|
Author Topic:   A new CTF map with Castles?
NeoKi
posted January 02, 2002 04:43 PM            
I was thinking about how cool it would be to have a CTF Map With two castles, one for each team. The the entry way would be big enough for three tanks to enter at the same time.... mak that four Tanks. The flag would be in the center and the would two other ways of entry, a backway but half as big, and (a) ramp over one of the castle walls, that way people can just fly right over unless it's destoyed.

------------------
Sushi

IP:

Kevlar
posted January 02, 2002 05:19 PM            
Well that sounds great but meshes unfortunately won't work like that. You can't drive thru openings. For example the clubhouse on the golf map has a front sidwalk but you can't drive up on it because the whole mesh is like one big cube.

I suppose you could make the castle in parts and drive between them. You would have to get them all line up just right.

------------------
TM-Central.com

IP:

Vlad
posted January 02, 2002 05:48 PM            
Well, it'd be quite possible to do something like that through strict heightmapping. You wouldn't need a ceiling, but walls, ramps, and gaps in the walls would be quite possible. I was thinking of something very similar around when TMapper first came out. Unfortunately, my heightmapping "skills" left much to be desired.

I was thinking of putting each little fort up on a hill, having some sort of pathway over lava around the back (risky, but easier to cap if you're not seen), etc. I was also thinking of making all the weapon spawn points only spawning certain weapons, similar to Quake. That way, Nukes and Matter Missiles wouldn't be tearing the walls down.

Then again, it's not as if the defense needs any more of an advantage in CTF.

IP:

JVortex
posted January 03, 2002 01:47 AM            
castles like that could be done. it would just be a real pain. i started on a building like that, but quit on it cause it was just taking too long.

to do it you do something like this:
(hope this works)

code:

AAAAAABBBBCCCCCC
AAAAAABBBBCCCCCC
AAAAA CCCCC
AAAAA CCCCC
AAAAA CCCCC

so your front wall is actually 3 different seperate models, A B and C. A is solid, since its a wall, C is also set to solid since it too is a wall. you then set part B to not be solid.

it sounds simple, but its just a hastle in practice.

------------------
Let the rocks roll and the battle commence. www.bzrpg.com .
Check out the site! Loads of Tread Marks support and AddOns. Home of the S.T.O.R.M Pack.
The Storm has arived!! :)

IP:

Vlad
posted January 03, 2002 08:42 AM            
But, as I mentioned, why not just build it into the heightmap for the level? Heck, that way you could use a nuke to tear down one of the defense's walls...

IP:

Kevlar
posted January 03, 2002 08:58 AM            
I see, So you are saying, use earthen walls 'so to speak'. Not a mesh, but make walls in the heightmap itself?

So basically instead of the usual flag on a hill senerio, it would be the flag surrounded by walls with openings. That could be done cheap. You could make the walls after the overall blurring process so that you could'nt just drive up them. Might be an intersting map.

IP:

KONG
posted January 03, 2002 09:06 AM            
pplz can hardly get the flag now.lol. what vlad said

------------------
Mongo only pawn, in game of life.

IP:

Vlad
posted January 03, 2002 09:35 AM            
That's the problem... unlike most CTF style games, the defense actually has a HUGE advantage. Due to the radar and the fact that grabbing a flag slows the carrier down, and almost doubles their reload rate, it's pretty much impossible for a single person to make a successful capture against even a 2 person defense. The problem seems to get exponentially worse the more defenders you add. Giving the defenders chokepoints where the offense has to come through would probably cause any captures to come to a complete stop.

However, it could probably be set up so that a team can only respawn behind their castle, and has to use the back way in. Currently, if you take out a defender, there's a good chance that they'll either spawn in the area, or somewhere in the middle of the map, where they can cut a flag runner off easily. If defenders respawned behind their base, and walls were set so that they'd have to cut through it to get back into the action, the offense would actually have more than a few seconds if all the defenders were elimated.

IP:

Kevlar
posted January 03, 2002 10:04 AM            
I see what you both mean.

That's one reason I like that crossover map. The flags are not hard to get to, but the challenge is making it back on the narrow paths. I would like to see a two team crossover style map with just two bases and one path surrounded by water. But with the same look.

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted January 03, 2002 08:08 PM            
ctf is just legalized camping in my opinion

IP:

KONG
posted January 03, 2002 08:37 PM            
try ctf burnthills. no camping on that map

------------------
Mongo only pawn, in game of life.

IP: