|
Author Topic:   Weapons Master List
Kevlar
posted November 19, 2001 05:05 PM            
Well, the weapons master list is not quite ready, now up to 107 weapons. I had missed some of NeoKi's new ones.

I am in the process of running all of the weapons thru ENTegrety. Some have errors to be fixed. I have about 30 or so ran thru so far. So by the end of the week they should be ready. On the list below, the ones that have [ENT] have been ENTegretfied, and [L] means they have been known to cause lag on the servers. If anyone knows of others that cause lag please let me know.

I am in the process of making a new text list in columns that will have weapon name, author, ent, lag, error checked, etc.

And I am making an online MS Access database file that will hold a list of all weapons by author and when I eventually do the Tank Master list, I will just add a database column of that author's tanks and eventually the author's maps. So then you will be able to pick an author name and see what weapons, tanks and maps they made. But this will be a ways off.

Rex has been sending me all of the mods he is fixing and working on. So things are moving a little faster.

[EDIT]
Removed old list link

[This message has been edited by Kevlar (edited December 07, 2001).]

IP:

JVortex
posted November 19, 2001 05:33 PM            
lookin quite good!

------------------
Let the rocks roll and the battle commence. www.bzrpg.com .
Check out the site! Loads of Tread Marks support and AddOns. Home of the S.T.O.R.M Pack.
The Storm is coming... :)

IP:

KiLlEr
posted November 19, 2001 10:32 PM            
I was toying with the idea of a MySQL+PHP system to allow registered authors to upload their mods to a database. The records have access counts, last updated, if it lags, pics,yadda, yadda, yadda, even allow others to enter reviews. But I didn't think anyone would set it up on a webserver. I have bandwidth limits (and an adhoc way of putting a webserver on the net) so I can't really host an app of that size. But I would be happy to write one provided I can et some help with the layout. I can handle the PHP/MySQL stuff, but I don't have enough time to do that and the layout/gfx.

IP:

Kevlar
posted November 20, 2001 07:47 AM            
Well I could put the data in Oracle and use a vb class file to call the data, we still do that with some of our mapping data at work. But now we use an SDE connection for our mapping data, so much of the long, drawn-out hard coding for internet mapping is becoming obselete.

But with the MS Access database method which is a lot easier, I would just use ASP's, (Web Active Server Pages). That is what we use to serve say like, Census Data that is not tied to maps, we also use it for our feedback forms and data request forms. They are real easy to set up the data connections and because it's ASP it faily secure. So it's just a matter of building the text fields and drop down boxes on the first html page with a form tag with a post command to send it to the ASP page with the data connection using an SQL statement. I don't know if you use the dreaded IIS over there KiLlEr but as long as you keep up on your ump-teen security patches and use a secondary firewall like Eeye's IIS-Secure it works great.

I really don't want to get too compicated with the coding. I'm just going to make a drop down box by author name. When you select the author it will return a table with download links to that author's weapons, maps, tanks, with info columns like lag, ent, etc. Then if needed you could search for weapon name, tanks name or map name and it would return matching download links, in the event that you did not know the author name but knew the weapon/tank/map name. The map download links that are returned would be direct downloads to Kong's site but since I would have all the error checked weapons and tanks I could link them local. But I still have to do the tanks master file so I can get that data into the database. So it's a little ways off. But that's about the cheapest way to put it up for web access, though. Because the coding does not get too complicated.

IP:

Dreamer
posted November 20, 2001 10:11 AM         
Let users submit mods to a database? Might be a good idea if someone had the time to review every single submission before actually allowing it to be displayed - abuse would be more than a probable thing otherwise.

I'm currently working on a login-based database submission system (perl+plain text - based) for TMVR (so members who can supply the correct file formats can upload mods themselves), but I'm pretty afraid of letting just plain everyone upload mods to my server.

Why I didn't choose MySQL? Well, I didn't know half the Java needed to interface VRML to MySQL back when I started with TMVR, so I had to use VRML files for all text descriptions and even for screenshot lists etc. Pretty weird system, but it serves its purpose and a Perl interface to those is not too hard to do, either...

IP:

KiLlEr
posted November 20, 2001 11:06 AM            
Only the author can only upload mods, and only if they are registered. This would require a loggin. As for VRML, you would prolly need a applet which takes a URL as a parameter. The URL can either be a physical file (who's name is stored as metadata on the database) or a php (or asp) script which loads the data off a record (if you want to store the actual file inside the record).

As for the VRML java applet, I'm sure a quick search of the net would yeild several implementations. Why code when you can copy?

Kevlar: ASP secure? ASP is only as secure as the server its running on. NT 4.0? what service pack? NT 4.0 has more security holes than swiss cheese. WinServer 2000? We Installed them at work. Its faster and more stable, but nimda killed them just as well.

I only chose MySQL and PHP as they are more popular with the ISPs than WinServer 2000.

I would not put this on an NT 4.0 server.

IP:

Kevlar
posted November 20, 2001 12:11 PM            
First off no uploads at all... that's a security no-no. If you give someone write access then all they have to do is hack for execute rights. Then they can upload root.exe and run it. I'm just talking about hitting a database for information thru a secured connection. Im gonna run all the mods thru entegrety first anyhow. I'm talking text in a database. We keep aerial images in an sde geodatabase, would I cram a bunch of zip files in there? No, cause it wouldn't be worth the download performance reduction. Which happens when you store data actually inside the database. Would I put them in Oracle? I don't think so.

Win 2000 on the server SP2. We migrated from NT over a year now on all workstations and servers. ASP is secure because you cannot view the code in a web browser, by using viewing-souce and it's sever side, it won't run from the client side and you can automatically block text field buffer overflows plus you can call code from a secure compiled vb class files.

And as far a Nimbda goes as long as you have the roll up patch in particular the directory traversal patch and have no unprotected guest shares you're ok. Nimba and code red *still* hit my web servers everyday, in the web logs, but they dont get thru. They hit your's too beleive me, they scroll thru one IP address range after another, all day long, scripted, but if you don't use IIS or Unix then your not in much danger. But if you do you better keep up on the latest patches.

By sticking with IIS I have been forced to become a security guru at work. And a secondary firewall like e-eye stops any new buffer overflows that they don't have patches for yet. That's all code red really does. Nimba exploits that too, but uses about 8 more types of directory traversals and overflows. There's no magic to what they do.

Secure??? it must be, Nimbda or code red never got in yet. But I know several agencies that did get hit. Gotta keep up with the patches with any OS, and security newletter alerts are a must. Sans institute caters to all OS's secuirty patches.

IP:

Dreamer
posted November 20, 2001 03:01 PM         
Why copy when I can code ?
My (limited) experience tells me that coding things yourself is faster (most of the time) if you want progs to do exactly what you want them to than copying parts of other's work and trying to modify their code to suit your needs...

(I'm a student, not a professional, after all.)

As for security issues - I trust the admins maintaining the (linux) server my webspace is hosted on . Looks like they're doing a good job for me.

IP:

KiLlEr
posted November 20, 2001 09:15 PM            
I got ya I wasn't sure what you ment by "Secure". What happened by me was that the building lost all power Sept. 11th and by the time the generators kicked in, the systems missed the update push from Roseland. So when the machines powered up, they did not get the security patch. But we can all say that if you want a really secure server, then don't connect it to the internet. Otherwise, you just have to keep vigilant and be prudent when setting up access rights.

That is why I work with PHP as well. I donot (or try not to rather) do client side scripting and I try to advise other app developers not to use client side scripting either. Its too much of a problem now-a-days with too many versions of too many browsers. I still have users up my butt asking why we can't do DHTML. They don't get the fact that we also publish the same apps to PDAs.

When I was speaking about uploads, I ment to only allow certain individuals upload rights. But I agree, I would not upload to a directory. At least not one that is accessible.

If you need a hand, just let me know.

IP:

A2597
posted November 20, 2001 11:57 PM            
I hear the coding thing. I'm fluent in ALL versions of HTML (Including XML) and can tell you, it's ALWAYS better to code yourself.

------------------
This post was made by A2597, not A####, not A2754 A-2-5-9-7, K? :)

IP:

Dreamer
posted November 21, 2001 11:22 AM         
Thx for the offer, Killer, but I think I can handle this myself...

Making the interface relatively foolproof is always the hardest part

IP:

Random Chaos
posted November 29, 2001 11:05 AM            
As for puting all weapons, etc into a database (which is what it seems you are all talking about):

We need:
1. Server that supports MySQL (not cheap to get...but compared to Oracle - very cheap)
2. FTP Server

Anyone able to host? I'd help build the site...mine is missing 99% of its elements now...

My site was going to become a mods site, however its just to vast an area to tackle without a database. I've been trying to for 2 years now and I can't get anywhere...too many mods with new ones coming out all the time.

IP:

The Weatherman
posted December 03, 2001 08:57 AM         
I don't know squant about the net schtuff you are talking about, but I do Have a request for Kev's project - How about adding an SSO check box for sorting? SSO is the way to go for modded (weapon) DDMs. Great project, Kevlar. It will be really useful for servers. Also sounds like you have some free time on your hands

IP:

Kevlar
posted December 03, 2001 10:03 AM            
I used to have spare time but not anymore.
I will get with you later on the SSO part.

IP: