|
Author Topic:   Mod Picker Idea
Mysterial
posted December 17, 2001 09:19 PM            
I was considering writing a mod picker utility that would allow you to choose what weapons/powerups to use before launching Tread Marks, and also allow you to delete all (modded) files associated with any weapon/powerup you decide you don't like

Does this sound like a good idea? Should I go ahead and do it?

IP:

Vlad
posted December 17, 2001 09:35 PM            
Oh heck yes. I was actually thinking of something that did exactly that just the other day.

IP:

wolfman
posted December 18, 2001 12:27 AM            
Great idea and please do so

IP:

Random Chaos
posted December 18, 2001 12:52 AM            
Good idea!

One question (about deleting mods): How would it deal with multiple weapons that use the same file? ie. My sheep mines, kangaroo mines, and mosquito missles all use the same explo ents.

IP:

JVortex
posted December 18, 2001 01:21 AM            
YES!

as long as it has the ability to "remember" its last settings. would also be nice if it could remember a few different "sets" depending on what u wanted to play.

------------------
Let the rocks roll and the battle commence. www.bzrpg.com .
Check out the site! Loads of Tread Marks support and AddOns. Home of the S.T.O.R.M Pack.
The Storm is coming...

[This message has been edited by JVortex (edited December 18, 2001).]

IP:

Dreamer
posted December 18, 2001 02:05 AM         
Not an entirely new idea, but - sure, do it!
Suggestion from my plans for such a tool:

• have it zip up unneeded/unwanted mods instead of deleting them.
  • cooperate and interface with swisher and ENTegrety.
  • include an option to install mods from zip files semi-silently - think ".umod"->".tmod".
  • use a common programming language and make it open-source. Others may have to / want to carry on with what you may eventually drop.

IP:

Mysterial
posted December 18, 2001 08:10 AM            
Good idea about zipping instead of deleting mods that you don't want, I'll see what I can do.

About the other feature ideas mentioned:
-Why need help with installing a mod? I have yet to see one where the instructions were harder than "unzip to your TreadMarks folder". However, a somewhat different but useful idea might be to simply leave all mods zipped in a folder and have the mod picker do the unzipping as necessary. Even if I do that, though, it probably won't make it into the first version, as it'd probably take a lot of work to do properly.
-I'll be using C++ and the Windows API for everything. I'll try to put lots of comments too

BTW: What language is ENTegrety in? I looked at the source and still had no clue, which is a bit odd considering I program a lot.

[This message has been edited by Mysterial (edited December 18, 2001).]

IP:

swisher
posted December 18, 2001 09:05 PM            
ENTegrety was written in GLPro (Graphics Language for Professionals). Sadly, the language is obsolete and no longer supported. The reason I chose that language was that it was the only one I had that I could create a legally distributable .exe in.

ENTegrety produces an .unmod (240mm.unmod, for example) file containing links to every file installed for a specific mod. You may be able to use it to your advantage.

A quick way to force weapons to NOT appear is to set the "Weight = " parameter to zero (e.g., Weight = 0).

Things to keep in mind:

• Recurse and read all directories for .ent files having a "class = weapon" parameter. Sometimes, weapon files are mis-placed. It's best to just read them all.
  • If a weapon .ent file contains a weight = parm, preserve its setting by reading in the whole file, commenting out the existing weight = parm and adding a new weight = 0 parm. Obviously, you'll have to be aware of the fact that you may have already rewritten the .ent file with weight = 0.
  • You can determine the location of the Tread Marks Addons folder via registry entry: LOCAL_MACHINE,"Software\Longbow Digital Arts\Tread Marks 1.5","LaunchPath" (concatinate "\Addons").
  • Try to incorporate a grouping function. Perhaps a simple .txt file listing the weapons to be included. List these .txt file and allow the user to select the "Mod pack" file of interest. Modders could create these .txt files and your program would simply read and show then in listboxes or whatever.
  • As I think of more things, I'll post new replies.

------------------
Swisher - Check out ENTegrety for mods.
BWL/MG

[This message has been edited by swisher (edited December 18, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by swisher (edited December 18, 2001).]

IP:

JVortex
posted December 19, 2001 01:13 AM            
awwww crap, you guys are gettin all technical on me now.

IP:

Mysterial
posted December 19, 2001 06:54 AM            
Can you think of any advantage to setting the weights to 0 rather than simply moving the files? Setting the weight like that will take a bit more code, so if it doesn't have a notable advantage, I'll just move the unused files to a temp folder structure (UnusedAddOns, or something similar)

Not sure what you mean by a grouping function. I'd also like to avoid requiring anything of the mods themselves, because it causes too many problems with people who are no longer around, outdated web sites, etc.

IP:

swisher
posted December 19, 2001 07:45 PM            
Moving files easiest. Great idea. Recurse of directories is probably still necessary.

Grouping function would allow "mod Pack" selection; this would allow users to select an entire set if weapons, rather than just one. Often in Tread Marks, servers are set up with a specific "Mod Pack". These mod packs allow users to correctly sync with the server. The ModPackName.ModPack (.ModPack better file extension than .txt) file idea I mentioned would simply be a list of files that you would move from the UnusedAddons folder to the Addons\Entities\Weapon folder. Its format might be:
Weapon = 240mm OR actual file name: Weapon = 240mm.ent
Weapon = AcidCloudLauncher OR actual file name: Weapon = AcidCloudLauncher.ent
Weapon = Laser OR actual file name: Weapon = Laser.ent
and so on.
The format could either be "Class = Type", or file name.

What the mod pack idea would do is allow a user to select a particular modder's entire pack (STORM or Classic or BZ or Server, etc.).

Just a thought.

------------------
BWL/MG

IP:

GoldAnt_Number1
posted December 20, 2001 12:26 AM            
hrmmm, kinda off subject i think but, maybe LDA could put something in server runners options (hopefully fast servers) to let people slowly download latest mod-pack from that server.....etc

Mysterial, great idea! I've been discouraged from playin single player cause im packed full of peoples server mods

*imagines Mysterial creating a giant vaccum cleaner out of thin air and handing it to him*

IP:

Paranor
posted December 20, 2001 01:00 AM            
I don't do mods but great idea!

IP:

Mysterial
posted December 20, 2001 06:49 AM            
swisher, I see what you mean now. Good idea.

Also: Is the registry key always "Tread Marks 1.5" if its been patched to that version or later? IIRC, LDA originally sold the 1.0 version from their site, if it uses a different registry key even when it's been patched, I need to know.

At my current rate (and assuming I'm not TOO busy over the holidays) I should have at least a beta with basic features done by the new year.

IP:

swisher
posted December 20, 2001 10:42 PM            
ENTegrety searches for "Tread Marks 1.5" first and then "Tread Marks".

------------------
BWL/MG

IP: