|
Author Topic:   Having projectiles belong to The World instead of a specific player
Vlad
posted January 17, 2002 01:31 PM            
I seem to remember reading a post a long time back about someone having problems with their projectiles calling other ones, and the second ones would belong to The World (thus homing in on every tank, including the person who fired it).

However, I actually WANT my weapon to do that (trust me, there's a reason). I could have sworn it was making the projectile come from the SmokeEnt, but that didn't work. So, does anybody remember how to make a projectile fired by a tank spawn a projectile that belongs to The World?

IP:

Random Chaos
posted January 17, 2002 01:52 PM            
That was a problem in 1Beta1.0, 1Beta1.5, and 1Beta2.0.

This was fixed for the retail release of Treadmarks 1.0 and remained fixed in 1.5BetaX, TM 1.5, and TM 1.6.

It is impossible to pass a weapon on as "world" any more, all projectiles called will carry on as the original owner.

THERE IS A POSSIBLE EXCEPTION:
- Items passed on through EcoCrud Class
- Items passed on through the Sound calls in entities.

Not sure if they will work, but I don't think it retains the ownership function with those two items. I seem to recall that EcoCrud doesn't allow EntityChain either though, so I doubt that would be useful.

You might try other classes to see what can be passed on and what can't and all external entity calls (sound, smoke, projectile, explo, everything if you specify the class/entity.ent it will call ANY class in game, even one that isn't expected)

I do know that Explo DOES pass on ownership (thus my Nuclear RGrenades don't go after everyone anymore...)

--RC

IP:

Vlad
posted January 17, 2002 02:55 PM            
Woohoo!!!!!

It CAN be done!!!! Sorta...

If you have the projectile make a tree-class ent, then you can make the ExploKill ent for the tree be the thing you want to belong to the world! It's probably not the cleanest thing in the world, but I figure if I make a spewer that creates the tree, then blows it up somehow (I'm hoping splash damage will do it) then that should do it (haven't tried the second part yet).

IP:

Vlad
posted January 17, 2002 03:31 PM            
Urghhh...

Wouldn't ya just know it...

Learned something new. If you set a spewer as the ExploKill on a tree, and you blow the tree up by running into it, the projectiles that come from that spewer will belong to The World.

BUT, if the tree is shot (which would have to be done to set up it being destroyed automatically), then the projectiles coming from that spewer belong to the person who shot it!

So, I set up a spewer to fire a mass round right on top of the tree, which makes the following projectiles mine... again...

So, does anybody know of any alternative ways to blow up trees other than shooting them or running into them?

IP:

Random Chaos
posted January 17, 2002 03:58 PM            
I haven't tried this, but I've been searching for things I don't know if they inherit ownership. Here is one I've found:

Explo class: soundentity = thud1

I've checked everything else and haven't found a thing to try...

I do know a tank's tread's ecocrud is not bound to the tank owner, but I doubt that will help...

IP:

Vlad
posted January 17, 2002 04:07 PM            
Hmm, it's worth a shot, but something tells me it's not gonna work. I tried making SoundEnt = the spewer, and that didn't work, and you apparently can't EntityChain a spewer from within a sound

IP:

Random Chaos
posted January 17, 2002 05:47 PM            
It would be SoundEnt = Spewer/Spewername

IP:

Vlad
posted January 17, 2002 07:36 PM            
Right, I knew that much

I meant that it didn't work as in it didn't spawn the stuff for The World. Once again, the stuff was spawned to me. I haven't tried doing soundentity = spewer/TheSpewer from an explo yet, but so far, the closest I've gotten is by running into a tree that I created.

IP:

Vlad
posted January 18, 2002 10:35 AM            
Update:

Well, doing a soundentity call from an explo didn't work either. I made a projectile that blew up like a nuke and hade a timetolive of 0.01, and had a spewer call an explo with soundentity = projectile/TempProj.

And it blew up the tree all right, but once again, the ensuing projectiles belonged to me. So as it looks, the only way to get a projectile to disassociate itself from you is to destroy the tree that'll call it with a non-player-specific thing. Only things I can think of are running into it, or a projectile spawned by the map (like on Armaggedon).

I saw something in the readme for the tree class, though. What's ExploDefol do? The readme states that it's used for defoliation, which doesn't really seem to apply to the trees here. BTW, EntityChains don't work in trees either

IP:

Random Chaos
posted January 18, 2002 01:43 PM            
The trees do have a defoliation explo - its a white glow about them when you bump them or hit them with a weapon, but don't do enough damage to kill them.

IP:

A2597
posted January 18, 2002 02:21 PM            
Try this, don't use a projectile.
when I made a meteor shower, the weapon ent linked to a SPEWER rather then a PROJECTILE. and the projectiles belogned to the world.

------------------
### Hi, I'm a sig virus. Please add me to the end of your signature so I can take over the world. ### - Caught from excaliber @ B5mg.com

IP:

Vlad
posted January 18, 2002 02:59 PM            
So you're saying that the Projectiletype for your weapon was a Spewer, and not a Projectile?

If that's what you're saying, then it's not what I need (it's good to know, though).

Here's what happens...

-Projectile is fired from tank.
-Projectile exists for a while.
-After a certain amount of time, something happens.
-A spewer figures out what happens next.
-Under most cases, another projectile appears that belongs to the original tank.
-However, one of those choices in that spewer makes something that belongs to The World (trust me, it needs to belong to The World).

Any other ideas?

IP:

A2597
posted January 19, 2002 06:08 PM            
yea, for that..I'm out of ideas... =)

------------------
### Hi, I'm a sig virus. Please add me to the end of your signature so I can take over the world. ### - Caught from excaliber @ B5mg.com

IP: