This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2  |
Author Topic:   TM soccer idea
Karldar
posted February 09, 2002 12:29 PM            
K, I know that a few peeps have mentioned it before so I thought I'd throw a mod idea out there for everybody to chew on.

Prolly not possible, but is there a way to make a soccer ball out of a tank? I was just thinkin' about how far the mite flies if ya ram it real good with a metal tank. Obviously(unless you want the "ball" to attack you), it would have to have no locomotion or weaps. I guess armor would hafta be pretty high if movement depended on shooting it. S'pose scoring would have to be kept manually too.

Oh, well-I'm way too tired to be posting anything anyway, but I thought this might be a workaround for the "soccer not possible" issue.

OK, sleepy-time now....

------------------
I like pie, but I LOVE TM!

### Hi, I'm a sig virus. Please add me to the end of your signature so I can take over the world. ### - Caught from excaliber @ B5mg.com

IP:

BamZipPow
posted February 09, 2002 12:37 PM            
You could have mass drivers only and you score by smashing the other teams' tanks into (let's say) acid pits that kill instantly. You could put up walls but that might not keep them in. It would be a wicked game though... Make the time unlimited with the team scoring a set number of goals? Sounds good to me...

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted February 09, 2002 03:05 PM            
mass driver tank tossing has a nice ring to it, but I guess we could just up the kick on the 120mm to have the same effect. But, you just know people are going to be shooting each other with that wep

------------------
Tread Marks' Ladders

IP:

BamZipPow
posted February 09, 2002 04:23 PM            
Okay...since you're the mass driver king of them all!!

Turn off the damage to the weapons and let the kicking begin...and let's make it a special map with lots little bumps so you can't get going too fast of a run.

It would be really wicked for a group of folks to gang up on one tank and push...er, mass drive it into oblivion...er, the goal. Muhaahaahhaa....

[This message has been edited by BamZipPow (edited February 09, 2002).]

IP:

KONG
posted February 09, 2002 04:59 PM            
you could use a dummy tank

IP:

BamZipPow
posted February 09, 2002 05:39 PM            
Hmmm....here's another thought. Have someone volunteer as the ball using the liquid 8 ball as their tank. Maybe a special skin that makes a volunteer look like a soccer ball? He/she could be the spoiler by not getting kicked into the goal. Maybe make all the tanks with invinceable armor. Multiple powerups.

IP:

Rex R
posted February 10, 2002 01:58 AM            
short range(20-30m) mass driver as tankgun normal kick and no damage should do the trick. use a couple of the 'unused' tanks for the teams. set up a map with 1 dummy tank spawn(scaled 8-ball?) and only ammo boxes, no weapons. have the ammo boxes spawn on the sidelines perhaps?

IP:

Sage
posted February 10, 2002 01:05 PM            
and I guess we do the scores in are heads?

------------------
Fragging is only wrong if you don't mean to do it.:)

IP:

Mysterial
posted February 13, 2002 07:22 PM            
Well if knocking someone into a pit or something is the way to score, might there be a way to give the appropriate team credit for it?

BTW: Not mass drivers! I hate mass drivers! I suck with them!

IP:

-DNX-Ni
posted February 13, 2002 07:35 PM            
hehe...or CTF soccer! Goals consist of a CTF flag...goal = team destruction and then on the logs afterwards count how many times each team was killed!

------------------
Feck It... Light Speed

IP:

Sage
posted February 13, 2002 07:58 PM            
Actually, I got a email by one of the guys of LDA and he said he'll pass it on to the others about making a mod for keeping score.

------------------
Fragging is only wrong if you don't mean to do it.:)

IP:

Random Chaos
posted February 14, 2002 09:05 AM            
Ok...

I was going to make a soccer map, but after reviewing all the capabilities of TM, there is no way to create a null flag zone (ie, a flag that the AI cannot pick up and cannot go to, but counts toward scoring).

P.S. - I didn't read the above posts...

--RC

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted March 10, 2002 06:20 PM            
This is already functional as is someone just needs to do it.

Make a flat basic map.(can be done)
Make 2 goal post.(can be done)
Only allow AIs to use 8-ball that has 0 speed and acceleration, and no ammo.(can be done)
Disable all weapons except for the 120mm and set the reload time faster.(can be done)
Set the amount af ammo each tank has to infinity.
Keep a mental score.(can be done)

This could be accomplished in a day, someone just go ahead and do it, please-please-please.

------------------
Tread Marks Ladders

IP:

BamZipPow
posted March 11, 2002 06:52 PM            
Okay Coax...working on it. Got the map which will be in a large pit. Got the physics of the 8-ball AI pretty much to a good point. It will try to fight you though through it's ability to turn while spinning.

Trying to make the goals a pit that will kill the AI so it will reappear/reset in the middle of the map for the next score. Experimenting with various setups...it's all new to me because I haven't modded before. So be careful when you step out on the field of play...

IP:

Kevlar
posted March 11, 2002 08:49 PM            
Hey man, RC does those Lava pits that will create a kill. If that would work for what you are doing.

IP:

BamZipPow
posted March 11, 2002 10:18 PM            
Was thinking of putting a lava pit on one end and a poison pit on the other. At least that way you could keep some sort of scoring... Whadda think?

IP:

Irascible
posted March 12, 2002 12:10 AM            
I was on Bam's test server last night. From what I've seen it could be a lot of fun. Like you said Coax, we had as much fun (more) knocking each other around as we did hitting the dummy tank. I personally have always like flat maps with the mass driver cause you can come up fast and jam the mass up someone's rear before they even know what happened...

IP:

Karldar
posted March 12, 2002 09:20 AM            
Hmm, guess I should pop in for a look around. It is my thread, after all hehe.

When someone(Sage?) mentioned soccer for TM I auotmatically thought that weapons would be unnecessary cuz with the right setup we could just ram the "ball" around-kinda like real soccer. I mean, isn't using weapons to play more like a game of field hockey or polo than soccer since you wouldn't be touching the ball directly?

Don't guess it really matters, but I just love watching the mite fly when I get up to ramming speed...

EDIT: Just realized that I allowed for shooting the ball around when I started this topic, but I still think ramming would be fun, too.

[This message has been edited by Karldar (edited March 12, 2002).]

IP:

Random Chaos
posted March 12, 2002 01:15 PM            
If you use 2 types of lava/poison/acid they have to be at slightly different elevations. If you change the damage (which you would want to do if you want instant kills) I request that you create a new projectile instead of altering existing ones (just number it or something...each projectile is set for different width rivers so you lose between 25% and 75% health usually crossing).

To get all the files (in proper layout too!): http://treadmarks.0catch.com/mods/file.html?ToxinsTest.ZIP

IP:

Random Chaos
posted March 12, 2002 03:00 PM            
Another note Kaldar - you could make it so the tank has to be rammed...ie the mass of the tanks is much greater then that of the weapon kicks. The weapons can kill, but not shove easily (basically have a bumper car game of soccer )

IP:

BamZipPow
posted March 12, 2002 03:41 PM            
Well...you can still use yer tank to stop the "ball" and then shoot it in the direction that you want to...if yer that good, of course.

I've got my weapons with no damage and a lot of kick so the only thing that will kill any of the tanks will be the goals...and the Alt-K.

Got the file downloaded and will check it out on how to intergrate it into the map. Right now the map/field is like a double sink to keep the tanks in. More like arena "football" is setup to be. Now I'm trying to figure out a decent way to make the goal pits.

Also (after reading most of the modeling tips) trying to design a soccer skin for the 8 ball tank. Oh what fun for a newbie...

IP:

Random Chaos
posted March 12, 2002 03:45 PM            
Skinning round stuff in TM is hard...

IP:

BamZipPow
posted March 13, 2002 02:59 AM            
Maybe I'll just make a soccer skin for the mite instead...

Trying to work on converting a soccerball model and maybe using that as a "tank". So much fun to be had...

IP:

BamZipPow
posted March 15, 2002 05:22 AM            
Well thanks to JVortex, I have the map working and it looks...Marvelous!! Just need to get some ideas on how to implement this theme.

Tried the Mite tank and it didn't fare as well as the 8Ball tank so I'm going to stick with the 8Ball scaled down to 40%. And yes, the ball will be armed! Be careful if it ever gets a mass driver!!!

Since this is a soccer type theme, I'm trying it with the weapons damage off and upped the kick to the gun. This seems to kick the ball up in the air more often than not. You can almost make it to the other side of the field. Great for centering passes.

Not sure if I should leave the mass driver in there or not. This weapon allows you to kick the ball a bit straighter than the gun. There will be some players that will have more fun kicking each other around instead of the ball.

Yes, you can accidentally kick the ball up and over the field which means that someone has to go and "throw" the ball back in. I guess I could put up some bars to keep the ball in but if it ever did go over, you wouldn't be able to get past the bars.

Going play with the boomstickville sign to make it deeper, wider, and taller for the goal. The only way I've found to score and reset the ball is to kill it with some sort of world spewer so it will reappear back in the middle of the field. I haven't tried the acid/lava/poison thing yet. This stuff is still new to me.

More fun to be had...

IP:

Karldar
posted March 15, 2002 09:15 AM            
WORD!

IP:

This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2