|
Author Topic:   Storm Racer Update
Sailor
Administrator
posted March 13, 2002 01:08 AM            
I am pleased to announce that for those who would like to have any of the Storm Racer maps outside of Storm Racer that they are now available on the TreadMaps site under the Storm Racer selection. Here is the url for those who may not be used to going to TreadMaps instead of TMMaps. http://tmmaps.tripod.com This will get you to TreadMaps instead of adding the "/tmmaps" which takes you directly to the TMMap site. Or you can go to http://tmmaps.tripod.com/srmaps and it will take you directly to it. Anyway with JV's permission I have split out all the Storm Racer maps including special effects for each map having them. You can use them as normal TM maps in either race of battle mode. They work quite well either way. Hope you like them.

------------------
May you always have a following Sea and the comfort of those you hold nearest to your heart.

IP:

Random Chaos
posted March 13, 2002 01:30 AM            
Sailor - idea for your site: Any chance of getting you to put up a version where you don't have the images but rather just a list of maps (newest at the top)? I like updating my maps to whatever is newest...but its hard trying to pick out the new ones in the middle of the 5 million maps on your site

--RC

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted March 13, 2002 04:45 AM            
totally, or even have a date when it was added to the site should do the same job.

------------------
Tread Marks Ladders

IP:

Sailor
Administrator
posted March 13, 2002 04:56 PM            
Not a bad idea RC and Coax. I will look into it. Maybe an additional page with list only and dates of addition or a pushdown list with newest at top. Something like that. New ideas always welcome - thanks for the input.
Secondary thought. I like the pushdown list best since you do not have to visually check the list for the most recent date. Thoughts anyone?

------------------
May you always have a following Sea and the comfort of those you hold nearest to your heart.

[This message has been edited by Sailor (edited March 13, 2002).]

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted March 14, 2002 03:26 AM            
the list idea sounds good to me. I'm a lazy web-designer so I'm always interested in the least amount of code to get the job done.

------------------
Tread Marks Ladders

IP:

TurdHeart
posted March 14, 2002 07:58 AM            
As an aside, I just realized this week that Storm Racer was available - I must have missed all the hoopla while I was away. It is *REALLY* something!!! I can't believe the dedication.

Boogie ball rocks!!! ...and the sound effects from the General Lee! Coooooool!

IP:

peeeto
posted March 14, 2002 11:19 AM         
yes - the SR mod is an incredible piece of work! makes me wonder where JVortex has been & what he's up to lately...?

IP:

Sailor
Administrator
posted March 14, 2002 02:35 PM            
JV is around but usually on AIM or ICQ late evenings or night (more late night). Give him a shout peeeto and let him know what you think of his work. He would love to hear it I am sure.
TH - it is too bad you were away when it came out. It is a great piece of work and JV put a lot into it. Hope you continue to enjoy it. Maybe we can have someone put back up an SR server so some of those who like it can play together. Does not have to stay up forever, but it would be nice again. Of course it can be set up as a DM and not just racing, but CrissCross is really a terrific race map with all the jumps. Gotta love the work that went into that map. RACE ON!!!!!!!!!!

------------------

[This message has been edited by Sailor (edited March 14, 2002).]

IP:

Vlad
posted March 14, 2002 03:29 PM            
That's the main thing that always bugged me when there were Storm servers up, they were always DM. Storm was always meant to be a race mod, as the wealth of awesome race-based tracks strongly imply. I urge everybody out there to give the mod a shot in racing mode, and can someone please set up another server for it again?

IP:

Random Chaos
posted March 14, 2002 05:01 PM            
Multiplayer race never works well I've found...too hard to get the players set up and on at the same time!

IP:

Karldar
posted March 14, 2002 06:14 PM            
I've put a server up for now, but I can't vouch for its stability. Also, drop me a line or post here if it's inaccessable-might need to adjust my firewall. RACE ON!

IP:

Sailor
Administrator
posted March 14, 2002 06:52 PM            
Well you were right Karldar. I tried to connect to the server and it timed out. Can you check it and fix any firewall issues. Thanks

------------------

IP:

Karldar
posted March 14, 2002 08:58 PM            
Oops! I'm on it, guys.... Goin' to work, so hopefully this'll do it.

IP:

JVortex
posted March 15, 2002 01:23 AM            
well im still alive all, just havent been doing a whole lot on the comp lately. trying to take a break from modding to ensure that i dont abruptly become a single man . i think i used up all my so called "free time" in making the SR pack, hehe.

glad to see that you guys like the pack. i was starting to wonder if those 56K users (like myself) would get aropund to d loading the monster file!

glad you like the Boogie Ball TH, im still really proud of that one. i think my personal favorite so far is still the Multi-Phasic Nukes tho, all kinds of eye candy there .

ill try to not be quite so scarce in the future. and do you guys have any idea how hard it is to make ones self stop and take a break from modding ?!?!??!?!

RACE ON!

------------------
Let the rocks roll and the battle commence. www.bzrpg.com .
Check out the site! Loads of Tread Marks support and AddOns. Home of the S.T.O.R.M Pack.
The Storm has arived!! :)

IP:

Irascible
posted March 17, 2002 03:04 AM            
(Every time I post in this area of the board it feels so weird. It's like I left the world of the normals and entered the underground dwelling of mutant elves... uh... ahem... sorry... I mean modders. )

I was bugging JVortex tonight. (Yes Virginia, he really was playing on a server.) Paranor mentioned this in passing in some other thread. There should be a Storm Racer DDM. Maybe even one on a semi-regular basis... every couple of months or something. The purists will say it's best played as a racer. But step one is to get them to try the mod. Then you can work on the race part.

Get the "powers that be" to agree to it a month or more ahead. Make sure it's not near some holiday. Post a bunch of annoying reminders several times a week to get people to download. And I don't mean bump one reminder. I mean make a new thread twice a week. All the modders could give it phony bumps (or am I assuming too much modder solidarity?). For people on dial up, make a CD available.

Don't get me wrong. I am a severe pessimist at heart. So I would expect low turn out. But from what I've seen and what Bam told me, there was one hell of a lot of work put into it. It's a shame to let it go to waste. Accolades from your fellow modders is nice. But let's get the masses to at least try it.

In fact, if you guys do this thing, I'll make the CD available free to people in the U.S. who insist they won't download because of their dial-up connection. I'm serious. I've got a fast burner and a bunch of media that I picked up almost free. A little postage ain't going to kill me. Of course, I'm assuming I'll only need to send out a couple dozen at the utter most extreme. The word "free" sometimes spells trouble...

DO THIS THING!!!

IP:

Irascible
posted March 17, 2002 03:12 AM            
Sorry, I signed off the wrong way...

RACE ON!

IP:

Kevlar
posted March 17, 2002 03:20 AM            
Free!!! I'll take ten CD's , then!!! (j/k)

I assume that Par is going to use the schedule he posted recently which means lots of Storm DDM's to come so... "full power to the CD burner"

Here is his schedule if I am not mistaken:
/forums/archive/ubb/Forum2/HTML/002023-2.html

------------------
TM-Central.com

IP:

Irascible
posted March 17, 2002 03:36 AM            
OK, so I'm a little behind on the eight ball. But boy did I have a lot of enthusiasm.... (*cough*).... .... I mean a lot ....(*gag*). I must admit that clan stuff means little to me. So I didn't pay much attention to that thread. Is it definite? Does Par make the schedule? Do we know when the SR DDM is going to be? What year is this? I'm so confused.

Anywho, I'll still do the CD thing if you guys want. Maybe we can fill it up a little with some of the master packs, etc. But someone will need to take charge. I'm not doing much at this point beyond offering. Someone is going to have to make sure the SR DDM is definite and then let me know exactly what to put on the CD. If you do that, then I'll post my offer on the board.

IP:

Karldar
posted March 17, 2002 07:37 AM            
Word!

p.s. Havin' trouble with my ISP at the moment, but I might've taken care of the prob. If so, I'll put my server back up relatively soon(couple days or so).

IP:

Irascible
posted March 17, 2002 09:40 PM            
OK, so I'm REALLY behind the eight ball: http://karllois.dyndns.org/treadmarks/2002CalendarandNotes.htm
April 7 is modded and April 21 is Storm.

Now, can someone give me a definitive list of files and where to get them to include on the CD? The usual answer is "oh, go to my website... But there are quite a few websites and numerous master packs, individual updates, yada yada yada. I can't keep up with it all. I'd like to include more than just the SR file.

?

IP:

Irascible
posted March 17, 2002 09:41 PM            
BTW, if someone has already done this before let me know. If it completely flopped then there may be no use in me trying.

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted March 17, 2002 10:09 PM            
Ras: I did a search all over the TM main board but I couldn't find it. Kong said he'll send cds out to the dial-ups, but that they just need to tell him what they wanted. Perhaps you can contact him to do a joint thing and put a reminder in the main board about his offer. Seems like a lot of people forgot about it.

------------------
Tread Marks Ladders

IP:

Paranor
posted March 25, 2002 06:24 PM            
I gotta read the MODDED section more often.

I only make the schedule to keep things going. But anyone can feel free to take over - offer a server, etc.

I was thinking of rotating between DDM and RACE for STORM. Like best of both worlds. I WANNA SEE TIRES FLY AND CAUSE DAMAGE!

IP:

A2597
posted March 26, 2002 10:53 PM            
Laughs at all the 56Kers (Like himself)

I frequently DL 100+ meg files.
(GOOOOOO Getright!)

(Yes...I am tired, and now I'm babeling...*sigh*)

------------------
### Hi, I'm a sig virus. Please add me to the end of your signature so I can take over the world. ### - Caught from excaliber @ B5mg.com

IP: