|
Author Topic:   Anvil
Moriarty
posted December 16, 2001 12:19 AM            
a new weapon ready for testing...
http://www.treadmarks.de/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=mod&action=display&num=1008477796&start=0

please test and reply either there or here

------------------
I doubt, therefore I might be.

IP:

Kevlar
posted December 16, 2001 11:27 AM            
LMAO that's a good one, where did that idea come from? Where you watching the Roadrunner the day you made that. I wish it had a little tracking, those pesky ai's won't ever hold still. Good one though!

IP:

Moriarty
posted December 16, 2001 05:18 PM            
I don't really know where that idea came from. One day it just appeared in my head, the other I discussed it in the BWL forum (it turned out that several people had already thought about it, too), and then I started playing around to get it to work right.
there's one thing I'm still thinking about: should the anvil really stay there forever? I had a little chat with JV, and he explained to me several ways to make it disappear... They are all kinda weird though.

oh, and as for AIs not getting hit: Just try to increase the "weight" and then play for a while. you will notice that most of the spawn points turn into little anvil patches which can be VERY annoying

------------------

IP:

Mysterial
posted December 16, 2001 07:46 PM            
You might wish to make them eventually disappear because they might slow down lower-end machines if there's too many (I don't know for sure though, just guessing )

IP:

JVortex
posted December 18, 2001 01:17 AM            
ALL my ideas are wierd ill have you know. thats just the hazzards of asking me about ent files .

hehehhehehe

------------------
Let the rocks roll and the battle commence. www.bzrpg.com .
Check out the site! Loads of Tread Marks support and AddOns. Home of the S.T.O.R.M Pack.
The Storm is coming... :)

IP:

Moriarty
posted January 08, 2002 06:29 AM            
I've found a way!
YESSS!

ok, I'll soon release a second version with disappearing anvils that won't crowd up the battlefield. I'll just have to re-align the meshes so it looks good...

Hey, JV, can you guess how to do it? It is really simple... And yes, it is still a mesh type entity, but it disappears after a time. No jumping away or anything.

Now I think about it, this way you could even create "castles" with doors that open/close (ok, disappear/appear) at regular intervals... hmmm...

------------------

IP:

Vlad
posted January 08, 2002 08:58 AM            
Hmm.. did you use Timetolive or something?

IP:

Moriarty
posted January 08, 2002 10:17 AM            
nope. that doesn't work with mesh type entities.
another guess?

------------------

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted January 08, 2002 10:45 AM            
u trying to tell me u figured out how to plane an animated mesh on the map ? if so i have a great walker mech

IP:

Moriarty
posted January 08, 2002 02:37 PM            
I guess... well... no, actually. true animation is beyond anything I can do. and my way of making meshes disappear doesn't really help either. sorry.

------------------

IP:

Moriarty
posted January 09, 2002 09:59 AM            
ok, now JVortex has asked me (via ICQ) and thereby admitted that he actually didn't know and I finally found something out first :P
here's how I found out what to do and how to do it...

after thinking about it some days ago, I tried something weird
(which works, fascinatingly)
the thing is, you cannot create a mesh that has a limited lifespan
but a limited lifespan is just normal for projectiles
unfortunately you cannot have secEnts or anything for projectiles
but projectiles DO have a FLARE !!!!!!!!!
and for some reason or other, the flare entity can be a mesh type entity.

I was surprised.

Now I found out that this way you can even create "animated" projectiles... like a tiny helicopter with a rotating rotor... a whole new world, so to speak...

------------------

IP:

KiLlEr
posted January 09, 2002 11:02 AM            
You can put anything into a flare. I use a spewer as a flare for the wavemotioncannon and greatwall mods.

As a matter of fact, you could use a spewer
to cycle thru a bunch of projectiles of very short life spans, this would allow you to switch to different meshes in a sequence. You just have to mess with the life spans and spewer rate (a lot).

[This message has been edited by KiLlEr (edited January 09, 2002).]

[This message has been edited by KiLlEr (edited January 09, 2002).]

IP:

Moriarty
posted January 09, 2002 12:15 PM            
...and you would probably cause a lot of lag, wouldn't you?
but you're right, that way almost any kind of animation is possible

------------------

IP: