|
Author Topic:   map (user made)Question
Rex R
posted August 15, 2001 12:52 PM            
Q is it possible to make a map and know how far apart things are?, like to make a request. would like a 'proving ground' map for testing mod weap.s does not need to be fancy(flat is good) main requirements are, need dummy tanks and general weapon spawn points. bonus, if poss to have range markers say every 50 meters(1 row) out to 400 or 500 meters(could be waypoints,flags)

IP:

JVortex
posted August 15, 2001 03:24 PM            
making a flat (full height probably) map like that should be doable. place all the spawn points on one side and then make a custom sculpture (cube) that is very wide and very flat to be placed in the ground every so many meters. a modified weapons training map setup should work ok for that.

of course need to know how many meters long a map is in the first place... i know that it would depend on the maps resolution. RC? LDA? anyone?

------------------
Let the rocks roll and the battle commence. BZ The RPG. Check out the site! Loads of Tread Marks support and AddOns. (Under Heavy Construction) The non-TM areas of the site have been resurrected!

IP:

Dreamer
posted August 15, 2001 05:05 PM         
1 pixel map input heightfield is calculated as equivalent to 1 meter in-game, as far as I remember. A grey value difference of 1 equals only .25 meters, though. TMapper scales maps by a factor of 2 in height to make terrain features easier to discern.

IP:

Rex R
posted August 16, 2001 02:28 AM            
would that make a 1024^2 map a tad over a kilometer per side?

IP:

peeeto
posted August 16, 2001 11:33 AM         
yes, >1km per side.

suggestion (i've thought about a "proving ground" map too ):
for the map, make the flat area at the intermediate elev., so craters & hills effects can be seen.
also, add an "observation" hill with a flat top (or a hill with bleacher-like steps), so that observers can watch the fun.
make the distance markers sprites with the distace listed on a sign - like a golf driving range

IP: