|
Author Topic:   I rock. :) ALL MAPMAKERS READ!!!
A2597
posted February 13, 2002 01:04 PM            
After fiddeling around a bit, I found the EASIEST way to make heightmaps.

first, download terragen from www.planetside.co.uk

you will note how EASY it is to make the map.

click the little button beneaith the map. (It will have a number and the word meters) in the new screen, at the upper right, select a new resolution.
close. play around, make your map. if there is water, press the water button and change the water depth to something like -3000, then it wont show up.

then, click export. etc, it will save in .raw format. I checked, and paint shop pro loads it.

resize to 1024x1024, and change bit depth if needed.
save as BMP, and import.

hard as it is to belive, no editing is required, it's already tiled.

you *MAY* need to darken it a little, as TM needs 00 00 00 to have water, and it's not always PERFECTLY black.

lets just say you can LITERALLY make a heightmap in a minute, and it will be much closer to real terran.

*Waits for some replys*

------------------
### Hi, I'm a sig virus. Please add me to the end of your signature so I can take over the world. ### - Caught from excaliber @ B5mg.com

IP:

wolfman
posted February 13, 2002 01:19 PM            
Is it safe with Win ME ? Anyone know? JT

IP:

A2597
posted February 13, 2002 02:04 PM            
Safe? LOL
I've used it on win 95, 98(1st AND second edition), Me, and WinXP,
It's a regular program.

------------------
### Hi, I'm a sig virus. Please add me to the end of your signature so I can take over the world. ### - Caught from excaliber @ B5mg.com

IP:

peeeto
posted February 13, 2002 02:16 PM         
i know of terragen - great program. but last i checked, it only saved like 20x20 pixel maps...

really cool if it can do 1024x1024!!!

IP:

wolfman
posted February 13, 2002 03:23 PM            
Reason I asked was that I did not see Win ME as listed. Cool. Once I straighten the rest of the PC out I will give it a shot. JT

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted February 13, 2002 08:30 PM            
Terragen is fine on all th OS you mention - i use it myself, have for ages. PS rather than exoirt in raw, just use a screen grabber to grab the area, whack that right in and blast it up to the required size - make ya map in 40 seconds by cutting out the SAVE AS - - - LOL !

IP:

Sailor
Administrator
posted February 13, 2002 09:10 PM            
I have been using that program for a while and it is easy to build a height map. Also use other programs that gives me a variety of sources and ways to build new heightmaps. Do not want to get stale just using Terragen, but it is convenient.

------------------
May you always have a following Sea and the comfort of those you hold nearest to your heart.

IP:

A2597
posted February 13, 2002 09:40 PM            
ahh, but matrix, then it's only 500 pixels wide, and you have to blur it a little afterwards. by using the save, no bluring is needed.

------------------

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted March 10, 2002 01:54 PM            
just load up into photoshop or whatever and whack it up to 1024 m8, a quick gausian blur later and ur ready to rock

IP:

Random Chaos
posted March 10, 2002 10:25 PM            
Gaussian Blur = required for TM maps

At least thats what I've found...smooths out all those bumps that really cause problems. Thus if its 1024x1024 or 512x512 it really doesn't matter...

I just wish computers could handle TM maps at 2048x2048...but alas most systems without top specs are overwhelmed by them...

IP: