|
Author Topic:   Mucho server-side weapons for testing! Loads of fun for only a 70k download!
Vlad
posted December 10, 2001 08:37 PM            
Check it out

Many of the weapons in there have already been released, but there's also several new additions. Here's a rundown of the contents:

Weapons:

Acid Cloud (previously released): Great for taking out groups of weak tanks, or just making a large area very unfriendly. Fire heavy projectiles which release an acidic cloud on contact.

Air Raid (Beta Version): Storm Racer beta testers will recognize this as a variant of the Swonkey Gun. The initial projectile pops the target into the air, as well as release a swarm of highly tracking projectiles that will only hit airborne tanks. If you hear one of these go off, try to stay on the ground and away from hills in general.

Atomic Plasma Launcher (Beta Version): It's weighted pretty high in the above zip. It's gonna be fairly rare in the final version. The APL is a rapid-fire weapon. Only 2-3 shots are needed to kill most tanks. However, the shots spread out, so it's very inaccurate at long range. The gun is also angled up (similar angle to the MRL), so you need to either be on a hill or pretty far away from your target, or you'll be in trouble.

Dark Nova (previously released, but altered in this version): This was my first released weapon, and it's been murderous on servers. Not in a power sense, but as far as lag goes. I've removed the bouncing lasers (but kept the initial group), but each initial laser explodes when terminated. VERY nasty in close quarters, and a direct hit with the initial projectile practically guarantees you a kill.

Fire Crawler (previously released, but altered in this version): Ground hugging alternative to the R-Grenades. Only change from previous versions is the quicker reload rate.

Flamethrower (Beta Version): Very similar to the Acid Cloud. Fires a ball of napalm which ignites an inferno at the point of impact. Direct hits also do signifigant damage. The inferno is smaller, but more damaging than an Acid Cloud.

Hailstorm (Beta Version): Engineers heavily modified the Avenger design to create this beast. Much higher rate of fire and shot velocity is traded off for reduced accuracy, lower per-shot damage, and reduced kick to target tanks. Nasty at close range, but less so at distances.

MineThrower (previously released): Toss a spread of 5 mines. Direct shots do less damage than the mines themselves.

Plasma Rain (Beta Version): The Airstrike's meaner, cousin. Causes a storm of hard-hitting plasma from above that follows tanks. However, the individual projectiles don't track too well, so driving at full speed greatly increases the chances of survival.

Shadow Summoner Online (previously released): The "online friendly" version of this weapon features reduced effects. For those who haven't tried this one out yet, it calls an alien craft to fight your enemies for a short while before malfunctioning and crashing into the ground.

Sheep Brigade (previously released): Call a brigade of angry kamakaze sheep soldiers into battle!

Trick Ramdrill (previously released): A single-shot weapon which looks (almost) identical to a real Ramdrill. This modified version replaces the engine mechanism of the Ramdrill with concussive explosives. Activation of the explosives pushes the tank to the side, and the bit forward. A note on this one: grabbing superammo powerups doesn't give you extra shots but increases the power of the single shot. A level 3 shot will take down most tanks.

Tanks:

Ifrit (Beta Version): A fire-based tank, with immense speed and manuverability. The tradeoff is a weaker main gun, as well as VERY low armor. The Ifrit is great for hit and run attacks, and makes the Ramdrill quite feasible as a standard weapon. When using this one, keep in mind the lowered armor. Most weapons can take you out in 3 hits or less. The more powerful ones (flamer, plasma, etc) are an even greater danger. Use the Ifrit's speed to your advantage. The main gun is a concussive laser. It does minimal damage, but knocks tanks around quite a bit. A good strategy is to land a few hits with the concussive laser to get the tank off-balance, run off and grab a good bolton, and return to finish the job.

Juggernaut: Pretty much the polar opposite of the Ifrit. This thing's an absolue monster, but with a top speed of about 60mph, it's not going anywhere fast. The turret turning rate is considerably slower than normal, but what it lacks in agility, it makes up for in raw power...

The armor on a Juggernaut is 5x that of stock tanks, effectively giving it 500 hit points. The 120mm cannon has also been replaced with a 360mm version. Unless you're facing off against another Juggernaut, the 360mm is one-hit, one kill. However, the larger size of the 360mm shells and firing mechanism lowers the maximum (and initial) ammo count to 4, so make your shots count.

----------------------------------------

And that's that. I'm looking for any comments, really. Essentially, post here with any comments regarding visual/audio effects (anything look or sound just plain stupid?), general handling (especially in the case of the two tanks), and Balance.

As far as balance goes, I managed to get Paranor to agree to host a server running this pack (assuming nobody finds anything horribly wrong with it). The AIs are pretty good at using modded weapons, but they're not that great with modded tanks. What I was aiming for with the Ifrit and Juggernaut was to make people use different styles of play. For instance, when you're facing a human in a Juggernaut, I was hoping that a person in a stock tank still has a chance by using their higher agility to keep their distance away from the 360mm shells. I'm especially concerned with making sure that both new tanks can't dominate over stock tanks.

IP:

NeoKi
posted December 10, 2001 10:53 PM            
Make sure that no one else has any kinds of mods like yours.
http://neogenki.tripod.com/ZyonTMSite/

------------------
Sushi

IP:

LordDrow
posted December 11, 2001 01:59 AM            
Say Neoki, the links on your site are all funky, I keep getting error pages from your host site.

=MM=LordDrow

IP:

Karldar
posted December 11, 2001 06:07 PM            
Sweet, Vlad! Been havin' a blast with your new/updated weaps-haven't gotten to check 'em all out yet, but I'll keep ya posted. The tanks take some gettin' used to, but they play pretty well overall. Not too keen on goin' up against an Ifrit in a Juggernaut, tho. Flipped the Ifrit for 2-3 minutes on Kevlar's 19th Green map after cresting a hill-guess that's the mite influence or somethin'. Drivin' upside down's kinda fun, tho. Also, think that the Juggernaut's name would be more appropriate if it were bulked up a bit.

edit: The Ifrit's concussive laser reminds me of the blasters in Star Wars .
------------------
I like pie, but I LOVE TM!

[This message has been edited by Karldar (edited December 11, 2001).]

IP:

wolfman
posted December 11, 2001 10:02 PM            
Cool download. The hailstorm is as wicked as you said. APL - takes some getting used to = but if you hit a tank it kills fairly quickly. Flame thrower - pretty neat - would like some more ammo though
The tanks were a trip. The Ifrit took some getting used to. Had problems going up or down hills - even ones not that steep. The speed makes it perfect for hit and runs. The Juggernaut was a challenge - since I prefer faster tanks - but the armor and main gun make a nasty combination One hit one kill - lead your target a bit - and poof - no more tank lol Great work

IP:

Vlad
posted December 11, 2001 10:50 PM            
quote:
Not too keen on goin' up against an Ifrit in a Juggernaut, tho. Flipped the Ifrit for 2-3 minutes on Kevlar's 19th Green map after cresting a hill-guess that's the mite influence or somethin'.

Well, in order to keep the thing controllable, I had to up the friction and gravity values of the tank. Otherwise, it'd be sliding and floating all over the place. Unfortunately, that really leaves it prone to flipping. Consider it a tradeoff for balance.

quote:
Also, think that the Juggernaut's name would be more appropriate if it were bulked up a bit.

I'm gonna assume that you mean in physical size, and not stats. The stats are bulky enough :-)

As far as physical size goes, I'm a little limited for 2 main reasons:

1) I haven't the faintest clue how to model.

2) I like keeping my stuff server-side only.

The Juggernaut is actually just the Claymore's chassis with the Talon's turret/gun. I basically picked the bulkiest looking turret and chassis and combined them, and gave them a funky looking texture. I'm open to better turret/chassis combinations, though.

/me wishes that Scalematrix worked with the Racetank class.

quote:
The Ifrit's concussive laser reminds me of the blasters in Star Wars

Heh.. good call. That's actually where I got the inspiration. I was watching the original trilogy due to interest from waiting for Rogue Leader to come out, which inspired me to make a blaster type weapon for TM. It was originally going to be a standalone weapon, but I decided to throw it onto the Ifrit.

quote:
The Ifrit took some getting used to. Had problems going up or down hills - even ones not that steep.

Yeah, that's another side-effect of the high gravity and friction. If you get a running start, you can climb almost any hill, but starting from a standstill makes things difficult.

Anybody had the chance to try the Vladpack Beta server yet?

IP:

Kevlar
posted December 11, 2001 11:11 PM            
Great work Vlad. All of them are excellent. That Ifrit is fun to drive. It's like the Myte but with a fighting chance. I flipped mine too on the ''Mosquito'' map. I wanted to call a tow truck. But upright, it fun to drive, almost like playing TM in fast-motion.

The Juggernaut, hate the slow speed but you gotta love the 360mm.

Now the first time I shot the Air Raid, I missed and it went over there head out of site. I was like, oh what was that supposed to do, some air raid. Then I got another one and actually hit an ai coming over the top of me from over a hill. Then the show began, if anything that was awesome to watch. I just sat there in free-look, watching the ai get bounced around in mid air with my jaw hanging open. He finally blew up in mid air. Very cool! Has anyone else seen this one in action?

I have not hit the server yet but I plan to. I like the Atomic Plasma Launcher and Hailstorm, also. Good ol' SSO's you can't beat em.

IP:

Vlad
posted December 11, 2001 11:38 PM            
Heh. Glad you like em. The best way I've found to flip the ifrit is to try and drive towards a hill or large bump, and use that to flip yourself over. Either that, or just go really fast and turn a lot. You can't turn yourself over by just waiting like with the stock tanks.

Heh.. glad the Air Raid worked as advertised :-). What'd you think of the sound effects? I've been a little iffy on those.. they almost seem too busy.

IP:

Kevlar
posted December 12, 2001 12:04 AM            
Are you kidding? I was break-dancing up a hill, then an ai got me.

Sound effects seemed good to me. I'll pay more attention next time.

IP:

Karldar
posted December 12, 2001 08:06 AM            
Yeah, I was talkin' about the size of the J, not the stats. Fergot it's supposed to be server friendly-doh! Btw, the Ifrit's gotta be the best tank I've ever used for the shockwave. Never even touched me-lol!

------------------
I like pie, but I LOVE TM!

IP:

Vlad
posted December 12, 2001 09:21 AM            
Hmmm.. never even thought of that. Good thinking

Well, I got to play a little with a small group last night, and here's what I've noticed thus far:

- People really seem to like the new tanks. It's really something to see 4 Ifrits zipping around taking potshots at each other.

- For the most part, the two tanks also seem pretty well balanced. However, some people mentioned that the Juggernaut could use more ammo and/or more speed. Personally, I think that would make it WAY too powerful. What's everybody else think?

- I gotta change the effect on the fire from the Flamethrower. There's too many sprites flying around to keep up with, and they end up just vanishing, making the area where the damage is occuring invisible.

- Also need to tweak the Hailstorm. The rate of fire is REALLY high on it, and I think it was causing a little lag. May have to do the same with the APL, too.

- The Dark Nova needs to be MUCH more rare :-)

IP:

The Weatherman
posted December 12, 2001 09:42 AM         
Hey Vlad,
I got to see some of the mods last night and they are pretty cool. the effect on the flamethrower is relly cool. It took me a while to figure out that the noise from the ifrit was not a missle coming for me
BTW, the hailstorm is somewhat similar to the SSG M-163 vulcan with the exception that the vulcan is turret mounted. http://home.austin.rr.com/treadmarks/M163.zip
Edit - okay, somewhat similar

[This message has been edited by The Weatherman (edited December 12, 2001).]

IP:

Vlad
posted December 12, 2001 11:56 AM            
Actually, the only real similarities between the Hailstorm and the weapon you mentioned is that they both use the Avenger weapon model and fire at an insanely high rate.

I was having some issues with the Hailstorm on the server, probably due to either the rate of fire being too fast to keep up with or me forgetting to put the correct transitory statements in my ent files (the latter being far more likely). The Hailstorm is actually a hitscan weapon (like the laser or mass driver), and has a spread to it, so the further away you are, the more inaccurate your shots get.

IP:

KONG
posted December 12, 2001 10:05 PM            
jug is dominant in DM it seems. I think it will be excellent in CTF or Clan Wars. Maybe one per team would be good.Ifrit, I think is very balanced as is. Will be awesome as a flag grabber. Think CTF DDM's are gonna get real interesting. Maybe one of each per team?

IP:

Vlad
posted December 13, 2001 08:53 AM            
Well, I really didn't design either of those tanks with CTF (or racing, for that matter) in mind... I imagine that Juggernaut would make an awesome defender (and a strong, yet sloooow, flag runner).

I'm getting some mixed input on Juggernaut. I've had a few comments saying that it needs to be faster and have more ammo, and a few saying that it's too powerful.

I haven't gotten a whole lot of comments at all, though (hint, hint), so I can't exactly take it as a comprehensive opinion.

Kong, are you referring to play against humans or AIs? The AIs don't know to fear the 360mm cannon on that thing, so they just charge head on, and humans who aren't used to what the tank can do tend to do the same thing. However, I noticed when playing the other day that people were starting to learn to not get close to it and let the person waste their 4 shots while picking away at it from a distance.

IP:

Paranor
posted December 13, 2001 12:40 PM            
Oh, I'll give you my opinion. j/k

I totally agree with your balancing of the tanks. But I'm concerned about actual use of these tanks.

I see the ifrit (correct?) being used more than the juggernaut. It's not practial to use it unless you are defending in CTF. It's too slow to catch up to where the action is and impossible to shoot the ifrit with.

And my opinion is the ifrit has too powerful of a base shell. SOme hits shot me back across the map. Or is it a direct hit with it's speed? Other than that I like the ifrit.

Your other weapons seem to be less deadly than I thought when first testing - as far as too easy to use. Other than that one that will be spawning less (draing a black - it shoots out in aball and then shoots lasers). It's balanced because nearly all of the time you get killed also.

I'd say all around it's a nice balanced "pack". Kasplatt Gen 2?

IP:

JVortex
posted December 14, 2001 07:19 AM            
these weapons kick much ass

to resize the Juggernaught couldnt you use either Scale or ScaleMatrix? im pretty sure that one of those will work on tanks. even tho TM has physiches to deal with, if it works on a mesh class it should work on a race tank class, maybe?

could give it a try, would still be SSO. i think ScaleMatrix would be the more likely one to work if anything would.

------------------
Let the rocks roll and the battle commence. www.bzrpg.com .
Check out the site! Loads of Tread Marks support and AddOns. Home of the S.T.O.R.M Pack.
The Storm is coming... :)

IP:

Vlad
posted December 14, 2001 08:54 AM            
quote:
I see the ifrit (correct?) being used more than the juggernaut. It's not practial to use it unless you are defending in CTF. It's too slow to catch up to where the action is and impossible to shoot the ifrit with.

Well, just because the Ifrit is used more doesn't mean that the Juggernaut is useless. The juggernaut may have some problems taking down an Ifrit, but keep in mind that all it takes is one good shot from almost anything to kill an Ifrit (a 360mm basically vaporizes it), and you've gotta wail on a Juggernaut for a while before taking it down. If I power the Jug up any more, it will probably end up more powerful than the stock tanks, which I want to avoid.

quote:
And my opinion is the ifrit has too powerful of a base shell. SOme hits shot me back across the map. Or is it a direct hit with it's speed? Other than that I like the ifrit.

Are you referring to the main blaster? Funny thing about it is that it actually pushes tanks around more than actually damaging them. I wanted it to have a weapon that knocks a tank off balance, but does insignifigant damage. Just for reference, the 120mm gun's damage is 0.2 (or about 20 points of damage), and the Ifrit's is 0.08 (around 8 points). While it's got a faster rate of fire, unless you grab some ammo, you'll only be able to do about 64 points of damage with your initial 8 shots, as opposed to the potential 160 points with the initial 120mm shots given to you in a stock tank.

Now as far as the kick goes, I think it's influenced by how fast the tank is going, which I don't think I can control. I've noticed that if I fire a shot from a standstill and hit someone, they don't usually move much, but if I fire at full speed and hit someone, they get a good kick across the landscape. I'll see if I can jump on the server tonight sometime if anybody else is on to test it out.

quote:
Your other weapons seem to be less deadly than I thought when first testing - as far as too easy to use. Other than that one that will be spawning less (draing a black - it shoots out in aball and then shoots lasers). It's balanced because nearly all of the time you get killed also.

So are you saying that they're too hard to use to get a kill? Or that they're easier to use, but not as powerful?

And yeah, the Dark Nova's gonna be weighted FAR less. I actually just wanted to test out the modifications I made to it from the last version for lag-friendlyness. It seems to not have a problem now.

quote:
to resize the Juggernaught couldnt you use either Scale or ScaleMatrix? im pretty sure that one of those will work on tanks. even tho TM has physiches to deal with, if it works on a mesh class it should work on a race tank class, maybe?

That's actually one of the first things I tried. Unfortunately, the Racetank class doesn't use Scalematrix. I COULD use Scale, but keep in mind that that's a global paramater. So, if I did use Scale with the current configuration (Claymore chassis with Talon's turret), and it did work to make the tank bigger, it would also make anybody using Claymore or Talon have an equally deformed chassis/turret. I also COULD use one of the unused tank models (Half-Track, Elf, etc) and apply Scale there, but Half-Track's spoken for (Ifrit), and if anybody ever combined this pack with one that used one of the extra tank models as a standalone tank, then the same problems would occur.

Only way to really get around it would be to make a new model that just looks big and bad, but that would defeat the whole "server-side" idea :-)

So I figured that mixing and matching turrets and chassis as well as throwing a "mean" looking texture on there would be as good as I could do.

IP: