|
Author Topic:   Is there a Windows XP patch coming?
Irascible
posted September 23, 2001 01:52 AM            
Never mind - I wasn't using NVidia's XP driver like I thought I was.

[This message has been edited by Irascible (edited September 27, 2001).]

IP:

Random Chaos
posted September 23, 2001 11:29 AM            
Hmmm...

That seems odd. Is WinXP based on the NT or 9x series of OS's? TM works under both NT and 9x so I don't see why there should be any problem.

Personally I refuse to do anything with any Microsoft product that has such screwball regestering controls that crosschecks hardware. To me its just a monopoly out of control and is about to lose a lot of people (there are a huge number of situations that it won't work for - how about a laptop with docking station? What about a secure government network? Etc.). I know that 90% of the people I know refuse to ever upgrade to XP as long as those regestering controls are in it.

--RC

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted September 23, 2001 11:37 AM            
far as i know the register controls are set to a minimum in the bets based on the reg numbers of your : soundcard, cdrom and processor benchmark - i understand the registration controls will be at absolute miniumu by the time xp is on the store shelves.

I for one will be upgrading

IP:

Irascible
posted September 23, 2001 07:10 PM            
XP is more akin to NT AFAIK.

RC, check out this link: http://www.overclockers.com/tips636
The initial reports of product activation would certainly have justified your concerns. But, except for Microsoft haters who will use any excuse to complain (which may very well be you ), product activation has become a non-issue.

The linked article mentions, like Matrix said, how product activation has loosened up. Plus, you can start over every 120 days. So not only can you make many more changes that was initially thought, but you can install it on a completely different computer 4 times a year.

I'm not a MS lover. They've had unfair business practices, so go after them for that. They are not, by any reasoned definiton, a monopoly. Let the flaming begin .

[This message has been edited by Irascible (edited September 23, 2001).]

IP: