|
Author Topic:   a double machine gun
Destroyer155
posted December 12, 2001 08:10 PM            
I always thought a double machine gun like a twin .50 cal machine it would do doulbe what the single machine in the game would do. Well just a thought that all

IP:

Karldar
posted December 13, 2001 08:32 AM            
Hmm, that sounds like a pretty cool idea to me. Don't know that I can do anything about it, but it sounds cool .

------------------
I like pie, but I LOVE TM!

IP:

Vlad
posted December 13, 2001 08:41 AM            
Heh.. Peeeto and I were throwing this idea back and forth for a little bit a few months ago. There's a few reasons it can't be done:

1) An individual weapon in Treadmarks can only have one point from which to fire projectiles. A double machine gun would require 2 firing points, which is outside the engine's capabilities.

2) A potential workaround to #1 is to have a projectile offset from the center that creates another projectile that runs parallel to it. However, this is also not possible with the TM engine, seeing as projectiles can't inherit direction/velocity information from each other.

The closest thing to a workaround that we figured out was to make a mesh that's actually 2 bullets, and it would just fire that. Visually, it would look fine, but it would still just be 1 bullet.

IP:

Kevlar
posted December 13, 2001 10:36 AM            
Didn't someone make an sso-tank, Conan I think it was called, that fired two pea-shooter rounds, side by side? Seems like I'm remembering that right.

IP:

The Weatherman
posted December 13, 2001 12:03 PM         
Right you are, Kevlar. The Conan can be dloaded here: http://home.austin.rr.com/treadmarks/Conan.zip It was Modded By Smokin' Lou and Voretex the Barbarian [SSG]
I think it uses the single projectile work around that Vlad mentioned.

IP:

Moriarty
posted December 13, 2001 12:37 PM            
right. I encountered the same problem when I tried to create a seven-bullets-at-once-peashooter-shotgun. for a really big tank. I too ended up creating a new bullet sprite consisting of seven pea shots... I originally wanted them to spread out, but that is not possible for several reasons. I also tried to have the first bullet spawn the sub-bullets via a spewer - which also doesn't work because spewers ALWAYS use global coordinates. duh.
so a double machine gun could be done, but I think: why? please don't say because it does more damage. do we need weapons doing more damage? I don't think so.
Of course, it could look cool. Now that's a reason I agree with.
If noone wants to do it, I might even try to do it myself, as soon as I'm finished creating the camper-killing anvil

------------------
I doubt, therefore I might be.

IP:

Destroyer155
posted December 13, 2001 09:11 PM            
Does this tank have 2 peashooters that fire Are there anyother tank out there that have two peashooters

IP:

A2597
posted December 13, 2001 09:30 PM            
hehe,
this is why I'm designing new weapons that do less damage.
(Well, also so they show up alot and I can have fun with them)

------------------
This post was made by A2597, not A####, not A2754 A-2-5-9-7, K? :)

IP:

JVortex
posted December 14, 2001 07:26 AM            
there is a way to give the appearance of dual weapons. you need to have a sprite much like the conan tank uses (dont need a mesh for that part), to make it look like 2 things are being shot. also youll need a dual weapon mesh. the trick is setting it up so that it looks pretty ok on EVERY SINGLE tank. so make it wide enough to fit the dreadnaught with support arms heading in the center for the narrower tanks.

then instead of making the thing side bolton, make it a REAR bolton. this way its guarenteed to be centered and even on every tank.

i was going to save this idea for the Storm Pack. theres a reason that almost all the cars are the same width after all . but i dont think ill get around to doing it anytime soon, so there ya be

------------------
Let the rocks roll and the battle commence. www.bzrpg.com .
Check out the site! Loads of Tread Marks support and AddOns. Home of the S.T.O.R.M Pack.
The Storm is coming... :)

IP:

NeoKi
posted December 14, 2001 12:21 PM            
There's another way to do it JV.

Make a mesh that looks like a dual nozzle gun, the make it so that the gun fires two projectiles at the same time, then set the launchcoords to make the nozzles and the projectiles look n'line. It's not hard to do, but it could take some time.

------------------
Sushi

IP:

Vlad
posted December 14, 2001 02:15 PM            
Neoki:

That would work except for the fact that Treadmarks only allows for a single launchcoord for any given weapon. So no matter how many projectiles you had fired at once, they'd all be coming from the same place.

IP:

Rex R
posted December 15, 2001 01:59 AM            
build a projectile mesh(bullet shape lets say) clone it (now you have 2 of them) separate them by a small amount(side by side?) make them 1 object(unite) put the world origin point between them. you now have 1 mesh that looks like 2 seperate items. course you can't have them take diferent paths, and they will always have the same orientation regardless of what the tank is doing. sprites are easier and take less effort for the game to render

IP:

Moriarty
posted December 15, 2001 09:31 PM            
you could even skip creating a new mesh which is twice the original mesh by just using secmesh (without any rotation, of course). offset the original mesh a bit to the left, then offset the secmesh to the right of it... and put the launchcoords of the projectile between them. as for using the back bolton, JV, sure that's a way to center it (unless someone created the back bolton point off-center ), but we are all used to a turret-mounted machine gun, aren't we? I think if the two barrels are close enough together, it should look fine on most tanks and not too bad on all the others.

------------------

IP:

Vlad
posted December 15, 2001 10:07 PM            
Uhm.. does SecMesh even work on Projectiles? I was under the impression that it was only for Weapons.

IP:

Rex R
posted December 16, 2001 01:46 AM            
nope secmesh doesn't work with projectiles(nor does much else for that matter)

IP:

Moriarty
posted December 16, 2001 02:35 AM            
oops, should have included that I meant the weapon, not the projectile. no, the projectile must be done the way JV said, creating a new sprite that looks like two bullets.

------------------

IP:

JVortex
posted December 16, 2001 07:22 AM            
SecMesh also works on Mesh class files, just so's ya's know's

IP: