|
Author Topic:   flags
[AoD] Ban Sach
posted May 20, 2002 03:20 AM            
ok when i save an ent file for the bmp flag i made it saves it as ex: bansach.ent.txt anyone know what to do about this? it will not save it as a ent file it keeps saving it as a txt file grrrrr suggestions are welcome

Ban Sach

IP:

Rex R
posted May 20, 2002 03:36 AM            
er ah rename from my computer, alternatively you could try putting the name in quotes; "myflag.ent" (I have to do this when saving bmp files as .bmq (for revolt))
just out of curiosity which program are you using for your editing? I've been using notepad and up to now it has not done this

[This message has been edited by Rex R (edited May 20, 2002).]

IP:

Rex R
posted May 20, 2002 03:45 AM            
if all else fails you could mail me the file and I can rename it fer you (addy is in my profile)

IP:

Kevlar
posted May 20, 2002 07:30 AM            
The quotes thing will work.

It's a good idea to uncheck
"Hide file extensions for known type"

That way you can rename a file when you need to.

My Computer
Tools (On the menu)
Folder Options
View (Tab)
Uncheck "Hide file extensions for known type"

------------------
TM-Central

IP:

JVortex
posted May 21, 2002 07:48 AM            
i ran into that problem at some point too, dont remember with what program it was tho (but man did that grate me the wrong way!). its because the "save as type" (or whatever it says) drop down box (the one under where you type your file name) was selected to text files. so the program automatically added the .txt extension on the end of it even tho u put your own extenion there (daft computers anyways).

heres a suggustion tho on what to do differently:
firstly get a different text editor (not being a smart a$$, you really should). note pad WILL work just fine and some people even prefer it to other programs, but for ease of use, especially when youre just learning to mod, i wouldnt recommend it. get something else.
(Vlad is one of these Notepad-ders, he can build 20+ ent file mods in notepad (last i knew anyway). he da man. i think he made the Shadow Summoner with its 60 or so ent files with Notepad! talk about brain strain . when i was working on the Tornado and its 70+ files i couldnt have imagined doing it with just notepad! talk about some organizational skills Vlad!)

a couple handy text editors are:
1) UltraEdit - this one is really nice and full featured. it does way more than youll ever need for modding TM, but has some great features to it (dont worry, for the features youd need to learn its not a steep learning curve, way easy). its not free however. its best features (i think) are its tabbed interface, project file generation and built in search/ replace options. a tabbed interface is WONDERFUL for large mod projects consisting of more than like 4 ent files. it lets you have them all open at once in a nice lay out. the project file generation will take all your designated files (all the ones related to your mod) and save a file w/ their info. when you want to work on your mod again u just open the project file and ALL your ent files are opened up for you w/ one click, nice. aside from that, ENTegerety has project file support .

2) FastEdit - this is one i ran across a few years ago and found a new use for when i started modding TM. it attaches itself to your context menu and will by default open any unknown/ unassociated file type into notepad when you double click it. great for ent files, cfg files dat files and so on (for obvious reasons dont try and use this on huge files! lol). when saving just close the window (and hit yes) or hit save or what have you. (and great for getting rid of that stupid "open with" dialogue box...)

3) MetaPad - BZP i think it was found this one. it makes a great replacement for windows standard notepad. it does everything notepad does but better and then some. the easiest way to use this is to just plain replace notepad with it. go into your C:\WINDOWS directory and look for "Notepad.exe" and rename it to "Notepad.BAK.exe" (or delete it ). Then drop the MetaPad.exe into your windows directory and rename it to "Notepad.exe". now whenever windows wants to launch notepad it fires up metapad instead. works slick as snot.

4) X-Find - this one really isnt a necessity, but its rather handy. its a small free prog that is designed to search for files of a specific name or search within them for a text string. its the searching within thats handy. if for example youre making a tracking weapon but you cant recall all the params needed to make it track right or about where to set them for what you want you can point it to wherever in your TM directory you need (like the stock entities folder) and look for "guide" within the files. then select one of them at random and check the stats. then compare it to another in the list so you know how to set your numbers (like comparing a cruise missile to a wasp). all in all it has its uses.

the use of FastEdit and MetaPad together can make your modding life a lot easier. for complex mods that use like 12+ ent files youre a lot better off finding a tabed interface program so you can have em all open at once and not cluttering up your screen. i dont know what the best free tabed text editor would be tho.

so there ya be, another "long winded post by JV"

(been a while huh?, lol)

------------------
Let the rocks roll and the battle commence. www.bzrpg.com .
Check out the site! Loads of Tread Marks support and AddOns. Home of the S.T.O.R.M Pack.
The Storm has arived!!

[This message has been edited by JVortex (edited May 21, 2002).]

IP:

kv
posted May 21, 2002 09:41 AM            
just register the file type, then it won't change the name.

find an ent,
hold down control and right click on it,
select "open with..",
select notepad from the list and check the "always use this program" box.

now you can double click any ent file and it will open in notepad automatically, and you can save it without having the file type changed by windows.

IP:

Kevlar
posted May 21, 2002 10:18 AM            
That's actually what that FastEdit program does above, it's not a text editor at all, it will open any unregistered file type with notepad. In case someone is worried about manually messing with unregistered file types extensions. It's in the freeware area at TM-Central

EDIT: http://www.tm-central.com/software/software.htm

------------------
TM-Central

[This message has been edited by Kevlar (edited May 21, 2002).]

IP: