|
Author Topic:   Remote detonation
Paranor
posted October 15, 2001 11:56 AM            
Hey Mr. Mod (Jvortex ) or anyone else - I was playing a few games this weekend with the kids (so far I can still beat my son but I'm starting to lose now & then which means I'm getting too old. lol ) on the Sony PS1 that uses racing and weapons and thought why not put some of those in TM?

Thoughts on the implications of this?

1) timed explosive - you plant the explosive in a particular location and press fire again when you want it to go off

2) my guess would be an enhancement of the fire crawler (?). instead of fire it throws out a canon ball. the difference would be to not only cause damage but also flip the tank similar to the dirtball. to make it more interesting if it misses after x feet it changes direction. so it's constantly moving but stays within the boundries of the map until it hits or disappears after xx minutes/seconds.

3) invisible for xx seconds

4) kiss me you fool - this one is fun in the game but don't know how it would work in TM. you basically touch a tank and it causes damage but also bounces away. like a mass driver except you have to touch the tank. demolition derby?

ok - anyone know which games they are yet?

There are some more but I have to get back to work.

IP:

NeoKi
posted October 15, 2001 05:39 PM            
It's impossiable to make weapons that when you fire, they explode when you press the spacebar again. Second, what about concussion granades, I got the idea from SpiderMan. (my favorite superhero). The only problem is that they would be to much like the original R-Granades (Right JV
And that is kinda lame.

------------------
Sushi

IP:

Vlad
posted October 15, 2001 08:23 PM            
quote:
1) timed explosive - you plant the explosive in a particular location and press fire again when you want it to go off

Not possible.

quote:
2) my guess would be an enhancement of the fire crawler (?). instead of fire it throws out a canon ball. the difference would be to not only cause damage but also flip the tank similar to the dirtball. to make it more interesting if it misses after x feet it changes direction. so it's constantly moving but stays within the boundries of the map until it hits or disappears after xx minutes/seconds.

While feasible, it'd basically be a sort of combination of Rgrens and Dirtballs. You COULD have it keep going after it hits a tank (in a random direction), and you could also have it spurt off in a random direction after x seconds, but you can't define WHICH direction (unless it's up or down).

quote:
3) invisible for xx seconds

Invisible projectile or invisible tank? You COULD make the projectile visible for x seconds and then vanish. As far as a tank, the closest you could do is something similar to the cloaking effect on the Warbird. I've been toying with making some weird "Predator" weapon, where you can shoot a weak little projectile (like Machine Gun strength), but would be completely invisible.

quote:
4) kiss me you fool - this one is fun in the game but don't know how it would work in TM. you basically touch a tank and it causes damage but also bounces away. like a mass driver except you have to touch the tank. demolition derby?

Once again, it's sorta doable. You can make something that flings all tanks within x radius away when you fire (I believe it's been done), or something like a REALLY short range mass driver (also been done). You can't have something that flings tanks away whenever you ram them, though.

Don't know what PS1 games you were playing (I was more into the N64, myself), but I'm gonna guess either one of the Twisted Metal games or Vigalante 8...

IP:

Paranor
posted October 15, 2001 09:28 PM            
lol - vlad's the winner! twisted metal for the timer bomb but I can't play that with the kids.

Crash Bandicoot Team Racing is the other one - lots of fun with the kids.

OK - so much for asking! thanks for the help guys. Spiderman is my fav superhero also - have about 100 of his comic books from when I read him in the 80's. Gosh, I'm old!

IP:

JVortex
posted October 15, 2001 10:16 PM            
Mr. Mod, lol, i rather like that .

ya, most of them cant be done unfortunately. im hopin soon tho .

there is a way to modify the game so that EVERYTHING will cause damage on a collision. ramming tanks, hitting statues, falling from a tall height. stuff like that. its not perfect tho and i still need to work on it a bit more...

as to the concussion grenades tho...

concussion grenades are currently in the Storm Pack (as well as concussion mines). and no, they arent anything like the original grenades .

i also have a weapon that sorta resembles the cannon ball idea. its pretty nifty, Solid Fireball Layer (for lack of a better name). its a sphere of fire with a neat little trail to it. does no actual damage and rolls right thru you but toppels you over as it rols you down. and if you happen to be near it when it blows it hurts .

the invisible for X seconds would be nice, but no way to do it as of now. Twisted metal? i miss that game, as well as V8 and V8 2, hehe. V8 2 was my fav before TM.

------------------
Let the rocks roll and the battle commence. BZ The RPG. Check out the site! Loads of Tread Marks support and AddOns. Home of the S.T.O.R.M Pack.
The Storm is coming...

[This message has been edited by JVortex (edited October 15, 2001).]

IP:

Paranor
posted October 16, 2001 09:22 AM            
Are you planning on getting the gamecube JV?

IP:

NeoKi
posted October 16, 2001 11:58 AM            
I wanna get the X-Box, the gameube sucks.

IP:

Vlad
posted October 16, 2001 01:17 PM            
Don't EVEN make me start drowning you in Rogue Leader movies... Paranor and JVortex know I'll do it :-)

IP:

Paranor
posted October 16, 2001 02:18 PM            
lol - amen to that vlad! but still cool stuff to see. Vlad, do you know if the gamecube will run the old Nxx games? those are cartridge based and I didn't see anything about cartridges on the GC.

Neoki - i'm debating if I should get the xbox also. But like other MS products it might be done half-baked and overpriced. Why did you pick the x-box over the gamecube? I just might end up buying both.

IP:

NeoKi
posted October 16, 2001 03:16 PM            
Well you see for youself: http://www.xbox.com/hardware/consoles/xbox.htm
http://www.nintendo.com/systems/gcn/gcn_overview.jsp

------------------
Sushi

IP:

Paranor
posted October 16, 2001 04:46 PM            
The XBOX itself seems technicaly superior on paper but will it be used and will it work properly? I like the DVD and dolby but gamecube as DV outputs also. I think I'll wait until I can physically see both. Which would be about March of next year?

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted October 16, 2001 05:23 PM            
Can a market support so many gaming consoles is the question.

IP:

Vlad
posted October 16, 2001 08:08 PM            
Nope, GC can't play old Nintendo games, simply because it's a disc system, and older nintendo systems were cartridge based.

And while the Xbox may have better numbers, Nintendo's stuff looks better so far. It's built a LOT more efficiently, and uses some high speed RAM. Not to mention that the chip is a PowerPC one, as opposed to the Xbox's P3. It's sorta like the difference between the Mac and PC chips. A 400Mhz Mac can trounce a 700Mhz PC...

IP:

Paranor
posted October 16, 2001 09:56 PM            
I thought the xbox used a Celeron. I would be surprised if it's a P3 considering the price.

I agree - my previous job had tons of IBM RISC boxes running full 3D modeling (like showing a stress points when a fully drawn truck goes over bumps). PowerPC chips rock! Too bad they don't run Windows. Oh wait, that would slow it down.

IP:

JVortex
posted October 17, 2001 01:07 AM            
chances are i wont be getting any new game systems any time soon. im stuck on my PC. ill just have to make my own new games .

------------------
Let the rocks roll and the battle commence. BZ The RPG. Check out the site! Loads of Tread Marks support and AddOns. Home of the S.T.O.R.M Pack.
The Storm is coming... :)

IP: