This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2  |
Author Topic:   Weapons Suggestions
Jeff/Lightning4
posted September 15, 2002 01:56 AM            
Heres a few weps Id like to see.

Name Uses Mounting point
Description

Hydrogen Bomb 1 Hull
Kaboom! Makes a huge blast crater, and destroys anyone that was stupid enough to be in its path.

Wall Gun 4 Turret
Makes a small, thin, high area of terrain for your use. Also effective for making tanks fly or making a fort, or a blockade.

Armageddon 1 Rear
Calls an asteroid, or alot of nukes, or both. Almost mapwide devistation.

Evil Mines 4 Rear
Dark, pitch black speedbumps for your enemies!

Shock Cannon 8 Turret
Shoots a ball of intense energy.

Flamin' Fury 1 Hull
Calls a huge flame under any enemy nearby. Great for Kentucky Fried Tank!

Shovel 30 Hull
Great for digging traps, or flinging your opponent, or even throwin some dirt on his name, literally!

Spike Barrage 30 (10 per barrage) Turret
Give your enemy the point!

Water Gun 3 Turret
Makes an area on the ground thats shiny and blobby, tanks going through it slow down. Tanks hit by it get hurt. Similar to its cousin the Ice Cannon.

------------------
The rockets red glare, the nukes bursting in air, gave proof through the night, that no tanks were still there...

IP:

Rex R
posted September 15, 2002 05:38 AM            
wall gun; I'm reasonably sure this type of mod has been done(spire maker, part of the mining mods pak).
not to curb your enthusium, but just curious, have you given any thought as to having these weapons used against yourself?

IP:

Jeff/Lightning4
posted September 15, 2002 04:01 PM            
I found a mod, it might be what you are talking about. The Great Wall of China weapon, but Im not very satisfied because it creates a giant wall all the way to the limit, and it keeps going, repeating itself on the map over and over until it runs out.

IP:

Random Chaos
posted September 15, 2002 05:38 PM            
Not sure where my spiremaker has gotten to. I seem to have lost it - its on my laptop at home though.

Here's how it was made:
Take the Swarmers. Change the crater height to about 25. Change the damage to about 0.05. Done.

Here is the full mining mod (has a LOT of extra weapons in it) - as I recall its randomized so you will only see the Spire Maker after discharging another weapon.
http://141.195.134.16:25000/TMMods/Maps/mining.zip
(that site will only be up for a few days)

IP:

Rex R
posted September 16, 2002 01:59 AM            
thank you RC. I grabbed a copy of it. and one of these days I might even get organized to the point of sorting through my files and put all my tm stuff on one cd

IP:

JVortex
posted September 16, 2002 07:19 AM            
nice to see the mod ideas crankin out! (says the guy who hasnt been around in months....) anyhow, in reply .

Hydrogen Bomb
theres a few like this one already. theres Blandys nuke mines and vlads antimatter weapon for example that are similar

Wall Gun
this is a cool idea, but a pain in the butt to manage. TM only really likes making spherical craters with a variable height/ depth, meaning always round, not oblong. multiple "craters" chained side by side can make a wall however. problem is that the steeper the angle (closer to 90 degrees) you get the more TM doesnt like it and it tends to begin to bog down. so if you have a "wall" made up of like 10 inverted steep angle explos you couldnt get too many on the map at once and have TM still be happy.
with the way TM handles terrain variations it deals with them much better when all the terrain angles/ terrain/ craters are smooth and rolling rather than sharp and abrupt, and the more sharp angles you have the more it will slow down. its surprisingly not the amount of sharp angled surface area that causes a problem, but just the number of sharp angles you have. meaning you can have a sharp 90 degree wall going the entire length of your map (call that like 5000 "feet" or so) and it doesnt cause much of a performance problem, but having like 10 sharp angles on the map that are only like 10 "feet" wide can start to cause a problem. just ask Matrix, he had to tackle this problem on a map of his for the BZ mod, hehe.

Armageddon
now theres one thats easily doable!
do this for a "quick and dirty" version of what youre after:

1) make a copy of your
Entities\Weapon\Airstrike.ent file

2) place the copy into your
AddOns\Entities\Weapon\ folder

3) open up the copied version of Airstrike.ent that you just put into your AddOns folder in a text editor

4) change the line that reads:
projectile = strike
to read:
projectile = NukeMissile

thattl be fun . blast the map w/ 10 nukes each time you get an Airstrike weapon. there are of course many cleaner ways to do this, but thats an easy start for ya.

Evil Mines
RC made shadow mines a while back, is that kinda what youre after? if youre after invisible mines then changing the texture of the plasma mines projectile from
sprites/PlasmaBall.bmp
to
sprites/Black.bmp
would do it.

if however youre after a black colored plasma mine that would be more difficult since TM uses black as its transparency color. so the closer a color is to black the more transparent it is. there are of course various ways around this, but of the ones i can think of offhand none would really be "pretty". im kinda pickey like that, heh. about the best you could probably manage would be a dark grey id say.

Flamin' Fury
check out Vlads Flame Thrower! hehe.

Shovel
a couple of these are around. DVS Duke originally made his... ummm..... crap, i dont recall the name at the moment... Diggin Drill i think? i later made the Plasma Shovel. check em both out and see whatcha think.

Spike Barrage
Moriarty made one similar to this. he made an explosive D20 weapon (a 20 sided die that explodes into timy component pieces) thats really well done, lots a work went into that one.

Water Gun 3 Turret
should be doable, would just take a little work and probably a custom mesh .

there, another long winded post by JV . lots more info that you wanted and probably much more than you care about. hehe, its been a while and this seemed a worthy post, lol.

------------------
Let the rocks roll and the battle commence. http://www.bzrpg.2ya.com .
Check out the site! Loads of Tread Marks support and AddOns. Home of the S.T.O.R.M Pack.
The Storm has arived!! :)

IP:

KONG
posted September 16, 2002 08:47 AM            
Hmm, I be seein alot of double spaces in there. JV must be outa practice

I added rc's mining mod and Dudy's last FTnCD to tm mod edit. I wil put them in the dloads section when I gets a chance.

------------------
UGotDaNuke

[This message has been edited by KONG (edited September 16, 2002).]

IP:

Sage
posted September 16, 2002 11:11 PM            
I've already done the astroides weapon( IF you all remember?). They were called the V1 Strike. They called for a shower of meteors to crash down on any opponent in front of you/near by. It is actually one of my favorite weapons. Also, I did a flam cannon which shot out a ball of fire and then on empact sot out a bunch of smaller fireballs.

IP:

KiLlEr
posted September 17, 2002 12:40 PM            
I've already done a wall gun. It's called "The Great Wall".
http://www.boomstickjoes.com/treadmarks/main.php?page=BJS/downloads_weapons.php&group=BJS&uid=&

IP:

Jeff/Lightning4
posted September 18, 2002 12:00 AM            
But why must the wall repeat over the map several times before stopping? At least a smaller version would be nice . And for asteroids, Im talkin armageddon style > . Big crater, smoke, fire, mapwide destruction, the works .

[This message has been edited by Jeff/Lightning4 (edited September 18, 2002).]

IP:

Vlad
posted September 18, 2002 12:51 AM            
quote:
But why must the wall repeat over the map several times before stopping?

Well, it's technically not repeating, it's the way TM handles maps. The maps in TM repeat forever, so if you start in the center of DM Caldera, and drive in one direction, you're going to come across another large crater identical to the first (minus spawn points, etc). This allows the game to have the feel of a large play area, and not to be restricted by invisible walls or some other obstacle.

The thing is, if each iteration of a map kept its own damage seperate, the lag would be horrendous. The engine would essentially have to keep track of an infinite amount of information, as the maps go on forever. Thus, whatever damage is done to any part of the map is mirrored in the correct location on all the copies. So if you use a nuke and take a chunk out of the big ramp on The Ramp, the rest of the ramp copies will have that same chunk.

Now when you make a weapon, you tell it how fast it goes, and how long it exists. This gives it a fixed lifetime, that can't be altered in-game unless it hits something (ground, tank, tree, etc). So when you fire off the wall maker, it's not looping around the map per se, but as soon as it runs off one side of the map onto the other side of the map copy, then the wall appears to loop, as the wall created on the map copy is repeated on the main map.

quote:
And for asteroids, Im talkin armageddon style > . Big crater, smoke, fire, mapwide destruction, the works .

There's some similar stuff out there. If you're looking for large-scale destruction, check out the Annihilator and Multi-Phasic Nuke.

IP:

wolfman
posted September 18, 2002 10:06 AM            
Just a thought - the mining kit had a dirtball chain. Also, a mole type weapon was done that did a short ridge. JT

IP:

Jeff/Lightning4
posted September 18, 2002 07:57 PM            
No no, I mean why must the wall go onto the repeats of the map? Maybe a smaller wall would be better instead of it going farther and farther into the repeat zone .

IP:

Rex R
posted September 19, 2002 12:29 PM            
because that is how the game engine was written. it would rapidly bog down if it had to handle the craters for each map separately not to mention that you would run out of memory in a big hurry.

IP:

Jeff/Lightning4
posted September 19, 2002 02:33 PM            
No no no no no! You dont understand. Why must the wall be so long? Why must it go so far and not stay on the 'main' map instead of stretching out into the repeat zone. Im not talking about it being singled out on one map, I mean, why must it overlap on the other maps? At least a toned down version would be nice .

------------------
The rockets red glare, the nukes bursting in air, gave proof through the night, that no tanks were still there...

IP:

Rex R
posted September 20, 2002 02:08 AM            
ANY CRATER GETS REPEATED all a spire or wall(1) is, is a crater with negative depth

(1) in some cases people have used 3d meshes (buildings and the like) they don't get repeated but the game likes them less than the craters

IP:

Sage
posted September 21, 2002 01:51 PM            
Maybe if you asked you question more Intelligently then maybe would could anwser it. There are only two anwser anyway, either this is how the person made there weapon, or the same anwser everybodys been giving you. If you don't know how to ask a certin question, don't ask. Also, it would help a great deal if you were a moddeler.

Hmmmm, I Got an idea!

IP:

Jeff/Lightning4
posted September 21, 2002 08:08 PM            
Ok. Let me put this simply. Why must the timetolive be so long? That makes an enormous wall that stretches and stretches and messes up the map. THATS what I mean. Im not talking about the doohicky youre trying to say, Im saying why must it live so long and make the wall so large that it screws up the map. Thats what I am trying to say.

Im saying that maybe a smaller wall would be more useful, instead of a wall that goes as far as it can up and makes it so long it repeats over itself several times.

[This message has been edited by Jeff/Lightning4 (edited September 21, 2002).]

IP:

KONG
posted September 21, 2002 08:14 PM            
"time to live" is how long the projectile lasts. Not the effect. once something happaens in TM, It is there until the end of the game...ie, craters, mounds, burms

------------------
UGotDaNuke

IP:

coaxs
posted September 21, 2002 08:17 PM            
Sage: check the tude at the the General forum no need for it here. This is a learning environment.

Jeff: To be honest I'm not 100% sure, but to the best of my knowledge "the wall" mod does not have a timetolive parameter. Meaning when ever a crater or dirt is made it is a permanent addition to the map. Timetolive is usually meant for missles and the such, dealing with how long for it to search for a target untill it self explodes.

------------------
Tread Marks Ladders

IP:

KONG
posted September 21, 2002 08:28 PM            
What I just said

------------------
UGotDaNuke

IP:

KONG
posted September 21, 2002 08:29 PM            
SPAMMER

------------------
UGotDaNuke

IP:

Vlad
posted September 21, 2002 10:38 PM            
Ok, everybody, here's the deal.

While I've never used the wall weapon, here's what it sounds like it does...

A projectile travels in a straight line, leaving a trail of tall mounds behind it, creating a wall. In this case, the timetolive affects the LENGTH of the wall. The longer the projectile lives, the further it goes, thus the longer the wall is.

The HEIGHT of the wall is determined by how high the modder determined the craters should be.

The height and length are independant from each other.

Jeff: It's all up to the person who made the mod to determine how long it goes. Let's say that that a map has a width of X. A modder can try to limit the repeating of the wall by setting it so that after it's fired, the distance of the wall is X/2. The problem is direction. If the user is near the edge of the map, and fires it off the edge, then it will go off in that direction, and it will be a solid wall, but that also means that an identical wall will be created on the opposite side of the map. However, the projectile's distance of X/2 guarantees that the wall won't extend further than half the map's span.

Now, as for the actual weapon, you can always mess around with the files yourself. It's a great way of learning. And if you've got a comment on the weapon, check the readme, see who made it, and email em. Us modders always like hearing that anybody's even TRIED our work.

IP:

JVortex
posted September 22, 2002 03:27 AM            
mass confusion leads again to mass frusteration, lol

wow, im seeing weapon names in here i hadnt even heard of! i must really be outta the loop .

personally i agree, why does X weapon have to have such a large effect on the landscape? it normally tends to cause more harm than its worth. normally the main answer is simply that it looks cool/ impressive. lots of times weapons like that will cause problems on servers and slower machines since its a lot of deformation for the comp to keep up with.

im a member of the same school as Vlad (and a few others here). "when making a mod put so much effort into it that you minimize lag/ bogging to almost nothing or less with still managing to have an impressive weapon thats fun to use and has a dazzling visual display."

unfortunately however such a creed tends to take a 30 minute mod and turn it into a 2 day task. very few (including myself lately) has the time to do such a thing .
(man i miss the good old days!)

------------------
Let the rocks roll and the battle commence. http://www.bzrpg.2ya.com .
Check out the site! Loads of Tread Marks support and AddOns. Home of the S.T.O.R.M Pack.
The Storm has arived!!

[This message has been edited by JVortex (edited September 22, 2002).]

IP:

Jeff/Lightning4
posted September 22, 2002 04:42 PM            
YES! That is what I meant. A shorter, smaller wall would help greatly. Now heres another thing. Is there a way to modify how often a weapon appears at a powerup joint? Apparently some weapons are more common than others, especially the GWoC. Ive rarely ever seen the 'Le Bomb Nuclear' now that I have added nearly every weapon in existance to Tread Marks. From experimenting, the most common is 'Mosquito Cage', a useful swarm of mosquitos that fire in bursts of 20.

IP:

This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2