|
Author Topic:   Maximum pollies TM can handle...
BamZipPow
posted May 15, 2002 08:51 PM            
Does anyone know the max number of pollies the TM engine can handle at any given time?

I'm going through and documenting all the pollies for the maps, tanks, weapons, and spewers. Has anyone else tried doing this? Trying to get a handle at what point the game becomes laggy. Could be an ideal way to check a map for the max number of players or the type of tanks/weapons it will support...

IP:

Sailor
Administrator
posted May 15, 2002 11:31 PM            
I think you were born a techie and are only finding it out now - LOL Good question and quest. Good luck I have never even looked at the pollie count of any of the maps I have created.

------------------
May you always have a following Sea and the comfort of those you hold nearest to your heart.
TMMaps

[This message has been edited by Sailor (edited May 16, 2002).]

IP:

JVortex
posted May 16, 2002 12:21 AM            
thats a pretty relative question for the most part. the maximum anything that TM can handle is based on everything else going on (and of course the power of the comp running it). a small 500 x 500 map for example could run higher polly tanks and have intense sprite activity going on. but a normal map would have to have lower polly tanks on it. a normal map w/ a lot of terrain variations to it cant really have as much action going on on it. blah blah blah....

chances are that there would be some way to designate a numeric score to various different environmental things in TM, but it would make for a hell of a task. the idea was brought up to do such a thing a while back, but once it was seen just how much troubble it would be no one ever did it .

------------------
Let the rocks roll and the battle commence. www.bzrpg.com .
Check out the site! Loads of Tread Marks support and AddOns. Home of the S.T.O.R.M Pack.
The Storm has arived!! :)

IP:

KiLlEr
posted May 16, 2002 12:36 AM            
Don't forget that this value is relative to the type of video card. a card that has full poly set up in hardware will handle significantly more polys than one that dosn't. Also, memory bandwith and size (and type) of video ram has an impact as well. More memory means less swapping of textures to and from system memory.

IP:

Rex R
posted May 16, 2002 04:40 AM            
it was suggested a while back that UV mapped tanks should be in the 500-800 poly range so (gets out a calculator) figure around 13.5k pollies for the tanks max (22 tanks) for internet play, that will give us a start.

IP:

BamZipPow
posted May 16, 2002 06:26 AM            
So far the highest poly count tank is...

Fury @ 3432 points and 6839 faces!!!
Bonaparte @ 2634 points and 5369 faces!!
Baneblade @ 2286 points and 3797 faces!

Lowest poly count tank is...

Black Widow @ 66 points and 110 faces.

Still going through all of the tanks/turrets/barrels. Hope to have more info by the weekend.

IP:

Vlad
posted May 16, 2002 08:48 AM            
quote:
I'm going through and documenting all the pollies for the maps, tanks, weapons, and spewers. Has anyone else tried doing this? Trying to get a handle at what point the game becomes laggy.

Not only is it VERY dependant on the system's configuration, the number of polygons and sprites being displayed by the engine has nothing to do with online lag (if that's what you're referring to). If you made a weapon that shot 50 sprite-based projectiles at once, it would contribute the same amount of lag that a weapon that shot 50 high-poly mesh-based projectiles.

IP:

Random Chaos
posted May 16, 2002 01:09 PM            
LOL...black widow came in lowest...hehe

IP:

KiLlEr
posted May 16, 2002 01:23 PM            
Incedentally, a LWO version 5 file can only store objects with up to 65,536 polygons.

IP:

BamZipPow
posted May 16, 2002 03:11 PM            
Vlad,

So it won't make any difference of what I'm shooting for? Heck, if that's the case, then this is a moot project. I'm glad someone told me sooner before I started all the way down this path!

So the lag only comes from the user's machine/connection?

I figured that if the TM engine could only send so much updated poly data at a time depending on the connection rate, keeping them within a certain range would help make the online gaming a bit better. That would include the number of pollies the map, weapons, tanks, and spewers were and what the engine had to keep up with.

IP:

Vlad
posted May 16, 2002 04:12 PM            
No online game handles stuff like that, really.

The server doesn't send poly information to the clients at all. It doesn't need to. All it tells the client is stuff like "there's a nuke at these coordinates, X tank is going this direction, etc". Since a Nuke is going to look exactly the same on every user's system, there's no need for the server to say "a nuke is at x,y,z, and it looks like this..." The client interprets the data that the server sends and displays stuff in the user's screen accordingly.

IP:

peeeto
posted May 16, 2002 05:11 PM         
yup - but you're kinda on the right track in terms of items that the server has to send/receive info. on, BZP... for instance if a bizillion Wasps are being fired at the same time, things will slow down.

for things where it's not important that everyone see the same EXACT thing (like special effects from weapons, projectiles, etc.), i think there's an ENT setting to not synch server/clients - do you remember what the setting is, Vlad?

IP:

BamZipPow
posted May 16, 2002 05:26 PM            
I think it's Transitory = 0

IP: