|
Author Topic:   Skymaps
Random Chaos
posted June 03, 2002 04:27 PM            
I'm looking for someone (only ONE person) who can render skymaps for maps I'm making for the GROPOS mod. LDA used Lightwave when they made their skymaps. I have no tool (otherwise I'd make them myself). I have a whole batch of maps to get skymaps made for and, lacking anything to do it with, I'm rather stuck.

If you can help me with it, give me an e-mail at randomc@treadmarks.cjb.net or message me on ICQ/AIM (ICQ: 65266929, AIM: RandChaosTC).

Thanks!

(yeah, you'll get credit with the GROPOS project for this help )

P.S. - I can easily make planets to put on the skymaps, I just can't make the sky!

IP:

Sailor
Administrator
posted June 03, 2002 05:31 PM            
Give me a holler on ICQ or AIM I have something that might do what you want. Or I will holler at you.

------------------
May you always have a following Sea and the comfort of those you hold nearest to your heart.
TMMaps

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted June 03, 2002 09:14 PM            
Have you tries the UNIVERSE Program on DMF ? thats awesome for rendering skys, the photoshop plugin GLITTERATO is good too - i have the lot - just let me know what u need.

IP:

Random Chaos
posted June 04, 2002 10:28 AM            
Sailor got me what I needed...the camera perameters for Terragen for rendering skyboxes...

I'll check out that Universe prog though also...I have Glittero.

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted June 04, 2002 10:41 AM            
sailor, you should send that over, and do a feature for dmf - followed by the link to your site - perhaps we could hold a skybox competition like they do in quake - maybe even host skymaps - what ya think ? .

IP:

Random Chaos
posted June 04, 2002 10:53 AM            
Matrix - here's the info:

This is the best site I've seen of the ones he gave me on skybox creation: http://www.claudec.com/lair_of_shaders/tutorials/terragen_lloyd_m/terragen_lloyd_m.sht ml

The specs from it are:

quote:
WHEN YOU ARE NOW READY TO RENDER

Go to SETTINGS in the RENDERING CONTROL window.
The RENDER SETTINGS window appears.

Don't touch gamma unless you specifically want to, but when you are ready to do the final render slide the ATMOSPHERE and CLOUD SHADING ACCURACY sliders to HIGH. Render times will now drastically increase even in the little preview window.

Click CLOSE. MAKE SURE DETAIL (just under the preview window) is all the way to the right (i.e. MAX).

Now look at the CAMERA settings. First place the camera and target where you want them by LEFT clicking in the little topdown picture of your terrain for CAMERA and RIGHT clicking for TARGET. The target will be changed manually though in a moment for skyboxes. Basically you want the camera near the middle so left click in the middle of the little terrain window.

Now set the ZOOM / MAGNIFICATION in CAMERA SETTINGS to 1. It defaults to 1.414 which will cause the images not to line up correctly.

GO TO WORLD FILE TO SAVE WORLD

Now, for the skybox,

* SET PITCH = 0, HEAD = 0
* PRESS RENDER IMAGE then save the image as QUAKE3/BASEQ3/ENV/YOURMAPNAME/yourmapnamesky_ft.jpg
* SET PITCH = 0, HEAD = 90
* PRESS RENDER IMAGE then save the image as QUAKE3/BASEQ3/ENV/YOURMAPNAME/yourmapnamesky_lf.jpg
* SET PITCH = 0, HEAD = 180
* PRESS RENDER IMAGE then save the image as QUAKE3/BASEQ3/ENV/YOURMAPNAME/yourmapnamesky_bk.jpg
* SET PITCH = 0, HEAD = 270
* PRESS RENDER IMAGE then save the image as QUAKE3/BASEQ3/ENV/YOURMAPNAME/yourmapnamesky_rt.jpg
* SET PITCH = -90, HEAD = 270
* PRESS RENDER IMAGE then save the image as QUAKE3/BASEQ3/ENV/YOURMAPNAME/yourmapnamesky_dn.jpg
* SET PITCH = 90, HEAD = 270
* PRESS RENDER IMAGE then save the image as QUAKE3/BASEQ3/ENV/YOURMAPNAME/yourmapnamesky_up.jpg

I assume you know where to get Terragen?

[This message has been edited by Random Chaos (edited June 04, 2002).]

IP:

Sailor
Administrator
posted June 04, 2002 12:43 PM            
Those are some good tutorials on building skyboxes and RC is right that is the best of the ones I found. I have used it to build a skybox for one of my maps and it looks pretty good. Matrix if you want to do a skybox competition go for it. You can build all kinds with Terragen and if you need starfields I have a utility called Starbox that will build all the sides and save them at one time. You can then edit them and add in planets or other things with a program like Paint Shop Pro (using the Cosmos paint tube) or whatever you like. I did that for another map. If you want a copy of Starbox to host on DMF then I can get it to you. It is freeware and a nice program with several controls settings for making different starfield looks.

------------------
May you always have a following Sea and the comfort of those you hold nearest to your heart.
TMMaps

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted June 04, 2002 12:50 PM            
Sounds hunj-dory to me fellas i usually make a plane in photoshop 1x4 wide which fades at the top and an edge faded top, but if we can get effects as good as the pinnacle skybox im all for it - lob the files over duder, and yes i have terragen i just never use it lol

IP:

Sailor
Administrator
posted June 04, 2002 11:33 PM            
I sent the Skybox starfield generation program to your email address in your profile. Hope you like it.

------------------
TMMaps

IP:

Random Chaos
posted June 05, 2002 01:53 AM            
Ok...here is the angles for TM use of Terragen:

Pitch, Head, Bank, File Name end
0, 0, 0, __Front
90, 0, 0, __Right
180, 0, 0, __Back
270, 0, 0, __Left
0, 90, 0, __Up

NOTE: The UP version differs from the above example tutorial. I think I got this right...if not its 180, 90, 0 becuase it was off by 90* on the renders I did.

----------------

Here are screenshots on the ones I did. All shots taken on GROPOS maps, however not all maps will be using the above skymaps. I haven't made the maps for them all yet...

--RC

[This message has been edited by Random Chaos (edited June 05, 2002).]

IP:

Sailor
Administrator
posted June 05, 2002 10:10 AM            
Those look great RC. Glad that worked out for you. If I can help in any other way let me know.

------------------
TMMaps

IP:

Sailor
Administrator
posted June 12, 2002 09:02 PM            
One modification to your points on how to setup the angles in Terragen for the skymap shots. Instead of Pitch, Head, Bank It should look like the following:

Head, Pitch, Bank
0, 0, 0 save as: filename__front
90, 0, 0 save as: filename__right
180, 0, 0 save as: filename__back
270, 0, 0 save as: filename__left
0, 90, 0 save as: filename__up

All shots should be 512x512 typically and saved as .bmp files.

------------------
TMMaps

IP: