|
Author Topic:   3ds/max lwo converter
Moriarty
posted October 24, 2001 01:43 AM            
Does anyone know a fast, easy and free prog that converts mesh files made by 3Dstudio max2 into LightWave files? I have some ideas for tanks and I know lots about 3DS, and I don't want to work with lightwave unless necessary...

thnx

------------------
I doubt, therefore I might be.

IP:

JVortex
posted October 24, 2001 04:43 AM            
Lithiums Unwrapper is your best bet for free ones.
http://www.geocities.com/lithunwrap/

VERY nice program, and youll need it anyhow for making the LUV files .

------------------
Let the rocks roll and the battle commence. BZ The RPG. Check out the site! Loads of Tread Marks support and AddOns. Home of the S.T.O.R.M Pack.
The Storm is coming... :)

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted October 24, 2001 09:20 PM            
yup you can also go get 3d exploration from www.download.com i have a file that will *expand its abilities* for you

IP:

swisher
posted October 24, 2001 10:49 PM            
Ooops.

------------------
Swisher - Check out ENTegrety for mods.
BWL/MG

[This message has been edited by swisher (edited October 24, 2001).]

IP:

peeeto
posted October 25, 2001 12:49 AM         
you may as well use LithUnwrap, as that's how you'll be creating the UVMapping anyhow.

*** note: AFAIK, LithUnwrap and 3DX will NOT properly convert .MAX files!!! if you use 3DS, be sure to save your models in .3DS format.

if you really need a .MAX file converted, i know someone who uses 3DS Vis, which can export .MAX files into many formats...

IP:

Rex R
posted October 25, 2001 04:50 AM            
best bet is to make the mesh, saving intermediate steps in .max format(I understand that .3ds might not save ALL the info needed for some of the processes, smoothing groups etc)then as a final step before converting to .lwo export as .3ds. after thats done use lithwrap and viola your texture mapping will carry over (but not vertex shading, so don't get fancy with that)

IP:

Moriarty
posted October 26, 2001 05:55 PM            
Okay guys, thanks for the advice. I just found out that I already have LithUnWrap, I just didn't know how to use it. duh.
And yes, Rex, you're right, saving only the final thing in .3ds and then converting it is best.

Some more questions though:
1) How does TM determine where to put the flag thing? That is, what exactly are BoltOn #1-#4?
2) Around what does TM rotate the turret? Is it around the coordinate origin (0/0/0) or around the physical center of the turret?
3) Is it possible to have standard tanks with semi-transparent ("liquid") elements?

------------------
I doubt, therefore I might be.

[This message has been edited by Moriarty (edited October 26, 2001).]

IP:

JVortex
posted October 26, 2001 07:27 PM            
1) the flag uses the same bolton cooridnates as any weapon does.
BoltOn 0 = the flag
BoltOn 1 = turret mount
BoltOn 2 = hull mount
BoltOn 3 = rear mount

2) the turret rotates around its central axis wherever that happens to be (the vertical one, i dont recall if thats X, Y or Z... i never remember which is which). you will want to create your turret in your 3D editor so that its centered on the vertical. So the center of the turret and your tank should be in about the same place since they will share the same vertical axis. if that babbling makes any sense...

3) unfortunately no, there isnt.

------------------
Let the rocks roll and the battle commence. BZ The RPG. Check out the site! Loads of Tread Marks support and AddOns. Home of the S.T.O.R.M Pack.
The Storm is coming... :)

IP:

peeeto
posted October 26, 2001 08:38 PM         
i believe that in TM, from a tank's perspective :

+x axis is to the left
+y axis is up
+z axis is forward (the way the gun is pointing in default turret position)

in LithUnwrap, the default colors for the axes are:

+x yellow
+y cyan
+z magenta

also, i noticed that the stock TM tanks have the center of rotation of the turret (and the tank, when turning) at X=0, Z=0 when looking from above, and that the (approximate) center of the tank gun is at X=0, Y=0 when looking from the front.

IP:

Rex R
posted October 27, 2001 02:25 AM            
thing to remember is that TM uss the origin (grip)point to determine the 'center' of the mesh. so if the hull's center and the turret's center are both in their respective physical centers you will have the turret inside the tank's hull... which may not be what you had planned on. likewise the gunbarrel so in general you arrange for the hull to have its upper surface at or a smidge below zero (y-axis) your tuuret's lower surface at zero and the barrel's aft end near zero( z and y axis) adjusting to match your turret. for further examples look at how LDA did their tanks

IP:

BamZipPow
posted November 06, 2001 07:46 AM            
Check this out!!!! Whoohooo!!

Found the file of the day!! "3D Browser"...and the 4.21 version is free! This program will allow you to import 3DS files and export them to LWO format. You can select the stuff you want to export...like just the wheels...or the turrent...or anything you like that's selectable. And you can do it all in 3D view and rotate..various views with meshes, low, high, various smoothing, .

Finally was able to convert a 3DS format T80 tank into LWO format than I've been unable to view for the longest time with any of the other viewers. It even reduced the number of polys in half. Been playing with it for the past few hours. You just might find a T80 tank in the game soon. Score!
www.blackfeet.com/plugins/us/3dbrowser/index.htm

This will allow you to view almost any image and 3D formats. Just holding your pointer over the thumbnail will tell you the stats on the model or picture. It's just too cool. Don't know if any of you have played with it but I really like it. It allows you to catalog files in a directory. I've been able to browse and check out the all the files in the TM directories in the various formats with this single program. Looks like I'm not getting any sleep tonight.

Still working on the ID4 alien attacker ship. Got the skins and now I'm trying to get the 3D model.

Check it out and see if it works for you. If it sounds like I'm excited...well...I am!!

IP:

peeeto
posted November 06, 2001 08:54 AM         
cool tool, BZP - thanks for the tip!

and, it advertises that it reads AND writes MAX files! i haven't seen any converter capable of doing that - let alone a free one!

i've already downloaded it & will check it out tonite...

thanks again!

IP:

BamZipPow
posted November 06, 2001 11:06 PM            
Okay...finally got the ID4 ship ripped out of Combat Flight Sim and converted to DXF format. Whoohoo!! I'm on my way... Getting Milkshape to convert it down and use the 3D Browser program to save out the various parts. There might be a ID4 ship coming to get you soon!!

[This message has been edited by BamZipPow (edited November 06, 2001).]

IP:

BamZipPow
posted November 08, 2001 05:59 AM            
Found another neat program that converts 3D formats. It's called Crossroads. Seems to work pretty well. Guess what? It's a free program, too!
http://home.europa.com/~keithr/Crossroads/index.html

Will convert to and from a lot of formats...you can check them out on the website. Found one way to convert this ID4 ship through 3 sources once I got it ripped out of Combat Flight Simulator. That's not too bad. Especially for everything being free programs.

Here they are:

SoftCAD 3D Lite v1.16 (separate the DXF into various parts) www.softcad.com
Crossroads (DXF to 3DS) see link above
3D Browser (3DS to LWO) see previous post above

Finally got everything separated out and modeled. Hope to have it out soon.

IP:

peeeto
posted November 08, 2001 09:15 AM         
don't forget the free software discussed in This Link

IP: