First you need Terragen .

Set up your display perameters in Terragen as follows:
- 3 colors on the Atmosphere panel
- Sun color on the first tab of the Sun panel
- Sun corona settings on the 3rd tab of the Sun panel
- Cloud data on the Cloud panel

Then you need to set your rendering perameters:
On the Render panel
- Turn off ground rendering (unless for some reason you want mountains on your skybox)
- First you want to do test renders with the detail slider at 50%
Now for final render data:
- LDA uses 512x512 images. TM can handle larger, but not all video cards like running at a decent frame rate with larger.
- Set the Detail Slider to 100% (right) and make sure Land is not checked...unless you want land rendered.
- Select the Settings button (under Render). Set the accuracy to max. Set the Anti-aliasing with all check boxes checked (to save render time, leave Ultra unchecked). You shouldn't need to change any of the other tabs. Don't set the memory too high (leave at 20mbs) or else you can't tell what its doing until its finished!
- Select the Camera Settings button. Under here set the Photographic method you want (it changes the color schemes on render so play with until you get what you want). Same with exposure - play with it until you like it. Set Zoom to 1.0.

Now for the more interesting part, the script I've made up for this:

code:

initanim,"c:\tread marks\render\pic0",1
;front
campos,0,0,0
zoom,1
camb,0
camp,0
camh,0
frend
;right
campos,0,0,0
zoom,1
camb,0
camp,0
camh,90
frend
;back
campos,0,0,0
zoom,1
camb,0
camp,0
camh,180
frend
;left
campos,0,0,0
zoom,1
camb,0
camp,0
camh,270
frend
;up
campos,0,0,0
zoom,1
camb,0
camp,90
camh,0
frend

Ok...lets explain what this does:

initanim,"c:\tread marks\render\pic0",1
This initiallizes the rendering settings. What is says is that you are saving this image to c:\tread marks\render with the file name pic0000n.bmp where n starts at 1 for the first frame and counts up.

The rest tell it how to do the various angles of the skybox.

I believe I have the names of the directions correct above each one, so, assuming I didn't make a mistake, the frame numbers correspond to direction as follows:
1: front
2: right
3: bottom
4: left
5: up
(I may have gotten right and left swapped though)

Now, how to run this script in Terragen:
First, save the script as somename.tgs into the Terragen dir (you can put it anywhere actually). Then run it by the menu Terragen > Execute Script

This will automatically render the whole image.

Render times in Terragen depend both on your CPU and on your graphics card. They can take anywhere from 5 minutes to several hours for the same resolution and image based entirely on system specs. This little script allows you to let them render overnight

--Random Chaos

P.S. - I purposely didn't go detailed on the setting up the visual effects of the skybox...play to learn. Go here for details of how the panels work.

[This message has been edited by Random Chaos (edited September 05, 2002).]

[This message has been edited by Random Chaos (edited September 05, 2002).]

IP: