|
Author Topic:   How do I copy a list of filenames
The Weatherman
posted September 08, 2001 11:07 AM         
I figure this is one for you modders:
How can I copy a list of file names in a directory. Say I wanted to be able to cut and paste a list of .ents to make a a quick server pack description. I have tried to cut and paste from the C: prompt window with varieng sucess. It behaves strangely , requiring several attempts of highlighting and ctrl-C to get the copy to work.
Any suggestions?

IP:

Dreamer
posted September 08, 2001 12:13 PM         
code:

dir "Directory""file wildcard" >"output file"

at a command prompt might help.
the ">" directs the output of any dos command into the specified output file which may, but doesn't have to exist beforehand.

IP:

The Weatherman
posted September 08, 2001 12:32 PM         
You da man, D!
i navigated to the folder and typed
dir /B > filelist.txt
and got a text file of only filenames.

IP:

_HAMMER
posted September 08, 2001 07:13 PM            
Well, here is the 32bit alternative, a little utility that, as a programmer, I could not get along without. It is called Path Copy 3.0.

It installs an entry on your right click, context menu, called CopyPath. And in Windows Explorer you just select all the files you need and then right click and choose CopyPath, then Copy Long Name, then paste the list wherever you need to.

It also copy's short name, long name or short path, long path or short and long UNC path for networks and even copy internet path. It even allows you to set up custom path copy's for times when you need to replace a certain part of the path with diffent text.

For example: copy internet path uses the file:/// prefix but you can set up a custom PathCopy to replace file:///inetpub/folder/file.htm with http://mysite.com/folder/file.htm

It works on Windows 95, 98, NT4, and 2000 and best of all it is FREE!!!!

[This message has been edited by _HAMMER (edited September 08, 2001).]

IP:

The Weatherman
posted September 10, 2001 03:42 PM         
Thanks, Hammer. That solution is much easier than the dos method. Course, it doesn't earn as many geek points either
Cool little proggy!

IP: