|
Author Topic:   scrolling text
Jim Nasium
posted July 08, 2002 03:16 PM            
I already know if ya hit the tab button the scrolling text ya see at the bottom of your screen will go away for awhile, but it always comes back.... I really don't care who killed who with what when I am sitting at home alone playing the game by my self against 99 other tanks and wonder if anyone knows how I can get rid of the scrolling text that I see though out the game, each and every game... I'm sure you know which scrolling text I am talking about but in case you don't, it's the text, that tells ya stuff that keeps on scrolling at the bottom of the screen each game...

Is there a file or something I can take out of a folder, or suib folder somewhere in the Tread Marks folder to put an end to the scrolling text?
thank you
Jim Nasium www.gymart.com

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted July 08, 2002 09:58 PM            
ive never seen any scrolling text in tm - anyone else have a clue ?

IP:

Sailor
Administrator
posted July 08, 2002 10:16 PM            
He means the messages that tell you who killed who. Also the chat that scrolls through, although in SPM I am sure he is not chatting with the AI's. LOL

------------------
May you always have a following Sea and the comfort of those you hold nearest to your heart.
TreadMaps

[This message has been edited by Sailor (edited July 08, 2002).]

IP:

Rex R
posted July 09, 2002 01:36 AM            
think that might be handled by the sabot file if so then you can't change it for multiplayer (server sets that)

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted July 09, 2002 08:30 AM            
Oh if you want rid of the text just rename the font files....

IP:

Jim Nasium
posted July 09, 2002 08:54 AM            

re:
Oh if you want rid of the text just rename the font files....

=> what folder is the font files in?
In my tread markd folder I've got, add on, Art, Entites, Local, Maps, Objcts, Scores, and Sound folders, befor I go and explore each folder and all of it's sub folders, could ya just give me the correct path to the fonts file please?
And..
Let me be sure I got this right, you're telling me to rename the file, not delete it, right?
THANK YOU

IP:

Jim Nasium
posted July 09, 2002 09:06 AM            

I just found a fonts flder in
C:\Program Files\Tread Marks 1.5\art\Fonts

Is that the folder you're talking about, because there are only three font files in that folder, and they are all.bmps!! now I am totally confused... why would a font file have a .bmp file extension?

next

can someone explain [to me] what this folder is all about? Letters?
C:\Program Files\Tread Marks 1.5\objects\Letters

and
I went and downloaded the LithUnwrap software one'a you's guys wrote about yesterday, and it seems like the software won't support the file type that the tanks are saved in... is there a way to open a tank file from TM's in LithUnwrap so I can add new skins to it, then save it, then race it in TM?

and

do I ask too many questions?
jn www.gymart.com

IP:

Rex R
posted July 09, 2002 01:20 PM            
which version Lithunwrap did you get? version 1.3 works quite nicely

IP:

Jim Nasium
posted July 09, 2002 05:29 PM            
re:
which version Lithunwrap did you get? version 1.3 works quite nicely

==> yes, I downloaded version 1.3 but can't seem to open up a tank in it.. I've tried import, and open/new, but for some reason it tells me the file format isn't supported...

Can I ask you to tell me please how YOU'D go about opening up a tank in the tread marks folder, in Lithunwrap 1.3 please and if I can use my art, in a .jpg file format as a skin... will Lithunwrap support .jpg files or do I have to change my art to another file format first?

I suppose I could sit and read the help files, but if you could [at least] get me headed in the right direction [please] I'd love to give the tanks in my copy of Tread Marks GymArt skins...
thank you

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted July 09, 2002 10:15 PM            
"I just found a fonts flder in
Is that the folder you're talking about"

~~~ Yup...

because there are only three font files in that folder, and they are all.bmps!!

~~~ Thats right.

now I am totally confused... why would a font file have a .bmp file extension?

~~~ A throw back to amiga days when fonts were created on bitmaps. Essentially theres 2 kinds - single bitplane, which is known as a font mask - this allows text to flow over an image, block the image out appart from where the text is : ie, the pic shows thru the text, the rest of the screen is black. The other is a multi bitplane art style font, these consist of artistic designs for each character which is good because it is far more flexibe than traditional truetype. The fonts themselves in tm are called FontMaps; essentially the same thing - bitmapped font sets.

next

"can someone explain [to me] what this folder is all about? Letters?
C:\Program Files\Tread Marks 1.5\objects\Letters"

~~~ Just letters in 3d format, lwo is the native 3d file format for the treadmarks engine.

and

"I went and downloaded the LithUnwrap software one'a you's guys wrote about yesterday, and it seems like the software won't support the file type that the tanks are saved in... is there a way to open a tank file from TM's in LithUnwrap so I can add new skins to it, then save it, then race it in TM?"

~~~ Import.

and

"do I ask too many questions?"

~~~ Nope, thats how we learn and share information.

IP:

BamZipPow
posted July 09, 2002 10:44 PM            
Welcome to the forums and the game, Jim!

With LithUnwrap 1.3, you need to import Lightwave 5.6 LWO files. The tank models consists of a barrel, turret, and body. The minimum it has to be is a turret/barrel combo and the body. As 5.6 LWO files don't contain UV coordinates, a LUV file does the mapping. Liquid tanks don't have LUV files, but steel tanks do. With LithUnwrap 1.3, you can map the coordinates just about any way you like...by vertex, face, group, or material.

To open one of the models, locate the model in the objects directory. We can work with Tank25 (Dwarf). You may find multiple files in the directory. You want the files that end with the letter "T". I suspect that means it's been textured. The high, med, low designations indicate the poly count. Import the barrel, body, and turret into LithUnwrap 1.3. It should bring in the same named LUV file automatically. This will give you some idea of how to import a tank into LithUnwrap 1.3.

As far as I can tell, jpeg files are not supported by the game. Only BMP file formats are.

IP:

Rex R
posted July 10, 2002 02:25 AM            
right .bmp files are the only format allowed. with tanks and most weapons they can be 24bit(256 x 256 & 512 x 512 sizes) flags and sprites must be 8bit( 256 color) the main thing you will be working with in reskinning tanks will be the templates generated by Lithunwrap(sorta paint by number deal) you should not have to fiddle about with making new .luv files for stock tanks.
speaking of template files...BZP I have a program that can generate them from the .prm files if you're interested

IP:

Jim Nasium
posted July 10, 2002 08:41 AM            

re: "I just found a fonts folder in
Is that the folder you're talking about"
~~~ Yup...
there are only three font files in that folder, and they are all.bmps!!
~~~ Thats right.
now I am totally confused... why would a font file have a .bmp file extension?
~~~ A throw back to amiga days when fonts were created on bitmaps. Essentially theres 2 kinds <snip> The fonts themselves in tm are called FontMaps; essentially the same thing - bitmapped font sets.

=> OK
thank you for all the above information!!
Please, bear with me and let me be sure I got this right... You're telling me to go into the subfolder
and rename the three font files. right?

Once I rename the fonts the scrolling text that tells me who killed who and what MP3 is playing will stop scrolling on my screen when I am playing a game of TM... is that correct?

I just want to be sure before I go and screw the game up...

I've been playing this game for a few years now and I gott'a tell ya of all the games I do play, this one game [Tread Marks] is the one game that keeps me wanting more and more and more... It's never the same game twice, if ya know what I mean: after a few laps the battle ground/race course is so messed up from the bombs, rockets, and nukes that I can honestly say that this game is NEVER the same game twice and that's what keeps me going back for more and more..

I think I've gotten pretty good at driving the tank, and that sucker really flies in my machine [a P4 2000 with 1000 MB's of RAM] and I am seriously thinking of joining you's guys on line in a game sometime soon, as soon as I can figure out how to connect to that server...

I want to thank you all for your informative answers, and all the help ya given me and would like to ask one more question

In a few other games I play, like Need For Speed and MidTown Maddness2 the cars have a rear view mirror, how tuff would it be to add that feature to the tanks in Tread Marks?

man what I wouldn't give for a rear view mirrow in my GymArt tank [once I get the GymArt tank built. Anyone have any feed back on putting a rear view mirror in the tanks??
Thanks Guys
Jim Nasium

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted July 10, 2002 09:26 AM            
".bmp files are the only format allowed"
~~~ not true m8, if you check the tree folder you will find multi frame .IMG files.

You're telling me to go into the subfolder
and rename the three font files. right?
~~ well theres several ways to approach it, what you have to bear in mind as tha the fonts are an integral part of the game and are used for menu's sub menus, even the opening main menu - so if ya wipe em out ya left guessing where ya click - you have been warned.

You can rename them, or just load em into a paint package (any will do) and paint em all black then save em back.... TM uses a bmp technique called "magic black" - basicly the black is transparrent, so if you make sumthin in tm thats black.... its see thru.

Once I rename the fonts the scrolling text that tells me who killed who and what MP3 is playing will stop scrolling on my screen when I am playing a game of TM... is that correct?
~~~ Who can say, ive never tried it myself, i know kevlar did to make the DDM movies, perhaps one of them would be better to help on this topic, but blanking out the font files with black will certainly make em dissapear yes.

I just want to be sure before I go and screw the game up...
~~~ Np, just back up the files b4 u do anything, then at least you can go back.

I've been playing this game for a few years now and I gott'a tell ya of all the games I do play, this one game [Tread Marks] is the one game that keeps me wanting more and more and more... It's never the same game twice, if ya know what I mean: after a few laps the battle ground/race course is so messed up from the bombs, rockets, and nukes that I can honestly say that this game is NEVER the same game twice and that's what keeps me going back for more and more..
~~~ hehehe. a few years huh, what version did you join with.

I think I've gotten pretty good at driving the tank, and that sucker really flies in my machine [a P4 2000 with 1000 MB's of RAM] and I am seriously thinking of joining you's guys on line in a game sometime soon, as soon as I can figure out how to connect to that server...
~~~ if youre running a firewall, make sure, tm.exe / treadmarks.exe are allowed udp and tcp to any computer any port, then when you get to the server list, you will need to add the ip of each server without its port number - if you dont, when you try and join a server it will time out on you.

I want to thank you all for your informative answers, and all the help ya given me and would like to ask one more question
~~~ Ya welcome.

In a few other games I play, like Need For Speed and MidTown Maddness2 the cars have a rear view mirror, how tuff would it be to add that feature to the tanks in Tread Marks?
~~~ Tuff..... it is on the suggested list, but not sumthing that can be modded because theres no tank internal view as yet and no way to do a reflective surface to cheat the game into making one via a mod.

man what I wouldn't give for a rear view mirrow in my GymArt tank [once I get the GymArt tank built. Anyone have any feed back on putting a rear view mirror in the tanks??

Thanks Guys
Jim Nasium

~~~ Not possible just yet, but as i said, ill be sending that in with the next batch of suggested improvements.

IP:

Rex R
posted July 10, 2002 12:24 PM            
.img files are just a number of bmp files joined together to make an 'animated' texture of sorts, considering how they are used(leaves,fire effects) I would imagine they are 8bit bmps

IP:

BamZipPow
posted July 10, 2002 12:34 PM            
Jim,

This is the post that might help you with yer quest:
/forums/archive/ubb/Forum9/HTML/000336.html

IP: