring to stock tanks on stock maps. And I'm referring to how the whole tank turns itself and not the turret. If so, which tank turns the fastest? Draconian seems to turn pretty quick. I'm wondering if there's another that turns faster than that.

Thanks in advance.

IP:

Rex R
posted February 05, 2003 04:00 AM            
as I recall they all have the same max accel,'cept the mite, which partly determines how well a tank handles (stops, goes, turns on its axis...) staying with the 'steel tanks' I'ld say the 'dwarf' tank is right up there, likewise the talon. what really sets the turn rate (I think) is location of; treads, for lack of a better term, center of mass. haven't really gone into trying out various shapes of tanks etc. to find out what factors determine turn rates

IP:

Irascible
posted February 06, 2003 03:56 AM            
Ah. So it sounds like there's no one specification in a tank's file that determines how quick it turns. Bummer. I'll just have to time them to see if there's any measurable difference.

IP:

KiLlEr
posted February 06, 2003 08:53 AM            
Mass, Acceleration, FrictionScale and GravityScale alter the tanks turning rate.

IP:

coaxs
posted February 06, 2003 12:59 PM            
Someone yelled at me the other day saying that there was a difference between the tanks.

------------------
Tread Marks Ladders

IP:

Irascible
posted February 06, 2003 09:53 PM            
Hey Killer,
Are all of those specifications linear in relationship? In other words, could I add up those four numbers for each tank and determine that the one with the lowest total turns the quickest?

IP:

KiLlEr
posted February 07, 2003 08:58 AM            
GravityScale and Acceleration are additive.
Mass and FrictionScale are subtractive.

All of the stock tanks in TM have a mass of 1Kg.

GravityScale and FricationScale are defaulted to 1 for stock tanks.

Acceleration may be different for each tank (I never looked).

But while I was building the tanks for TeamCTF, I found that the game has a decent physics engine that takes inertial into account. For example the Kick parameter is a Kg value which TM multiplies by the velocity of the projectile. The stength of the impact is altered by the position, speed and mass of the victim tank. That is why when kick defaults to 1, the tank gets knocked for a loop. The default mass for a tank is 1. so when you have a fast projectile (300 m/s) hitting with a mass of 1, the tanks gets hit with a force 300 times heavier than the tank.

[This message has been edited by KiLlEr (edited February 07, 2003).]

IP:

wolfman
posted February 07, 2003 09:13 AM            
Acceleration does vary tank by tank. When I was doing my crazy mods server that was one of the first things that I changed, as well as max speed. JT

IP:

Irascible
posted February 09, 2003 04:09 AM            
If I ever time the tanks I'll let you know.

IP:

posted February 20, 2003 02:54 AM            
Ras...face it...the Drawf is the quickest and fasted steel tank...everyone is using it.

Try it...you'll like it.

------------------
Play Hard...Play Fair...See You Online

IP:

Irascible
posted February 22, 2003 04:34 PM            
Informal tests show me that the Dwarf took a second or so longer than the Draconian to turn 360 degrees. I have tried the Dwarf Aku/666/Devil. I didn't like it because it got tossed around too easy.

IP:

Irascible
posted February 22, 2003 04:36 PM            
And after the butt whipping I gave you last night, well... let's just say that maybe you should "face it" and try the Draconian. :^P

IP:

posted February 26, 2003 01:05 PM            
Thanks Ras...I just might try it.

------------------
Play Hard...Play Fair...See You Online

IP: