|
Author Topic:   in light of recent events, a question for you guys
JVortex
posted September 12, 2001 02:52 AM            
first, a bit of background to this (yes i will try to make it brief coax ).

hope i word this right...

i have been asked by a few people wondering whats going on and why i havent put out any mods lately even tho im obviously still "active". to these people i have responded that i have been working on a mod set, tho i havent said what it is. most people then i think get the impression that im working on a theme set, much like that which LB released a while back w/ his mythology weapon pack.

im however working on a total conversion pack, much like what matrix is doing w/ his BZ 3 mod set. total alteration and replacement of many files to essentially convert TM into an entirely different game. im going a bit more in depth on mine tho.

ive been trying to keep it all kinda secret because i wanted to make this a surprise to the TM community as a whole just as my way of saying "Merry Christmas! awwww you guys are all just swell ." things like this are always better as a complete surprise than when you know its coming. so much for the "complete surprise" i was after.

my original plan was to announce the fact that the pack exists about 2 weeks before it was done so i could line up some beta testers who were willing and able to try out a 30 to 50 meg mod set. yes it will be about that big. but im now faced w/ a bit of a moral dilema...

it should be stated here that i am in no way trying to capitolize off of the recent WTC disaster. the following listed features are things that i had developed and implimented to a working degree roughly a week ago previous to this horrible thing happening.

first off i finally found out how to make destructable buildings... i wont say how as of yet, that will still remain a part of the surprise. thus my urban map was started. on this map there are many buildings as well as towers... and on top of that i have airplanes flying around, which happen to be 2 engine passenger jet liners... these planes periodically will crash into you AND buildings, blowing themselves and the buildings up in the process...

it seemed like a fun idea as of a few days ago...

the buildings and planes are something that most of us have been after for a while, and here i managed to do it and now i dont know if i should leave these features in or not. as of now a few other things use this idea and many other things resembling it are planned.

leaving an urban map such as this in there could EASILY really depress/ offend/ piss someone off, but i dont know... what do you guys think? yes i know "its a game" so no big deal. but what has recently happened w/ the WTC is not a normal event and i think it should be concidered very seriously here, even in a game. should i leave these features in as part of the mod? or should i remove them and attempt to replace them with something similar? (no a helicoptor isnt an option due to technical reasons).

i bring all this up and "spill the beans" now so to speak because i dont want to finish it as i am now just to find out people suddenly hate the thing because of it. if features like this in the game would be harmfull in any way i would like to know now before they are completely integrated into the conversion pack and would be a LARGE pain to remove and replace.

maybe leave these features out for now and include them in an upgrade at some point? leave out an urban map all together? i dont know.

what do you guys think on this? please be honest, even if honesty means "JV youre over reacting". the more of you who think im over reacting the better as far as im concerned. i want to know what the TM community thinks on this, if someone doesnt feel comfortable responding here then PLEASE email me at j_vortex@yahoo.com to let me know.

and P.S.
while some who read this may think im making too big of a deal over it, i honestly dont think i am. TM has always been such a positive game and has such a great community that the idea of someone playing a conversion set that I MADE and having all kinds of fun with it THEN playing on the urban map and getting sad/ depressed/ what have you, due to the reminder of a lost loved one is not something i want here. whats the verdict guys?

------------------
Let the rocks roll and the battle commence. BZ The RPG. Check out the site! Loads of Tread Marks support and AddOns. (Under Heavy Construction) The non-TM areas of the site have been resurrected!

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted September 12, 2001 02:59 AM            
I think the idea of seeing "2 engine passenger jet liners" crashing into buildings is over the line. I would suggest holding that back for release in a future update.

IP:

Irascible
posted September 12, 2001 03:36 AM            
I don't know what your schedule for this thing is - so waiting may not be an option. But, I would wait even to ask this question. Asking the day of the trajedy is much more likely to get negative response. Being very stoic, my natural reaction is to say don't worry about it. But watching that second tower fall as it happended just broke me up. Waiting is good - but I personally wouldn't be offended.

BTW, how hard would it be to make the plane be some trick spaceship instead? Maybe along the lines of those ships in the movie Independence Day - they could blow up the buildings the way they did in the movie - and the reference to the movie would be obvious. Not knowing a thing about how you do what you do, I'm sure that was a preposterous suggestion .

IP:

Rex R
posted September 12, 2001 03:53 AM            
I would think delaying those parts for a later release or if poss replacing airplanes with something else(flying cows, ufo's) would be the way to go

IP:

swisher
posted September 12, 2001 09:37 AM            
Hold back on planes into buildings. Cows, etc., good idea.

------------------
Swisher - Check out ENTegrety for mods.
BWL/MG

IP:

The Weatherman
posted September 12, 2001 11:11 AM         
I agree that you should not have the planes into buildings. Anyone seeing that will recall the WTC attack and I personally don't want to think about it when I am relaxing with a game. I don't have any good alternate building colliders. You may want to let that trick go for a while.

I am really excited about your plans in general, tho!

IP:

JVortex
posted September 12, 2001 11:12 AM            
youre right, asking the day of was in very poor taste. i apologize for that, well, now i feel rather stupid...

i realized after re-reading my post it sort of sounds like i was making fun of things the way i said "2 engine jets". i really didnt mean it like that.

the release date isnt anything specific, i am just assuming a month or so. doesnt look like it will be much longer than that if i keep going on it as i am now.

the purpose of the planes wasnt specificially to destroy the buildings, they just happen to hit them here and there, so im not going to do an ID 4 theme on it, heh, interesting map idea however, but i think that would bog out the map. i hadnt thought of the UFO approach, that also answers a couple of my other problems on the map as well...

ill go with the UFO approach, thanks guys. and i am VERY MUCH sorry if my even asking this question bothers anyone. total brain fart on my part, wasnt thinking at all... i should have at least waited a couple days to post it.

thanks and sorry again, JV

IP:

NeoKi
posted September 12, 2001 12:06 PM            
Ok I admit that I skipped some of the stuff you wrote JV, but I like the hole buildings thing, the planes on the other hand are well, L7. So here's the thing, drop the planes, keep the buildings. Ya know I thought of a cool map. It's modeled after the non-Golden Gate Bridge. In fact it would be a CTF map, on both sides of the bridge are flags. Of course, bellow is water.

------------------
Sushi

IP:

Rex R
posted September 12, 2001 01:42 PM            
JV I've got a fairly low poly mesh that could be used as a 'ufo' w/little work(the original skimmer)

IP:

LordDrow
posted September 12, 2001 03:06 PM            
Would not bother me JV, but would probably be a bad idea to include the crashing planes. Save that for later. Shout me up on ICQ, should have it up and working again today finally.

=MM=LordDrow

IP:

JVortex
posted September 12, 2001 05:08 PM            
actually i was going to ask you about that rex, see if i could use a modified skimmer for the UFO, thanks .

and would be nice to see ya once in a while LD, get your comp (or whatever) fixed!!!

(btw, thus far the reworking is going ok)

IP:

Sailor
Administrator
posted September 12, 2001 05:21 PM            
JV I like your idea, but most are correct the timing is not right at the current time. A later release would be the proper answer - later meaning considerably later. The replacement of the planes with UFO's sounds very good. We never did like those stinking aliens from Independence Day anyway so go for that mode if it works out. In the mean time keep the work rolling - your work rocks.

------------------
May you always have a following Sea and the comfort of those you hold nearest to your heart.

IP:

=DNX= Matrix
posted September 12, 2001 09:05 PM            
i have some good ufo low poly meshes from battlezone that for certain resons cant be used... if you want them you would be welcome.

IP:

Rex R
posted September 13, 2001 03:55 AM            
should be in the 'mail' by tomorrow afternoon, less you don't mind starting with a .prm format

IP:

JVortex
posted September 13, 2001 11:12 AM            
actually i was just struck w/ a rather entertaining idea... the UFO approach will work much better. i can wait no problem for the modified skimmer rex, and thanks again. matrix go ahead and send what u have, ill give them a look thru. one model will be the flyer, another one will be used for more entertaining purposses...

thanks for your replies guys.

IP:

Rex R
posted September 13, 2001 12:14 PM            
well just sent the skimmer, all 96 pollies(+ texture page).

IP:

BamZipPow
posted October 02, 2001 02:14 AM            
Hey JV,

I'm going to try my first mod...the ID4 alien attack ship. Doing my research now...already have the MS CFS files to work from. Boy this is really fun!

If I'm lucky enough, would you want my files? Depending on how quickly I learn this new 3D modeling stuff, it may need more tweaking than I can do. What do you think?

BamZipPow
...how things get fragged

IP:

JVortex
posted October 02, 2001 02:22 AM            
you making it as a weapon or a tank? well, no matter, het ahold of me on ICQ (42735260) or AIM (JVortex) and we can compare notes .

IP: