|
Author Topic:   Random weapon (?)
TurdHeart
posted August 13, 2001 06:36 PM            
Hi all. I love the random weapon mod, but you've probably noticed that is has a problem. If you pass thru the question mark without picking up the weapon, a new weapon will appear, causing weapon overlaps - sometimes lots of them. Is there a way to fix this, or maybe it was the intention from the beginning?

I'd try and fix it, but I'm really dumb.

Cheers, Turd

IP:

Vlad
posted August 13, 2001 07:55 PM            
Nope, no way to fix it, really. The Random Weapon acts like a powerup, like the repair, ammo box, etc. When you pick it up, all it does is spawn a spewer that picks a weapon to drop randomly.

Also like the ammo boxes/repair, there's no way for the game to know if you've got a weapon or not, and it will be picked up no matter what.

Only possible workaround would be to make it a "weapon" that picked a weapon for you when you fired....

IP:

peeeto
posted August 14, 2001 12:04 PM         
no way to offset it?

IP:

coax
Administrator
posted August 15, 2001 01:13 AM            
could you make the question mark smaller, so it would be harder to not pick up the weapon. Or is the old adage in effect "size doesn't matter"

IP:

Rex R
posted August 15, 2001 02:27 AM            
well I think jv tried using an offset. course the problem just gets moved to a new location. the size of the Q-mark seems to have little effect in regards to the visable sizes. I shall have to check it out to be sure though

IP:

Vlad
posted August 15, 2001 11:29 AM            
Either way, the same problems apply. You're gonna get the stack o' weapons no matter what. The only way to get around that is to change the way that the random weapon works. You could make it so that you pick up the question mark, then you get a "random weapon" weapon, that gives you a random weapon when you press fire.

That would solve the problem, but make the random weapon a little more awkward to use.

IP:

JVortex
posted August 15, 2001 03:14 PM            
yes changing the way the random weapon functions is really the only way to fix the problem. there is a second way to call in the weapon entity where you can set a TimeToLive on it of like 5 seconds. so you can either pick the thing up or ignore it and it will dissapear. problem is that doing it that way the weapon just site there and doesnt rotate like normal. looks pretty cheesy and just ruins the effect.

there is yet a different approach that im playing with that may work as well however. its too much typing to explain, but ill post here if it works out.

------------------
Let the rocks roll and the battle commence. BZ The RPG. Check out the site! Loads of Tread Marks support and AddOns. (Under Heavy Construction) The non-TM areas of the site have been resurrected!

IP:

Vlad
posted August 15, 2001 03:32 PM            
Uhhh... TimeToLive doesn't affect the Weapon class.

IP:

JVortex
posted August 15, 2001 06:28 PM            
i know TTL doesnt effect weapon class, but trust me, there is a way .

im just trying to figure out how to make the thing spin like normal... (tho it does work fine).

IP:

Vlad
posted August 15, 2001 07:38 PM            
Enlighten me. Remember, we were talking about how to do something like this MONTHS ago...

IP:

JVortex
posted August 15, 2001 10:36 PM            
bear in mind that this is untested, but i believe it will work.

rebuild the qmark.lwo to throw it about 3 meters off center. let it rotate around the central point. then when u hit it its an explo that chains in the weapon mesh as a ent like a plasma mine (thus it doesnt rotate). colliding w/ the weapon modle would then chain in the actual weapon ent for pickup. this way a time to live could be set on the weapon pickup and it should keep things from appearing on the actual spawn point.

even if the offset from the spawn point doesnt work the time to live on the weapon will work just fine.

IP:

Vlad
posted August 15, 2001 10:47 PM            
True, but you still end up with the problem of a lot of weapons scattered about if you've already got a bolton.

Let's say that you've got an Avenger, and you try to pick this up, it chains in a projectile which blows up into the actual weapon pickup... which still sits there because you can't pick it up while you've got the avenger. While it doesn't leave all the weapons on the spawn point, it still leaves a weapon behind, which is what I believe was originally the problem.

IP:

JVortex
posted August 16, 2001 12:47 AM            
oh, no. it will chain in a weapon pickup (well technically its a zero movement projectile w/ its explohit summoning the actual weapon) with a timetolive attached to it. so the weapon will only stay around for however long u set it for. this i know for sure will work just fine. problem is that doing it this way it wont rotate like a normal weapon, it is just stationary.

the part i dont know for sure that it will work or not is the orbiting effect. i still have yet to try that out.

IP:

Rex R
posted August 16, 2001 02:26 AM            
jl had a different approach on the ft&cd server. had a box setting on the spawn point, you could pick it up if you weren't carrying a bolt on (must have been weap class) then when you fired it spawned(?) the random weap.

IP:

Vlad
posted August 16, 2001 09:52 AM            
...which is exactly what I mentioned earlier in the thread :-)

And JVortex, that will still cause a weapon to sit around if you try to pick it up when you've already got something. If you try to pick up the projectile, it'll still count as a hit and spawn the weapon no matter what. There's no way for a projectile to know whether a tank hitting it has a weapon or not.

IP:

The Weatherman
posted August 16, 2001 01:29 PM         
In browsing over your arcane modders code-talk, I had an idea... how about a mine that looks like a weapon pickup or even, hehe, health spanners? Has this been done or even suggested in this very thread? (I was just skimming...)

IP:

Rex R
posted August 16, 2001 01:33 PM            
WM I've seen it done with spanners, nasty.

IP:

Vlad
posted August 16, 2001 01:45 PM            
Should be pretty easy... Even more so with spanners. Just make them give negative health.

Of course, the fact that they'd be where there's no spawn point would be a dead giveaway...

With weapons, it's a little trickier. Since they'd essentially be projectiles, like the plasma mines, the closest you could do would be to have the thing blow up when someone tries to fire it. I imagine it'd be much fun with the nuke...

IP: