|
Author Topic:   makeing new Bitmap Images
Destroyer155
posted December 16, 2001 10:47 PM            
How do you made new Bipmap Images. I wannna make the weapons look different and stufff. I d thee a program i need and of there is plz tell me where i can get it

IP:

Vlad
posted December 16, 2001 11:49 PM            
Well, Paint would get the job done. You could also try Photoshop/Paintshop.

IP:

Rex R
posted December 17, 2001 02:03 AM            
as vlad has said windows paint will work, as will most paint programs. what you need is a program that will allow you to make/work with 8 bit(256 color) and 24 bit color and can save the image as a windows bmp, have fun

IP:

peeeto
posted December 17, 2001 09:29 AM         
for a free, extensive paint program try The Gimp

it is a little advanced, so may take you some time to learn...

IP:

Kevlar
posted December 17, 2001 10:23 AM            
And if you are looking for a free, easy to use tiler, for making weapon or map textures.

Reptile (2.4mb)

Reg Number included.

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted December 17, 2001 11:58 AM            
Cppl thx - ill add that url under my utilities section on www.dmf.filetap.com

ps: for maps check out the IRIS seemless tiler

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted December 17, 2001 11:58 AM            
Cppl thx - ill add that url under my utilities section on www.dmf.filetap.com

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted December 17, 2001 11:59 AM            
Cool thx - ill add that url under my utilities section on www.dmf.filetap.com

IP:

peeeto
posted December 17, 2001 12:03 PM         
ooh - good one, Kevlar! Reptile is great!

IP:

Kevlar
posted December 17, 2001 12:29 PM            
Yeah Reptile is great, I like how you can make all your changes on the fly, without having to make a new project or anything. You can spit out several version of a texture very fast. Then choose the one you like best.

I like Iris by the way, I used it to make the ground for my DM Iron Valley Map.

Here some more graphics software that I like:
TM-Central Favorite Software

IP:

Random Chaos
posted December 17, 2001 12:45 PM            
Hmmm...

All I ever used for my maps was Paint Shop Pro 6 and its built in filters (specifically the mirroring and kalidascope parts worked the best).

As for textures...um...I avoid those - LDA has enough that I haven't needed to make my own yet...and since I try to make all my mods server side only (entities only...no new meshes and textures), I try to avoid that area for those reasons also...

Here is how I made the maps:
CTF Volcanic Isle: Round paint brush, kalidascope, and blur mostly.
DM Myan: Radial fill and extra stuff added...nothing but blur filter.
CTF Pyramids: DM Myan template, round paint brush, blur.
DM Basin: Prebuilt fire and cloud clipart dropped together, greyscaled, and blured. (Clipart from PSP6 picture tube...useless part of the program 99.999% of the time)
CTF Ring: Circles...lots of them...and round paint brush.
DM Caves: Radial fill, texture overlay, blur, roughening.
CTF Poision River: Gradient fill and round paint brush. This was a test map initiallyso I didn't take the time to do a decent design, though it worked well and I released it.
CTF Galaxy: Gradient fill. Galaxy and comet clipart (done as layer overlays). Blured (though you can barely tell on some walls!). (Clipart again from the useless PSP6 picture tube...)
CTF Acid Moat: Round paint brushes (many settings), mirroring, and blur.

P.S. - if you haven't tried the Flying Tanks an Cookie Dough mod with CTF Volcanic Isle, you need to - its the most fun way to play that level. Need at least 18 tanks involved...game is insane. I find it the most fun map under those settings!

IP:

Kevlar
posted December 17, 2001 02:11 PM            
Well, as far as maps go, since there's no such thing as a server side map, and it has to be downloaded by the user anyway, there's not much harm in a custom texture, or mesh. Long as the poly count is low.

[Edit]
Oh and when I said I used it for the base ground I meant the tiled image was converted to greyscale and used as the base ground below the mountains not that the tiled image was used as a colored texture. Only one of my maps uses a custom texture as the color. But a couple have mesh's, The Club House and snowman.

[This message has been edited by Kevlar (edited December 17, 2001).]

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted January 07, 2002 09:52 PM            
some nice maps there kevlar old chum ! - i have 70 to release soon enough - and granted, nothing u have ever seen before, most have custom skymaps and their own gravity settings i recon theres about 80 megs worth - Muhahahahaha !!!

IP:

Kevlar
posted January 07, 2002 10:38 PM            
I have been looking at the thumbnails for those maps, on your site. What about that underwater map, did it ever pan out?

------------------
TM-Central.com

IP: