|
Author Topic:   Soccer Map
Paranor
posted March 26, 2002 03:15 PM            
I have a question. The *only* thing that can be annoying in this game is if you accidentally get shot or shoot someone and they can fly off the map.

Not knowing a )*$*)@* thing about modding can you:

1) make some type of object stick over the top of the canyon walls so that the tank hits that and bounces back into play
2) or have the "plasma" weapon cover the entire top of the field so again when we go sailing up into the wild blue yonder we bounch back down?

thanks

IP:

Kevlar
posted March 26, 2002 03:26 PM            
Well with an object you could accidentally bounce thru it or over it and be stuck on the other side.

And if you add a spewer to kill or bounce you back in the game, its probably only going to contribute to lag.

And actually I like filming (screen cap's) from up there. But I see your point, though.

EDIT:
---------
Sample:
King John 1st vs The Soccer Ball: http://www.tm-central.com/animation/kingjohn-n-kickme.avi

------------------
TM-Central.com

[This message has been edited by Kevlar (edited March 26, 2002).]

IP:

BamZipPow
posted March 26, 2002 03:35 PM            
Sounds like great ideas, Par.

Adding more spewers to take care of rogue tanks will really add to the lag.

Since deathwishes won't hurt your team score (as they are being tallied manually) you could do that.

Another quick solution would be to switch to the other tron tank. This will reset you back to the map and if you are spinning wildly out of control it will also set you back to normal. Mind you that this isn't a "cheat" as the whole object of the game is to put the ball in the goal. It's not much fun if you don't have a good opponent on the field of play. If you are exploring the outer limits of the map because you were hit, this would probably be the best solution for you.

The map friction was increased to 18 from 10. I could increase it to 19 or even 20 to see if that would keep you from zooming off to the wild blue yonder, but it might keep you from making those easy slip turns and pivots to get a better angle on the ball.

IP:

Random Chaos
posted March 26, 2002 04:52 PM            
By increasing the MASS of all tanks other the the soccer ball itself you can also solve this problem...but then raming the soccer ball becomes a possible strat.

IP:

BamZipPow
posted March 26, 2002 06:11 PM            
I'll give that a shot then...

Hmmm...does a mass = 100 sound okay?

Hope they will still be able to stop or climb up the wall...

IP:

A2597
posted March 26, 2002 10:47 PM            
Or, the simpelest. make the entire outside a lake of lava.

------------------
### Hi, I'm a sig virus. Please add me to the end of your signature so I can take over the world. ### - Caught from excaliber @ B5mg.com

IP:

=DNX=goku
posted March 27, 2002 08:01 AM            
i wonder who that was par lol

------------------
KameHaMeHa boom!!! you all are gone hehe

IP:

Paranor
posted March 27, 2002 08:52 PM            
hmmm - i wonder.

IP:

BamZipPow
posted March 29, 2002 06:53 PM            
Got some great responses to TM Soccer and some great suggestions. This is probably going to be a long post.

The new map is almost done and I'll be asking for volunteers to try it out. I hope to have the map available by next week.

The map is bigger and wider. Also, there's space behind the goal now...sort of similar to hockey. So now you'll be able to pass the ball behind the net. Yes, I know you can't do that in soccer...so maybe I'll call it TM Field Hockey and dress you all up like girls! Maybe I'll make a tank that looks like a puck, lower the friction of the map and start a game of ice hockey instead...

Tightened up the back of the goal so that there are no spaces anymore. Seemed like you could kick the ball through there before. I've also upped the mass on the monoliths (used for the goal) so you shouldn't be able to smack the ball through the goal or the sides of the goal as much. I know you might be able to sometimes but that's because of the collision detection of TM and can't be helped. All tanks will have their mass increased so the mass driver won't have as big of an effect if you get smacked by it (by accident of course)

The spacings/lines on the field are more accurate than before and the goals are even in size. It isn't to an exact scale of a soccer field but that's the breaks.

Still working on making a soccer ball so it will seem more authentic. Peeeto sent me some sounds for when you score the ball and I'll try to incorporate them in.

Ras, haven't found any good signs to put up. Maybe for another revision of the map in the future.

If you have ANY more suggestions, let me know before I finalize the map and post for distribution. See you on the field...

IP:

BamZipPow
posted April 13, 2002 04:45 PM            
Okay...more revisions. Maybe a soccer map AND a hockey map to boot... Pool table map being considered...

Need a favor from someone. Found a great link on how to make a soccer ball in 3D Studio Max. Only about 48 detailed steps...you could leave out the rounding steps. Could one of you PLEASE make this soccer ball and leave it low poly (somewhere around 600 pollies or so) and send it to me? The lowest poly soccer ball I've been able to find is around 2880 pollies. Might be a bit much for TM.

If you don't want to skin it, no prob. It will give me something new to learn. Thanks!!

IP:

KiLlEr
posted April 13, 2002 04:54 PM            
Hey BZP:

I found out that if you do a ServerSynch = 0 in the racetank ents only on the server, then you won't clobber the client tank list. I've played with it for a bit and there are no ill effects as the server ovverides the client's rate of fire, speed, acceleration, armor, etc. regardless of what the client says.

IP:

BamZipPow
posted April 13, 2002 05:21 PM            
Coool...will have to give that command a try then. Thanks Killer!

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted April 15, 2002 09:26 PM            
Wow,so let me get this straight. Now er can have the AI be a specific tank using the "name" entity. And now the users tank list won't be compromised using the serversynch = 0

------------------
Tread Marks Ladders

IP:

BamZipPow
posted April 16, 2002 12:17 AM            
Okay...okay. No takers so far? How about this one? I've found a 3DS Max script to make the soccer ball (and a basketball, golf ball, baseball, and a volleyball). All someone has to do is run it. PLEASE???!!! I don't have 3D Studio Max so I'm not able to make this ball.

You should be able to download this, unzip, run the script and Bam! We should have a soccer ball. That's all someone has to do..PLEASE??!!! Thanks!

[This message has been edited by BamZipPow (edited April 16, 2002).]

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted April 16, 2002 12:36 AM            
Go ahead and put the comment in the general forum. Few people venture out here. Heck, I'll do it.

------------------
Tread Marks Ladders

IP:

KiLlEr
posted April 16, 2002 09:52 AM            
Coax: Yeap. It appears to be so. I've beend messing with it for a while and so far I couldn't find a way of cheating by modifying the client tank.

BZP: I can take care of it tonight for ya, as I have Lightwave 7.

If anyone beats me to it, please use a tessalated sphere (a sphere made up of triangles). If your 3d app can't do it, then don't do it. A tessalated sphere uses significantly less polygons whle looking more round.

IP:

BamZipPow
posted April 16, 2002 11:37 PM            
Loved my surprises I got in my email! Trying them out now. They all look sweet... Real soccer balls to whap around! Cool...

Thanks to all who have sent in their balls...er, soccer ball models! I really appreciate the effort and for Mexindian for staying late at work, too!

IP:

BamZipPow
posted April 25, 2002 05:15 AM            
After dinking around with the ServerSync = 0 and the commenting out the "Name = " in the tank entity file, it won't let allow the clients to use that tank on the server. Not good.

So looks like I can't use that setup for the soccer server. The best method for clients to use a tank that the server AI isn't allowed to use is to comment out "Name = ".

IP: