|
Author Topic:   256 Greyscale GIMP file for you...
BamZipPow
posted March 27, 2002 03:08 AM            
Got frustrated that there wasn't a 256 grayscale map for GIMP that I could find...so I made one. It was really easy as the palettes are defined by text. So I just slapped one together and thought I'd share it with the rest of you.

If anyone else wants it, ICQ/email/AIM me and I'll send it off to you. It's about 4k in size (text with no extension).

When you do get it, you need to drop it in the following directory (this is the default directory for Gimp):

C:\Program Files\GIMP\share\gimp\1.2\gimp-1.2.(network login name at install)\pallettes\

There seems to be 2 palette directories--a master one and a user one. Obviously you want to drop it into the user one.

Oh, if anyone wants to put it up on their site, go for it.

Just as a side note, has anyone put together any user tools or a simple step-by-step tutorials for making maps? I've been scouring the various boards for awhile now and haven't found much to work with. I'm looking for those special tips on things to avoid or even tricks to make things easier. Thanks!

[This message has been edited by BamZipPow (edited March 27, 2002).]

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted March 27, 2002 03:41 AM            
send me the zip m8 ill host it for ya

IP:

Random Chaos
posted March 27, 2002 08:18 AM            
I can make up step by step stuff on it. My site is rather unused, even by me - so I'd have to find someone else to host it as part of their site (maybe linked from TMMAPS.tripod.com?).

IP:

Sailor
Administrator
posted March 27, 2002 10:25 AM            
That sounds good RC. If you put it together I can put it on the TMMaps site or point to where it is stored. Love to have resources available for everyone and your knowledge base on maps would make a great tutorial.

------------------
May you always have a following Sea and the comfort of those you hold nearest to your heart.

IP:

wolfman
posted March 27, 2002 10:53 AM            
Thought this might be what you are looking for: I believe Kong did this http://tmkong.tripod.com/tmk/heightmaps.htm
Simple step by step - have not had a chance to download Gimp and give it a shot yet. It is on the list though

IP:

KONG
posted March 27, 2002 09:18 PM            
http://tmkong.tripod.com/tmk/heightmaps.htm

i would like to expand that tuttorial. any input, info or help would be appreciated.

I have started a thread on this here http://kongtm.netfirms.com/cgi-bin/x-forum.cgi

thanks

IP:

BamZipPow
posted March 28, 2002 02:13 AM            
Okay...now that I've built this grayscale map, I'd like to find some technical answers.

Does anyone here know what the distance scale is between the grayscales?

Also, does the waterline stop at gray12 and the land start at gray13?

IP:

peeeto
posted March 28, 2002 02:01 PM         
(peeeto tries to remember...)

the horizontal spacing between pixels is 1 meter. the vertical spacing is 0.25 meters (in other words, the difference between gray(X) and gray(X +/- 1) is 0.25 meters).

i forget what the water height is... ask Random Chaos - he knows (or knew at one time )

also do a search for "VED file specs" on the BBS - i remember we discussed that with LDA quite a while ago...

IP:

BamZipPow
posted March 28, 2002 03:49 PM            
So...from the very bottom of the map to it's highest point would give you about 63.75 meters high and the working distance would be about 1000 meters. Hmmm....okay.

Still haven't found the post on the grayscale map relationship for the water...

IP:

BamZipPow
posted March 29, 2002 11:01 PM            
Thanks Sailor!

Looks like Sailor found the "break" between the water and the ground. He made a quick map made of strips each gray color from 0 to 25 or so. He discovered that the water ends at gray8 and the ground begins at gray9. Neato!!

BTW, I've updated the Gray_256 palette to include a text reference on the scale map. So now when you click on the color, it will tell you what that grayscale number is so you can get repetitive results. I included a grayscale that relates to the Tread Marks water/ground system (named gray_256TM)

Have fun!!

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted March 30, 2002 04:27 AM            
Umm water level is 16 bro, 18/14 if you want to avoid the FLD (flat line distortion corruption)

IP:

BamZipPow
posted March 30, 2002 07:32 PM            
Sooo...I guess you can set the water line to where ever you want just by using the sliders on TMapper?

Could you literally make TM into Waterworld then?

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted March 30, 2002 10:49 PM            
Nonono its fixed at 16 - but if you do a gradual slide between levels 18 and 14 you will get that nasty FLD effect, need steep drops at those points to make convncing non glitch landscapes.

IP:

BamZipPow
posted March 30, 2002 11:22 PM            
So where does one find the technical answer to the water? What is your reference? Just wondering because I just set a map up and the water ended up at gray8... My soccer map ground was made at gray13...so I'm puzzled now...

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted March 31, 2002 06:35 AM            
RC told me yonks ago, and it works fine like that in photoshop, but depending what prog ur using, id say go with whatever works best. 8 probably is right, but it works at 16 for me lol.

IP:

BamZipPow
posted March 31, 2002 06:57 PM            
Could you build me a map with Photoshop and make stripes with your grayscale map starting with gray0 and work your way up to 24? Are you sure you can't raise the waterline up as high as you wanted? Sigh...

Since I got my Linux box up, the Gimp grayscale palette should work in for the Linux proggie as well. I'll get that downloaded and tested to see if it works or not.

IP:

Random Chaos
posted March 31, 2002 10:20 PM            
Um...yeah...making up my quicky one. Um. Someone who uses TMapper might be best. I can do the rest though

IP:

Random Chaos
posted March 31, 2002 10:44 PM            
Technical info

As I recall from my chats with LDA in the past:
- Height 16 is what they use for terrain above water line. That is NOT waterline. The reason for this is that waterline level terrain has the following problem: Clipping errors. TM will have problems mapping the waters edge if the terrain is not sufficiently vertical.

- Height between greyscale vals: As I recall 4 K (from CYMK) is 1 metal tank height approx.

- Size of pixels: As I recall, 1 pixel is 1m. Now thats rather arbitrary given that 1m=?tank lengths. I believe about 4 = average steal tank lenght though.

---------------------

Map config strings:
MapName = Name as map will appear in Select Map display

MapType = 0:Race / 1 M/CTF / 2:Tutorial

MapID = Any integer. Make it unique, though as long as MapID + MapName are different on any 2 maps TM doesn't seem to have a problem, if BOTH MapID and MapName are the same, TM will only recognize 1 of those maps.

MaxMapTeams = Integer. Must be specified on any maps using Team specific spawn points.

EcoCrud = Sets the ecocrud entity for all ecosystems (type = crud/type. Otherwise use class/type)

EcoCrud# = Same as EcoCrud except # specifies which Ecosystem to use. Do not use the EcoCrud# and EcoCrud at the same time. Make sure every ecosystem is used when using EcoCrud# (if you have 4 terrain textures, make sure you specify EcoCrud0=, EcoCrud1=, EcoCrud2=, and EcoCrud3=)

ColorGain = R, G, B (values 0..1) - specifies the color gain of the ambient lighting (will alsoeffect the skybox coloring)
ColorBias = R, G, B (values 0..1) - same as color gain but for color bias.
ColorShift = Again...the same thing with Shift
ColorScale = Again...the same thing with Scale

StartPointEntity = (class/type), specifies the mesh (must specify mesh/type!) that represents the starting waypoint on a Race map.

PushStartPoints = Moves the startpoint on a race map to another waypoint (on a race map, number the ID Flag sequentially in the order the waypoints are to be raced - LDA uses 100 integer spacing with occasionally extra waypoints added between. PushStartPoints means that the map will not start at the lowest number but rather N waypoints sequentially higher)

scorcheco = 0..1 = effects how much weapons scorch the terrain. 0=full effect, 1=no effect.

Gravity = X, Y, Z (floating point, Y=vertical, default is 0,-10,0)

Friction = floating point (not sure what default is)

NOTE: All commands used inside the SkyBox entity CAN be used in the map config strings as far as I know. The value in the map config strings WILL override the skybox values (this is a handy way to use existing skyboxes but change a few properties for your map)

NOTE: If you want to control map start commands (set joins, tanks, etc) as the Tutorial maps do, be warned! If any 2 maps of the same map type have different settings here, TM WILL screw up its display when selecting maps and you will have to select another map type to reset it.

I'm sure I missed a few btw...

------------------------
Notes on CTF or Team maps
You MUST have at least one spawn point for ALL teams. Otherwise TM will crash on load. TM does not initialize a map with recognition of Team spawn points but adds that after the initial entity reading loop. If there is no where to place tanks after the initial entity reading loop (which there won't be without a recognized non-team spawn point), TM crashes. Its a slight annoyance sometimes on CTF maps, but easily gotten arround. Just place one point (or more then 1) half way between the flags - just so long as its placed symetrically to the flags its rarely noticed.

IP: