|
Author Topic:   3D Text as a mesh...
BamZipPow
posted May 10, 2002 02:16 AM            
Wow! Finally found a way to put 3D text on the map as a mesh without a whole lot of trouble. Okay, I guess I'm the only one who's happy--so big deal, eh?

So now I can add any text literally to the map!! And sign it, too!!

IP:

Rex R
posted May 10, 2002 02:24 AM            
heh. kinda fun is it not. I've used anim8er to create 3d text meshes( from various True type fonts) one could I supose make a tank out of one's name... could be rather high on the poly count though

IP:

BamZipPow
posted May 10, 2002 02:47 AM            
I'm using the (old) program called TruSpace 1.0. It does 3D as well...but all I want to use it for is just the text. It does other things but I don't need it for that. Comparing the 2, Anim8tor seems to do it much easier. TruSpace seems to make it with less pollies...about half as many. Cool either way...

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted May 10, 2002 03:33 AM            
There should really be a class for people who like to teach all the new things they learn. I wish, I knew what half the stuff you guys are saying. Could meet once every 2 weeks tell us what program we need to download and where, and teach us some really cool stuff for like an hour. It could work over the TM chat client. Any takers?

------------------
Tread Marks Ladders

IP:

Rex R
posted May 10, 2002 05:03 AM            
heheh ok a short definition of terms.
mesh = 3d object so call because they look like they are made of mesh
poly/pollies = polygon(s), in this case triangles
one of the simplest objects, a cube has 6 sides. each face/side is subdivided diagonally into 2 triangles for a total of 12 faces/pollies/triangles.
texture mapping = assigning a texture to each face.
tru-space, anim8or, lightwave, milkshape, 3d studio max = programs that generate 3d objects.
(there, think that covers most everything in this thread)

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted May 10, 2002 08:11 PM            
I thought truespace was NURBS based, if so you will get many hunderds of extraneous double sided polys.

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted May 11, 2002 10:58 PM            
I just checked out the specs on Truespace 5 - apparently it includes a poly reduction tool - could be fun

IP: