|
Author Topic:   QUESTION!
A2597
posted January 08, 2002 07:48 PM            
QUESTION!

Can I make a weapon that summons tank-specific help? say the liquid evil summoned a shadow ship, a dreadnought summons a f16, etc?

------------------
### Hi, I'm a sig virus. Please add me to the end of your signature so I can take over the world. ### - Caught from excaliber @ B5mg.com

IP:

NeoKi
posted January 08, 2002 07:52 PM            
Yeah, the projectile that the Tank fires

-=Deleted Duplicate Post=- [coax]

[This message has been edited by coax (edited January 10, 2002).]

IP:

Vlad
posted January 08, 2002 08:21 PM            
Only way to do that is to make the "help" tied into the tank's main gun. If you wanted to do it as a bolton, then you'd be out of luck.

IP:

A2597
posted January 09, 2002 10:41 AM            
drat.
hmm. random one should be possible though, that'll have to do. now I'll have to make a story though...

------------------
### Hi, I'm a sig virus. Please add me to the end of your signature so I can take over the world. ### - Caught from excaliber @ B5mg.com

IP:

Karldar
posted January 09, 2002 03:42 PM            
Your idea reminded me of JV's chameleon skin bolt-on. Of course, it's random, tho .

Just out of curiosity, is there not any way to do an ifthen-type command for ent's? Something like if racetank=belabor, then bolton weap=F16. Obviously, that's way simplified from what would actually need to be done, but I guess we'd need LDA to open up the code to do stuff like this anyway. Thought of this b/c of the AI post JV made. From what he said, if AI health=10%, then action=pick up spanners from nearest spawn point...er, somethin' like that . Hope I didn't tread on any modding toes with my blatant ignorance-LOL.

------------------
I like pie, but I LOVE TM!

IP:

Vlad
posted January 09, 2002 04:26 PM            
God, I WISH there were if/then possibilities in the ENT files. There's SO many types of things that that sort of thing could help with. Unfortunately, that's just not possible.

IP:

JVortex
posted January 10, 2002 02:53 AM            
from the mouth of a programmer to the ears of modders...

lol. no kiddin, would be great if anything like that were possible.

good conjecture tho. but that kind of stuff is possible w/ the AI behavior since its controlled by the TM program itself. theres nothing you can do ENT-wise to effect the AI's thoughts. well, not entirely true, but for this purpose it is .

-
*and here he goes again.... *
-

A2597, sounds like youre after making a "special weapon powerup", like there are on most vehicular combat games. i was inspired a while back with thoughts of Vigilante 8 to do just that, to have on single type of powerup that would arm different tanks with different weapons (the good 'ol green cargo box w/ the white question mark). but i ran into the same roadblock.

i did find a way around it, and was going to do it on the SR pack but got lazy. if this is what youre after then it may need to be a mod pack cause youll probably have to alter the Sabot file to pull it off. tho depending on specifics you may not need to.

heres the short version of what you need to do. i wont type a HUGE post since im not even sure that this is what youre after .

first of all youll need to make custom projectiles for all your tanks.

alter your starting ammo ammounts in the sabot file to something low, like zero is best (if need be).

depending on what would make for good game balance (rapid fire light damage weapons vs. slow reload massive damage weapons) youll need to alter the reload rates and maximum ammo ammount for each tank. (massive damage: max ammo of like 3 while rapid fire would have a max ammo of like 500).

then alter the superammo.ent file. remove the AmmoAdd param from it.

alter the ammo1.ent file and increase its AmmoAdd param to something huge. something big enough to give your "rapid fire" tank weapon a full clip (so in this case 500). also lower its weight to probably something like 30.

+++++++
by doing this, at the beginning of a match all vehicles will be unarmed until they fall on/ go get a bolt on weapon. no one will have pea shooters (this means no "default machinegun attack"). gold super ammo boxes will now only add ammo to your bolton weapons. and now the "booring" pea shooter powerup is the most coveted item in the game since it will activate youre "special attack" form to full charge regardless of what tank or attack type you have.

the max ammo setting for each individual tank will set how much ammo is gained by the "pea shooter" powerup to be used for its special attack form. some tanks could get only 1 or 3 ammo while others would get 10 or 500 for picking up the SAME item. the tanks own max ammo will control it all.

is this the effect youre after here? if not then someone else do it so that this isnt a wasted post .
------------------
Let the rocks roll and the battle commence. www.bzrpg.com .
Check out the site! Loads of Tread Marks support and AddOns. Home of the S.T.O.R.M Pack.
The Storm has arived!!

[This message has been edited by JVortex (edited January 10, 2002).]

IP:

A2597
posted January 11, 2002 05:15 PM            
well, not really...

OK, going specific without getting INDREDIBLY specific. (IE, telling you what I'm doing)

Say we have Russia, China, America, and English tanks.

all tanks fire a different shell. EASY! =)
now, I want it so there is one weapon that summons a plane, to attack other tanks for a few seconds.
now, the russan tanks summon an SU-27, American tanks summon an JSF, English tanks summon a Rafeal.

Get the idea, thats the exact effect I need. (Just some chages, suce as what type of ship is summoned, and countries really) =)

------------------

IP:

Vlad
posted January 11, 2002 05:53 PM            
Only way you could do that would be to make the summon the main gun of each tank, then you'd have to do what JVortex mentioned, unless you wanted to have the tanks able to summon 8 jets every time they spawn.

IP: